Re: FS blog wodja freezing...

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 18, 2006
      So you have decided and found a way to write meta-æ, meta-ø and meta-y
      as one glyph, David?

      Regards,
      Stephan Schneider

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 18, 2006
        --- FS (Folkspreken) ---
        Roly,

        In de Meta-FS, dett ik hav makt til nu ik hav gebrukt mær oft
        ur-germanisk bokstavs (dett endsprek to de ur-germanisk forms). Manig
        stamms in de ur-germanisk skrivings end in "-b" (okso in Tydsk), lik
        "aber", "geløb", dett verd to "aver", "geløv". And wo wylld du mak de
        orthographi mær gelik to ur-germanisk? Det skin temlik interessant.

        Grøts,
        Stephan Schneider

        --- EN (English) ---
        Roly,

        In the Meta-FS, that I have made until now I have used more often PG
        letters (that correspond to the PG forms). Many stemms in the PG
        writing end in "-b" (also in German), like "aber", "geløb", that turn
        to "aver", "geløv". And how would you make the orthography more alike
        to PG? This seems quite interesting.

        Greetings,
        Stephan Schneider

        --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "Roly Sookias" <xipirho@...> wrote:

        > Ser kul mennish! Tanks. Ik hadd nit lest dis wen du sprak up-an et
        befor.
        > For en meta-FS ik wuld hav groter gern av en ortografí mer gelaik
        > urgermanish, aver et iss interessant end gud skraivd.

        Folkspraak. But I
        > have learnt that all of us have their own thoughts about which
        principles
        > should be taken into account for Folkspraak, and therefore we have
        so many
        > different Folkspraaks.
        >
        > But that is not the main problem, but the strange thing about our
        > collaboration is that, even though one of our motivations is to describe
        > similarities between the modern Germanic languages, there is a lack of
        > enthusiam for seeing that our descriptions of them have also
        similarities. I
        > tried to develop a description that shall represent al descriptions
        we made
        > - hopefully. I had called it "Boksprak", but I don't use that name
        any more.
        > Instead, I developed it to a "Meta-Folksprak", using a wording of David.
        >
        > The results you may see in the Wikibook, that I have made.
        >
        > http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Folksprak
        >
        > But it is in German. I hope you haven't forgot, that I have written
        you that
        > about one month ago. Until now noone has seen it as an official
        description,
        > also because it is not ready yet. It is for you, guys. I ask you to
        write
        > also your descriptions of FS as you see it into that Wikibook. A
        principle
        > of how that may work you may already see. The world shall see, what
        we have
        > made so far, I think. Maybe, you want to write in English, and for
        that you
        > want to write an English Wikibook. Also that would be welcome.
        >
        > I hope you aren't angry with me (again), for that I have made a step.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Stephan Schneider

      • Roly Sookias
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 18, 2006
          Ummm... et war de vokals ik taht up-an. [for example]: a-e ligatur for /{/,
          <eu> for PG /eu/, <au> for PG /au/ etc.

          In de Meta-FS, dett ik hav makt til nu ik hav gebrukt mær oft
          ur-germanisk bokstavs (dett endsprek to de ur-germanisk forms). Manig
          stamms in de ur-germanisk skrivings end in "-b" (okso in Tydsk), lik
          "aber", "geløb", dett verd to "aver", "geløv". And wo wylld du mak de
          orthographi mær gelik to ur-germanisk? Det skin temlik interessant.

          Grøts,
          Stephan Schneider

          --- EN (English) ---
          Roly,

          In the Meta-FS, that I have made until now I have used more often PG
          letters (that correspond to the PG forms). Many stemms in the PG
          writing end in "-b" (also in German), like "aber", "geløb", that turn
          to "aver", "geløv". And how would you make the orthography more alike
          to PG? This seems quite interesting.

          Greetings,
          Stephan Schneider

          --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "Roly Sookias" <xipirho@...> wrote:

          > Ser kul mennish! Tanks. Ik hadd nit lest dis wen du sprak up-an et
          befor.
          > For en meta-FS ik wuld hav groter gern av en ortografí mer gelaik
          > urgermanish, aver et iss interessant end gud skraivd.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 20, 2006
            Hi Roly (and David),

            FS seems to have 8 vowels:
            a e i o u ae oe ue

            (And I'm already using the ae-ligatur for /{/.)

            And FS seems to have 8 meta-vowels, which may be diphtongs, such as
            "eu" and "au". I think diphtongs may be very well associable to these
            metavowels:

            ^a - oa (like in EN "one" or Bavarian "(o)an" (EN "one")),
            ^e - ei
            ^i - ai
            ^o - ou
            ^u - au
            ^ae - eu
            ^oe - oi
            ^ue - iu

            I tried to use ^ae for PG <eu>, but I would need to check it all over
            again. The problem is I cannot _type_ ^ae as one glyph. :(

            But I didn't form FS "lîb" (for PG "hlaib") for EN "loaf", because FS
            "lêb" works even better, since it should yield both German "Laib" and
            EN "loaf", according to the predictions made by David.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 21, 2006
              David, I would still like to know if you intended to write meta-æ
              (and so on) as on glyph, with a circumflex.

              Thanks.

              Regards,
              Stephan Schneider

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 21, 2006
                Not if it presents too much of a problem. Ideally, I'd use æ with a
                macron. But not many fonts have this symbol available. æ with accute is
                more common. æ with circumflex just isn't available in any of the fonts
                that I have found.

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 22, 2006
                  Yeah, these signs are difficult... Both macron and circumflex might be
                  usefull, though. There are so many 'operations' performable on vowels.
                  Diphtongisation I would mark with a macron and something I call
                  re-monophtongisation I would mark with a circumflex. (Such an
                  orthography would be usefull only to write one's germanic mother
                  tongue in Meta-Folksprak.)

                  Diphtongisation (macron):
                  a e i o u æ ø y
                  oa ei ai ou au eu oi iu

                  Remonophtongisation (circumflex):
                  a e i o u æ ø y
                  o i e u a ø y æ

                  Umlauting:
                  a o u
                  æ ø y

                  Un-umlautung
                  e i
                  ø(/æ) y

                  With this in mind I made a "vowel map" that links the vowels one to
                  another. I you're interested, I could upload it.