Re: Folksprâk <-> Folksprak <-> Folkspreken

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2 10:02 AM
      Hi Roly,

      1. What do you mean the root is /spr{:k/?
      The verb goes "sprek sprak sproken", in the complicated FS, I pick
      out the present tense stem for the simple FS -> sprek.

      2.
      OK, here comes the long version:
      In German we use the prefix ge- very much, e. g. in order to express
      the collective of many objects (like in "Berge" - "Gebirge"). We also
      use it in order to substantivate (is that a word? - "make it a noun"
      I mean) verbs, where a co-notation is implied like "many people do to
      each other" (like in "Gespräch" - conversation). I thought of _not_
      using this for a simple FS, so I came up with the idea of using "-en"
      instead: "berg" - "bergen" (mountain - mountains), "sprek(e)" -
      "spreken" (to speak - the speaking among many people / language). It
      has an equivalent in German "das Sprechen" - the talking.

      3.
      I'm trying to make the simple version even more simple. The
      complicated one remains complicated, I just want to eliminate the
      diacritic signs from it. The prono would change probably, too, you're
      right. So in order to be coherent I should ask to transcribe "d-dash"
      as "dh" and so on.
      But the very step towards simplicity is that "Folkspreken".

      4.
      I exagerated. I just meant to eliminate most of them, not all. I just
      find a wording like "skuldeneren" excessive, and I prefer "skuldnern".

      And also this way:

      appelen > appeln
      broderen > brodern

      engelisk > englisk (without umlauting "anglisk", though)
      mennisk -> mennsk (without umlauting "mannsk", though)

      gelik > glik
      welik > welk

      Regards,
      Stephan Schneider

      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "Roly Sookias" <xipirho@...> wrote:

      > 1. Isn't the root /spr{:k/? Thus /spra:k/ would be expected.
      > 2. I don't really understand your proposed use of the <-en> suffix.
      What's