Re: [folkspraak] Folkspraak on Wikipedia

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 6, 2006
      The Folkspraak article is no long up for deletion on Wikipedia.
      Bafflingly and bizarrely there is new version of the article which has
      the Folkbier myth on it represented as fact! I can not ***king believe
      this! This new version of the article belongs more on Uncyclopedia

    • David
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 19, 2010
        I noticed that a new article on FS has gone up recently on Wikipedia. It originally started out with the bullshit story about folkbier.
        It's since then been corrected to something mostly accurate, although a little sparse. But what can really be said if there's no much of substance agreed on?
        I notice that along with the article being corrected (loosing the folkbier BS), it's come to the attention of the quality control. The article has once again been flagged as lacking notability, so it could be deleted again.

        My personal wish-list for the Wikipedia article, would be to have some sample text other than the Pater noster. I don't think that it's really a good text to quickly sample the flavour and nature of a language. It's got very small vocab, full of ancient words and and preserves a weird syntax inherited from whatever ancient languages that prayer first came from from.
        I personally prefer comparing the Universal declaration of human rights. We could have the first 2 sentences of that text -- in a few dialects. Of course we need to show some variety of dialects, to show the extent of disagreement (and how close they are are!)

        Also maybe a piece of text that isn't so well known. This gives an opportunity for those interested to attempt to decipher it. This can show the relative amount of mutual intelligibility with English or other languages.
      • Richard B
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 19, 2010
          Thanks for the information, David.  I copied and pasted the Folkspraak version of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights sentences which I found at onmiglot.com to the Wikipedia article.  I'm not very fluent in Folkspraak yet, so I don't know exactly which dialect it's it.  Perhaps others know.

          Richard
          Do one thing every day that scares you.
           Eleanor Roosevelt

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 19, 2010
            So are you the one who wrote the Wikipedia article for Folkspraak?

            The Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Omniglot was written by me -- a few years ago. I'd probably do it somewhat different nowadays. My own dialect of Folkspraak has evolved considerably over the years. And I have more than one dialect.

            I'd write the UDHR currently as follows:

            "All menschen are geberd fri ond gelik in werdighed ond rejten. Dee are begifted med ferstand ond gewitt ond schulde behandele elken in en gest aff broderschap."

            Or in my "Frenkisch" dialect as:
            "All menschen sinde geboren fry ond gelyk in werdigheid ond rejten. Dei sinde begifted mid ferstand ond gewitt ond scholde behand'le eilkein in en geist af brouderschap."

            --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Richard B <rboylern@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the information, David.  I copied and pasted the Folkspraak version of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights sentences which I found at onmiglot.com to the Wikipedia article.  I'm not very fluent in Folkspraak yet, so I don't know exactly which dialect it's it.  Perhaps others know.
            >
            > Richard
            > Do one thing every day that scares you.
            >  Eleanor Roosevelt
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Stephan Schneider
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 19, 2010
              I tried to keep the german article from being deleted. It was like boxing a glacier. Criteria for artificial languages were created and the article was deleted anyway. The guy that seemed to have the opinion that anything related to artificial languages should be wiped off the planet's surface, even tried to erase the user page I created from scratch. It survived.

              http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Stephan_Schneider/Germanische_Plansprache

              The topic is "Germanic Auxilary Language". I think, that's what we're trying to do here. By adding other GALs the article should increase in notability.

              I didn't finish the article, though. I guess I didn't want to try going through the "deletion hell" again (in German "Löschhölle").

              Regards,
              Stephan

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 19, 2010
                Here is my Sprak version of it, from
                http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Sprak/_Beispiele#Algemen_Erklaring_ov_de_Menschrechten_.28Artikel_1.29

                All menschen werd geboren fri ond gelik mid wert ond rechten. De er begifted mid ferstand ond gewitt, ond schull live ene mid de andere in en gest fan broderlikhed.

                Regards,
                Stephan