English Sounds

  • Michael Adams
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2002
      Made some modifications, and it does not always follow the
      English I speak, but ..

      p p=pit
      b b=ball
      t t=tag
      d d=dip/card
      k k/c=kit/character
      g g=guard/bag
      ? u=uh-oh t=hatrack
      f f=foot/gh=laugh
      v v=vest/dove
      th th=through
      dh (dh) th=the/their
      s s=soap ps=psycology
      z z=zip s=roads
      sh sh=shy/ss=mission
      zh (zh) s=measure
      h wh=who/h=hat
      ch ch=choke/match
      jh dj=judge, j=judge/ght=righteous
      m m=moose mb=lamb
      n n=nap, gn=design
      ng ng=sing
      l l=leaf/ll=lloyd
      r r=reef/fear
      tt t=writer dd=udder
      w w=with (voiceless W)
      y y=you/eau=beautiful
      wh voiced wh=which

      -m um=possum (um)
      -n on=button (un)
      -l le=single (ul)
      -r er=ladder (ur)

      ay i=bite (iiee?)
      aw ou=bout (ow?)
      oy oy=boy (oi) oi=boil

      i ea=beat/e=we
      I i=bit
      e ai=bait/eig=reign
      E e=bet
      ae a=bat
      u oo=boot/o=who
      U u=put
      o oa=boat/eau=beau
      ) ough=bought/augh=caught
      ah o=pot
      ^ u=but/ou=tough
      A a=among/u=focus/a=sofa

      --
      Love Humor or just love to share it?
      Then join or send to me at Adulthumor-l@egroups.com

    • francois haas
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 9, 2002
        May I send suggestions? I have been working on my own
        "Folkspraak" for years and am interested in yours... I
        think your concept is rather good but don't you think,
        that with so many vowels your Folkspraak is more
        English than germanic??? Common vowels of germanic
        languages are fewer...

        Sincerely

        François

      • Daan
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 9, 2002
          I suggest a smaller vowel system too:

          A - german bahn
          a - bath
          � - E, never schwa
          E - bed, if unstressed schwa
          e - lake
          I - bit
          i - beat
          O - bot
          o - boat
          � - german �
          u - boot
          � - german �

          For me the difference between bat and bed isn't clear anyways...
        • William G Beazley
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2002
            How about replace
            ae a=bat
            with
            æ a=bat

            þ th=through (it makes it easier to spell say Neanderthal).
            ð (dh) th=the/their

            additionally, I think replacing sh with a long s would be good well.

            What about g, y and j.

            Geld and Yield come from the same word which was geld but would be
            pronounced y/eld.

            So I get the impression that a North and Old Germanic G makes a rough Y
            sound.

            All 'gh's could as easily be spelled with a h, it was the french who
            added the g to the gh combo because the Ængles made a rough sound with
            it.

            The usually g sound as I remeber was made with an other letter.

            Michael Adams wrote:

            > Made some modifications, and it does not always follow the
            > English I speak, but ..
            >
            > p p=pit
            > b b=ball
            > t t=tag
            > d d=dip/card
            > k k/c=kit/character
            > g g=guard/bag
            > ? u=uh-oh t=hatrack
            > f f=foot/gh=laugh
            > v v=vest/dove
            > th th=through
            > dh (dh) th=the/their
            > s s=soap ps=psycology
            > z z=zip s=roads
            > sh sh=shy/ss=mission
            > zh (zh) s=measure
            > h wh=who/h=hat
            > ch ch=choke/match
            > jh dj=judge, j=judge/ght=righteous
            > m m=moose mb=lamb
            > n n=nap, gn=design
            > ng ng=sing
            > l l=leaf/ll=lloyd
            > r r=reef/fear
            > tt t=writer dd=udder
            > w w=with (voiceless W)
            > y y=you/eau=beautiful
            > wh voiced wh=which
            >
            > -m um=possum (um)
            > -n on=button (un)
            > -l le=single (ul)
            > -r er=ladder (ur)
            >
            > ay i=bite (iiee?)
            > aw ou=bout (ow?)
            > oy oy=boy (oi) oi=boil
            >
            > i ea=beat/e=we
            > I i=bit
            > e ai=bait/eig=reign
            > E e=bet
            > ae a=bat
            > u oo=boot/o=who
            > U u=put
            > o oa=boat/eau=beau
            > ) ough=bought/augh=caught
            > ah o=pot
            > ^ u=but/ou=tough
            > A a=among/u=focus/a=sofa
            >
            > --
            > Love Humor or just love to share it?
            > Then join or send to me at Adulthumor-l@egroups.com
            > To join then send a blank email to
            > adulthumor-l-subscribe@egroups.com The messages are

            Will Beazley
            Systems Administrator Equator Technologies
            FON: 512.502.2003 |EML: mailto:beazley@...
            FAX: 512.231.8108 |PAG: 888.213.7053
          • francois haas
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2002
              In faerose group gj(palatalized g) is pronounced like
              english "j" in Jack. Couldn't it be a good
              compromise??? and kj like ch like in church?

            • Stephan Schneider
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 28, 2007
                Hi (what's your name?),

                Welcome to the group. Let me give you some feed-back:

                These are features that I don't agree with, I have already thought about
                them before and decided another way for my version of FS.

                You use the ending "-e" for verbs. I use this, too, but for infinitives,
                not for the normal present tense. "ik kom", "kome" - "I come", "to come".

                You use "te". I use this, too, but only in order to have an unstressed
                form of "to": "to testyre" - "to destroy" (DE "zerstören")

                You use capital letters for nouns, I don't, as this isn't neccessary and
                German only.

                Apparently you write "-aa" at the end of a word ("fraa"). I write "-o"
                then (at the end of a word: ik go, ik sto, so, fro, ...).

                I use the plural ending "-en". "-e" is used for nominalisation: "god -
                de gode" - "good - the good one".

                A text with less propper names would be more adequate to discuss basic
                orthography issues.

                Bye,
                Stephan

                atamskuuk schrieb:
                > "Potet (Solanum tuberosum) er en Rotfrutt dat hore te de Famili
                > Potetplante. De Nam Potet komme fraa de Spenishes papa dat vider komme
                > fraa De Kuechua (Fr. pomme de terre; Ertepel). In nort Svearik er di
                > kaldet pärer. Okk in de sudlikest dele fon Svearik (Skåne od västra
                > Blekinge) habe di en likartig Nam, pärer od kunne in dise bide enig
                > okk bien kaldet pantoffler."

              • atamskuuk
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 29, 2007
                  I actually removed this before you answered, but ah, well.

                  Anyway, could you like me to the most recent list of words you guys
                  have written? Is it the one at the Folkspraak Institute website?

                  Oh, and "jag heter Adam", and I'm from Sweden.

                  --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Stephan Schneider <sts@...> wrote:

                  > Hi (what's your name?),
                  >
                  > Welcome to the group. Let me give you some feed-back:
                  >
                  > These are features that I don't agree with, I have already thought
                  about
                  > them before and decided another way for my version of FS.
                  >

                  > You use the ending "-e" for verbs. I use this, too, but for
                  infinitives,
                  > not for the normal present tense. "ik kom", "kome" - "I come", "to
                  come".

                  > You use "te". I use this, too, but only in order to have an unstressed
                  > form of "to": "to testyre" - "to destroy" (DE "zerstören")
                  >
                  > You use capital letters for nouns, I don't, as this isn't neccessary
                  and
                  > German only.
                  >
                  > Apparently you write "-aa" at the end of a word ("fraa"). I write "-o"
                  > then (at the end of a word: ik go, ik sto, so, fro, ...).
                  >
                  > I use the plural ending "-en". "-e" is used for nominalisation: "god -
                  > de gode" - "good - the good one".
                  >

                  > A text with less propper names would be more adequate to discuss basic
                  > orthography issues.
                  >

                  > Bye,
                  > Stephan
                  >

                  > atamskuuk schrieb:
                  > > "Potet (Solanum tuberosum) er en Rotfrutt dat hore te de Famili
                  > > Potetplante. De Nam Potet komme fraa de Spenishes papa dat vider komme
                  > > fraa De Kuechua (Fr. pomme de terre; Ertepel). In nort Svearik er di
                  > > kaldet pärer. Okk in de sudlikest dele fon Svearik (Skåne od västra
                  > > Blekinge) habe di en likartig Nam, pärer od kunne in dise bide enig
                  > > okk bien kaldet pantoffler."

                • atamskuuk
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 29, 2007
                    I actually removed the post before you answered, but ah, well.

                    Anyway, could you link me to the most recent list of words that you
                    guys have made? Is it the one at the Folkspråk Institute website?

                    Oh, and "jag heter Adam", and I'm from Sweden.

                    --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Stephan Schneider <sts@...> wrote:

                    > Hi (what's your name?),
                    >
                    > Welcome to the group. Let me give you some feed-back:
                    >
                    > These are features that I don't agree with, I have already thought
                    about
                    > them before and decided another way for my version of FS.
                    >

                    > You use the ending "-e" for verbs. I use this, too, but for
                    infinitives,
                    > not for the normal present tense. "ik kom", "kome" - "I come", "to
                    come".

                    > You use "te". I use this, too, but only in order to have an unstressed
                    > form of "to": "to testyre" - "to destroy" (DE "zerstören")
                    >
                    > You use capital letters for nouns, I don't, as this isn't neccessary
                    and
                    > German only.
                    >
                    > Apparently you write "-aa" at the end of a word ("fraa"). I write "-o"
                    > then (at the end of a word: ik go, ik sto, so, fro, ...).
                    >
                    > I use the plural ending "-en". "-e" is used for nominalisation: "god -
                    > de gode" - "good - the good one".
                    >

                    > A text with less propper names would be more adequate to discuss basic
                    > orthography issues.
                    >

                    > Bye,
                    > Stephan
                    >

                    > atamskuuk schrieb:
                    > > "Potet (Solanum tuberosum) er en Rotfrutt dat hore te de Famili
                    > > Potetplante. De Nam Potet komme fraa de Spenishes papa dat vider komme
                    > > fraa De Kuechua (Fr. pomme de terre; Ertepel). In nort Svearik er di
                    > > kaldet pärer. Okk in de sudlikest dele fon Svearik (Skåne od västra
                    > > Blekinge) habe di en likartig Nam, pärer od kunne in dise bide enig
                    > > okk bien kaldet pantoffler."

                  • Stephan Schneider
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 29, 2007
                      Hi Adam,

                      The so called Folkspraak Institute is out of date. The development and
                      discussion of this project takes place only in this group.

                      This is a set of sentences that Ingmar, David and Stephan (me) agreed on:
                      http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Folksprak/_Kurs

                      This is my word list:
                      http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Folksprak/_Wortschatz
                      http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Folksprak/_Wortschatz/_Fremdw%C3%B6rter

                      (One for mainly Germanic roots, one for mainly Romance roots.)

                      David's word list can be found in the files section ("Ueberlist").

                      Have fun!
                      Stephan