Re: stem

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005
      Sorry I didn't mean to sound as if I was belittling your work.

      Your stem finder doesn't seem to include "-er" as a suffix.
      Then you might encounter a few problem words such as "flatter" verb
      and "flatter" noun.

      I think the one big feature for me will be some means of identifying
      duplicate words.

      So for example, if one user adds a word like FS slîm n. = slime cf DE
      schleim, EN slime, NL slijm etc.
      and then another user adds a word like FS slaim = n. = snot, cf DE
      schleim, EN slime NL slijm etc

      There should be some routine that detects that these two entries
      should actually be the same word. For example it identifies new
      records that cite the same cognates as existing records.

      I'm not sure how difficult that would be for you to code...

      Evert Mouw <yahoo@e...> schrêv:

      > parked@x... schreef:
      > > Well it seems to work as advertised. But I'm not sure about the
      method, or what you want to achieve from this.

      > Clear enough, it will become a part of the big dictionary (the words
      > database), and being able to see a quick connection between english
      > words with the same root would be an advantage.
      >
      > > With a verb such as "to hop", the present participle and gerund in
      English is "hopping". This yields a stem of "hopp" in your software.
      Is this what you want? Also the stem of "hoping" (from hope) is "hop",
      which is as far as I can tell, the correct stem for "hopping".
      > > With "copies", the correct stem would be "copy" not "copie"?
      >
      > Thanks, I'm going to think about how to improve the method to tackle
      > your examples :-)
      >
      > Evert

    • Evert Mouw
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
        David Parke wrote:

        >Sorry I didn't mean to sound as if I was belittling your work.
        >
        >Your stem finder doesn't seem to include "-er" as a suffix.
        >Then you might encounter a few problem words such as "flatter" verb
        >and "flatter" noun.

        Thanks a lot for your testing and feedback, it helps me improve the
        code. I will work on it after this weekend.

        >I think the one big feature for me will be some means of identifying
        >duplicate words.
        >I'm not sure how difficult that would be for you to code...

        This is actually why I'm testing this "stem recognition" code. It will
        be implemented, in the future far away :-)

        Evert
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
          What about "-ish" as a suffix? Of course, you then run into the problem
          of words that really end in "ish". Such as banish, finish, flourish,
          wish, fish.

          Also what about "-ly".

          The "-y" suffix doesn't seem be recognised at all. "Funny" should have
          "funn" as the the stem. "Lousy" should have "lous" as the stem.

          "Packages" yields a stem of "package" but "packaging" and "packaged" get
          a stem of "packag". "Packagy" (not a real word, but potentially a real
          word as an adjective for something that is full of packages) has a stem
          of "packagy"

          Evert Mouw schrêv: