Re: Utlegging fon stemspraken-poll resultaten

    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 2, 2005
      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "tungol65" <rdw.young@n...> wrote:
      > Here is my interpretation of the poll results about what languages
      > (stemspraken?) to use in Folkspraak and how they are weighted.
      >
      > Languages to be considered when creating Folkspraak
      >
      > * Standard English (including Scots)
      > * Standard High German (including Schwiizertí²³í´³ch, Alemannic,
      > Bavarian all other High German dialects)
      > * Low German and Low Saxon (Plattdeutsch & Niedersachsisch)
      > * Standard Dutch (Nederlands) (including Afrikaans)
      > * West Frisian
      > * Danish
      > * Swedish
      > * Norwegian (Nynorsk)
      > * Icelandic
      > * Interlingua (only in tie-break situations and internationalisms)
      > * Slovio (only in tie-break situations and internationalisms)
      >
      > Dialect words can only be used, where the meaning is well known
      > (e.g. English "bairn")
      > Archaic words can only be used, where the meaning is well known
      > (e.g. English "thou")
      >
      > Languages not to be considered when creating Folkspraak
      >
      > * Yiddish
      > * North Frisian
      > * Norwegian (Bokmal)
      > * Faroese
      >
      > Languages with no clear decision
      >
      > * Gothic
      >
      > Weighting & Points
      >
      > The weighting should be by graduations (the lowest gets 1 point,
      the
      > next highest gets 2 points and so on). Number of speakers
      (primary)
      > data from Wikipedia.
      >
      > (9 points) English (380,000,000)
      > (8 points) German (95,000,000)
      > (7 points) Dutch (30,000,000)1
      > (6 points) Plattdeutsch (10,000,000)2
      > (5 points) Swedish (9,300,000)
      > (4 points) Danish (5,500,000)
      > (3 points) Nynorsk (690,000)3
      > (2 points) West Frisian (530,000)4
      > (1 point) Icelandic (300,000)
      >

      > Notes
      > 1. Including Afrikaans.
      > 2. Figure from Ethnologue.com (number who understand the language).
      > 3. Mean of 360,000 – 700,000 estimate.
      > 4. 10%-15% of total of 4,600,000 Norwegian Speakers.

      Actually:
      3. 10%-15% of total of 4,600,000 Norwegian Speakers.
      4. Mean of 360,000 – 700,000 estimate.

      Right?

      Hmmm, OK, so Bokmål isn't included, at all? Neither together with
      Danish or with Nynorsk? Also, this score would probably favor
      Scandinavian too much, since the Scandinavian languages together
      will get a larger score than either English or German...

      Anyway, I'll try it out with a few of the classical Tie cases I have
      from before (I'd need a good dictionary of Plattdeutsch, WF and
      Icelandic) :

      Knîf/Messer
      Knîf= 9+5+4+3=21
      Messer= 8+7=15

      Gaffel/Fork
      Gaffel= 8+5+4+3=20
      Fork= 9+7=16

      Schinke/Ham
      Schinke= 8+5+4+3=20
      Ham= 9+7=16

      Tré/Boom
      Tré= 9+5+4+3=21
      Boom= 8+7=15

      Wág/Bylge (Wave)
      Wág= 9+8+5+4+3=29
      Bylge= 9+6+5+4+3=27

      Hmmm, so far, the method has resulted in a Scandinavian word in all
      cases, if I got a good Plattdeutsch dictionary, it could possibly
      change the results somewhat, though...

      I need to think this over, the Continental WG languages get a mean
      21 score result, though, so maybe that is a good balance.

      Good draft, anyway...
    • Roly Sookias
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 3, 2005
        wakuran_wakaran wrote:

        >I think I understood it, I just thought it was complex...

        OK! Well I spose it is then! :-)