Re: folkspraak's own font

  • BriBri56@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7, 1999
      In a message dated 8/6/99 2:46:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time, schilkej@...
      writes:

      << It seems to me, a long-time Esperantist, that one exasperating
      and fatal flaw (perhaps amongst others) with that language is its
      orthography. The superscripted letters are a nuisance, and the business
      of using ^, x, or h to as a substitute results, IMO, in an ugly mess. >>

      I agree. We Sxouldn't cxanjxe the ortxography!
      As Grimm said to Zamenhof, "Orthography is Destiny!"
    • Jeffrey Henning
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7, 1999
        I agree with John -- we should be able to use ASCII. And y might be a good
        schwa.

        I too am annoyed by Esperanto's font issues.

        Now you can have different fonts for ASCII, so there is nothing to stop one
        of the more artistic among us from creating a unique font (script) for
        Folkspraak. If it is based on ASCII, someone can change the font to one
        they recognize.

        Best regards,

        Jeffrey Henning
        LangMaker.com - Invent Your Own Language
        Jeffrey.Henning.com - Croatian Notation, Santa Paravia & Fiumaccio for
        Windows
      • Dan Dawes
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 9, 1999
          Did Grimm really say that to Zamenhof?

          << It seems to me, a long-time Esperantist, that one exasperating
          and fatal flaw (perhaps amongst others) with that language is its
          orthography. The superscripted letters are a nuisance, and the business
          of using ^, x, or h to as a substitute results, IMO, in an ugly mess. >>

          I agree. We Sxouldn't cxanjxe the ortxography!
          As Grimm said to Zamenhof, "Orthography is Destiny!"

          ONElist: your connection to online communities.

          Folkspraak Discussion List, http://www.langmaker.com/folksprk.htm
        • Jeffrey Henning
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 9, 1999
            From: "Dan Dawes" <dawes@...>

            >> As Grimm said to Zamenhof, "Orthography is Destiny!"
            > Did Grimm really say that to Zamenhof?

            Grimm also didn't say, "You should have used my fairy tales rather than Hans
            Christian Andersen's in your first translations!"

            Jeffrey