God, Good, Gaut and like

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2001
      From my readings, it seems that when Germanic tribes became Christian,
      they adapted a Germanic deity to the new faith. Instead of Deus or
      like, they called in God, from the old Germanic deity called
      Gaut/Ghaut or like. Which seemed to have been a fertility deity of
      some sort. It sort of fits, much like how we use "Cold as Hell" when
      the original for it, Hades is hot or gloomy, or the Hebrew original is
      hot or removed from reality. Basically some residue of Hel or like
      diety came over, same as Gaut. Or am I totally off base?

      Email me directly, just have way to many lists to read them all at
      times..

      Mike/Morgoth