Re: Strong Verbs

    Message 1 of 133 , Jun 17, 2005
      Here are some strong verb paradigms I have been working upon. I have
      made the paradigms for each verb class artificially regular. If we are
      going to have strong verbs in FS, they should be as easy to learn as
      possible. Besides each of the strong verb examples, I have given a
      "STRENGTH" score. This represents, the number of sourcelanguage
      branches in which the verb appears AND is strong.

      Class I
      INFINITIVE / PRETERITE / PERFECT / MEANING / STRENGTH
      *î* / *ei" / *i**en (before a stop consonent) *ie*en (before a
      fricative or liquid consonent)
      bîte / beit- / bitten/ to bite / 4
      drîve / dreiv- / drieven / to drive, to incite / 4
      grîpe / greip- / grippen / to grip / 3
      rîde / reid- ridden / to ride / 4
      schîne / schein, / schienen / to shine / 4
      smîte / smeit / smitten / to throw / 4

      Class II
      INFINITIVE / PRETERITE / PERFECT / MEANING / STRENGTH
      *ie* or *y* / *œ" / *o*en
      biede / bœd- / boden / to offer / 4
      ferliese /ferlœr- /feloren / to loose / 3
      fliege / flœg- / flogen / to fly / 4
      friese /frœs- / frosen / to freeze / 4
      kyse /kœs-, /kosen / to choose / 2
      lyge / lœg- / logen / to tell lies / 3
      schyte / schœt- /schoten / to shoot / 4

      Class III
      INFINITIVE / PRETERITE / PERFECT / MEANING / STRENGTH
      *i**e or *e**e / *a** / *u**en
      binde / band- / bunden / to bind / 4
      fejten / facht- / fuchten / to fight / 3
      finde / fand- / funden / to find / 4
      helpe / halp- / hulpen / to help / 2
      rinne / rann- / runnen / to run / 2?
      singe / sang- / sungen / to sing / 4
      springe / sprang- / sprungen / to jump / 4
      swimme / swamm- / swummen / to swim / 3
      winde / wand-/ wunden / to wind / 3
      ðwinge/ ðwang-/ ðwungen / to force /3

      Class IV
      INFINITIVE / PRETERITE / PERFECT / MEANING / STRENGTH
      *e*e / *a* / *o*en
      bere / bar- / boren / to bear / 3
      breke / brak- / broken / to break / 3
      komme / kam- / komen / to come / 4
      spreke / sprak- / sproken / to speak / 3
      stecke / stak- / stoken / to stab / 4
      stelen / stal- / stolen / to steal / 4
      BTW "spreke" is official a Class V verb, but it behaves in the modern
      germlangs exactly like a Class IV. Go figure.

      Class V
      INFINITIVE / PRETERITE / PERFECT / MEANING / STRENGTH
      *e*e / *â* / *e*en
      bidde / bâd- / beden / to pray / 4
      ete / ât- / eten / to eat / 4
      fergete / fergât- / fergeten / to forget / 3?
      geve / gâv- / geven / to give / 4
      lese / lâs- / lesen / to read / 3
      liegen / lâg- / legen / to lie / 4
      seje / sâj- / sejen / to see / 4
      sitte / sât- / seten / to sit /4
      trede / trâd- / treden / to step / 3

      Class VI
      INFINITIVE / PRETERITE / PERFECT / MEANING / STRENGTH
      *a*e or *e*e / *ou* / *a*en/
      drage / droug- / dragen / to pull / 4
      fare / four- / faren / to travel / 2?
      grave / grouv- / graven / to dig /2?
      heve / houv- / haven / to lift / 3
      lade / loud- / laden / to load / 3
      slaje / slouj- / slajen / to hit / 4
      swere / swour- / swaren / to swear / 3

      Class VII
      INFINITIVE / PRETERITE / PERFECT / MEANING / STRENGTH
      *a**e or *â* or *œ*e / *ie* / *a*en or *œ*en
      falle / fiel- / fallen / to fall / 4
      halde / hield- / halden / to hold / 4
      lâte / liet- / laten / to allow / 4?
      lœpe / lief- / lœpen / to run / 2
      râde / ried / raden / to advise / 3?
      slâpe / sliep- / slapen / to sleep / 2
      Complicated verb class with extremely difficult paradigm.

      So the verbs that are strong in 4 branchs of the sourcelangs are as
      follows:

      Class I
      bîte
      drîve
      rîde
      schîne
      smîte

      Class II
      biede
      fliege
      friese
      schyte

      Class III
      binde
      finde
      singe
      springe

      Class IV
      komme
      stecke
      stele

      Class V
      bidde
      ete
      geve
      liegen
      seje
      sitte

      Class VI
      drage
      slaje

      Class VII
      falle
      halde
      lâte

      So that's 27 strong verbs, that I think should definitely be used in
      FS. Not too difficult to remember. Especially if you can memorise the
      verb classes and use them for deriving the pt and pp.
    • folkspraak@yahoogroups.com
      Message 133 of 133 , Mar 13, 2009
        The following folkspraak poll is now closed. Here are the
        final results:

        POLL QUESTION: INDICATIVE POLL. NON BINDING
        What should the responsibilities of the moderator(s) of the Folkspraak group be? Of the following options, each has cumulatively more power and it should be taken as a read that each option includes the powers listed in the previous options. So for example choice 5 will include the powers listed in Choice 5 and also those in Choices 1-4. Please choose carefully, I was unable to get the poll to list the options in numerical order, so pay attention to the numbers.

        CHOICES AND RESULTS
        - 4. The moderator should intervene by issuing reminders to members to avoid annoying off-topic and abusive posts., 2 votes, 22.22%
        - 5. The moderator should actively intervene in the case of annoying/abusive posts by moderating/blocking the posts of offending members., 3 votes, 33.33%
        - 2. The moderator should do nothing exept make changes to the group setting as requested by the group members as the result of a group poll., 0 votes, 0.00%
        - 6. The moderator has the descretionary power to approve new memberships and approving new members' posts., 0 votes, 0.00%
        - 1. At this stage the moderator should do nothing except have the power to create a sucessor moderator when we decide what we at a later date what we want to do., 0 votes, 0.00%
        - 3. The moderator should keep the group free of spammers. He/She has the discretionary power to delete spam posts, links and files and ban spammers., 0 votes, 0.00%
        - 7. The moderator has the descretionary power to ban abusive or destructive members., 2 votes, 22.22%
        - 8. The moderator acts as Group President, directing the overall effort of the group. This could include having over control over the form of FS and insisting on the usage of standardized forms., 2 votes, 22.22%
        - 9. Other. Please share with the group what you think,, 0 votes, 0.00%

        INDIVIDUAL VOTES
        - 4. The moderator should intervene by issuing reminders to members to avoid annoying off-topic and abusive posts.
        - rdw.young@...
        - mr_clevver@...
        - roerd096@...
        - parked@...
        - stefichjo@...
        - anjarrette@...
        - meinNW@...
        - 8. The moderator acts as Group President, directing the overall effort of the group. This could include having over control over the form of FS and insisting on the usage of standardized forms.
        - yahoo@...
        - bribri56@...
        - 9. Other. Please share with the group what you think,

        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/folkspraak