Re: [folkspraak] Digest Number 150

  • cburd@islandnet.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2001
      > Message: 10
      > Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:26:25 -0700
      > From: "Dan Dawes" <dawes@...>
      > Subject: RE: Re: Grammatical Comparisons
      >
      > Basically when I put together the proposed Folkspraak grammar I just got
      > through studying a number of texts about interlingua. The Folkspraak
      > grammar is heavily modeled from the Interlingua approach to grammar. Of
      > course there are some arbitrary choices made just as there are in
      > interlingua, but the spirit is identical.
      >
      > The harder part is vocabulary. The interlingua vocabulary was put together
      > essentially by a single leader, Dr. Gode if I remember correctly, and then
      > only after a great deal of hard work and a lot of time. Folkspraak so far
      > does not have any one who is so qualified and dedicated to put together a
      > complete dictionary on such reasonable linguistic principles.

      I believe he had half a dozen to a dozen fulltime staff working for him -
      qualified Romance philologists - and several years. Not to mention
      Midtown Manhattan office space. We have computers, but they don't
      compensate.

      > I am led to believe that Interlingua is already for romance language
      > speakers, what we would hope Folkspraak to be for germanic speakers. As
      > truly pan-romance as Interlingua is, it still is not well known in the
      > romance language countries and certainly is not a serious competitor to
      > English as a lingua franca.

      If Gode ever intended it to be a competitor to English, he gave up
      that idea by the mid-1950s. Ia is niche language, though one might
      argue that it hasn't yet found its niche. I was briefly active in
      the Folkspraak project last summer, but I stopped contributing
      when I decided that there was no feasible application for FS. The
      Germanic-speaking zone is the one area of the world where the claim
      "they all speak English" is almost true. It would be fascinating to
      develop FS for its own sake, though I'm not sure I can devote the
      necessary time with a good conscience, considering my unfinished
      Interlingua projects, not to mention my need to earn a living. A
      really conservative FS, with well-crafted links back to Primative
      Germanic would be a work of art, and might even (to contradict
      myself) have practical application for language learning.

      Cheers,

      Chris
    • William G Beazley
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 18, 2001
        For any language to be adopted the needs to be a need for it!!

        English will probably be pruned at some point re-phoneticized to produce a
        bureaucratic form, something I say would be a good idea, a High English if you
        will.

        I think folkspraak needs to have a usage for it to be adopted.

        I think as a quick middle ground between all Germanic is key...

        cburd@... wrote:

        > > Message: 10
        > > Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:26:25 -0700
        > > From: "Dan Dawes" <dawes@...>
        > > Subject: RE: Re: Grammatical Comparisons
        > >
        > > Basically when I put together the proposed Folkspraak grammar I just got
        > > through studying a number of texts about interlingua. The Folkspraak
        > > grammar is heavily modeled from the Interlingua approach to grammar. Of
        > > course there are some arbitrary choices made just as there are in
        > > interlingua, but the spirit is identical.
        > >
        > > The harder part is vocabulary. The interlingua vocabulary was put together
        > > essentially by a single leader, Dr. Gode if I remember correctly, and then
        > > only after a great deal of hard work and a lot of time. Folkspraak so far
        > > does not have any one who is so qualified and dedicated to put together a
        > > complete dictionary on such reasonable linguistic principles.
        >
        > I believe he had half a dozen to a dozen fulltime staff working for him -
        > qualified Romance philologists - and several years. Not to mention
        > Midtown Manhattan office space. We have computers, but they don't
        > compensate.
        >
        > > I am led to believe that Interlingua is already for romance language
        > > speakers, what we would hope Folkspraak to be for germanic speakers. As
        > > truly pan-romance as Interlingua is, it still is not well known in the
        > > romance language countries and certainly is not a serious competitor to
        > > English as a lingua franca.
        >
        > If Gode ever intended it to be a competitor to English, he gave up
        > that idea by the mid-1950s. Ia is niche language, though one might
        > argue that it hasn't yet found its niche. I was briefly active in
        > the Folkspraak project last summer, but I stopped contributing
        > when I decided that there was no feasible application for FS. The
        > Germanic-speaking zone is the one area of the world where the claim
        > "they all speak English" is almost true. It would be fascinating to
        > develop FS for its own sake, though I'm not sure I can devote the
        > necessary time with a good conscience, considering my unfinished
        > Interlingua projects, not to mention my need to earn a living. A
        > really conservative FS, with well-crafted links back to Primative
        > Germanic would be a work of art, and might even (to contradict
        > myself) have practical application for language learning.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Chris

        Will Beazley '[Image]'
        Systems Administrator Equator Technologies
        FON: 512.502.2003 |EML: mailto:beazley@...
        FAX: 512.231.8108 |PAG: 888.213.7053