Re: heggkuning-2

  • David Barrow
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31 10:28 PM
      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "David Parke" <parked@x> wrote:
      > Could any of you continental germlang speakers out there understand
      anything of what I was saying? I don't think an English speaker would.

      > I've already been in contact with Reinhard Hahn of the Lowlands
      group and he has a copy of the text and sound file.

      I'll keep an eye out for it

      > --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "David Barrow" <davidab@t...> wrote:
      > > Yes, very good. How about sending the text and the sound file to the
      > > Lowlands group with an explanation of what Folkspraak is
      > >
      > > sassisch@y...
      > >
      > > Any other versions? With sound even better.
      >
      > Given the limitations of my microphone, soundcard, sound
      recording/editing software and
      > the need to keep the file size low enough to post on the internet,
      that's the best quality I
      > can do.

      It seems what I meant wasn't clear.

      I meant other member's versions and even better if they also come with
      sound like yours

      'sound even better' is not the same as 'even better sound'

      David Barrow
    • middelsprakeman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2005
        Hei David, hallo Folksprakers

        Ig ha lesed "De Heggkuning" up de A-site af Lowlands-L, on ig wil
        segge dat det is wirklig nik övel!
        Miin kompliments over det, David - on siin helpers naturlig okso.

        Wat ig findede okso prettig to se is dat "Heggkuning" is en leneword
        af Middelsprake "Heggeköng".

        Magschee ji wete ennoch dat ig ware alrede up Folkspraak Yahoo in
        2004 (nik so lang).
        Ig kom weder nu after ig ha seen "De Heggkuning", on ig finde dat
        jur sprake (FS) like alrede better den befor een jaar oller so.

        Mid frenlig gröte af de Middelsprakeman

        miin wirklig name is Ingmar Roerdinkholder, on ig hadde hir de name
        ingmarnr1 först, doch ig ha forgeted miin paswoord, darfor ig
        mottede kiose en nü name on dat is <Middelsprakeman>

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 18, 2005
          After to listening to your "heggeköng" sound file carefully, I have
          noticed that you seem to pronounce "w" as /P/. That is, it is a
          distinct sound from that used for "v". Is this deliberate or is it
          merely a sign of you Dutch accent?
          In my dialect /P/ is the sound that "w" should be pronounced with. It
          is too hard for my english-speaker lips to distinguish from /v/ sadly.

          --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "middelsprakeman"

        • middelsprakeman
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 19, 2005
            Mmm, I don't know. MS initial w- and intervocal -v- should be both
            the same sounds, something like Dutch and German w- and Scandinavian
            v-. Is that [P] in Sampa? If I distinguished them, it will be a sign
            of my Dutch accent, yes. But, in an international (con)language,
            people with different mothertongues always will have different
            accents too, and that allowed, I think. A mean, even a "Kiwi" and
            an "Aussie" already sound different, when speaking English, don't
            they?

            Gröte, Ingmar

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 19, 2005
              What I was taught about Dutch, was the "w" as in "wat" was a different
              sound from "v" as in "vat" or "schrijven". /P/ for "w" and /v/ for
              "v". Of course most Dutch now pronounce an initial "v" as /f/ these
              days, right?
              The /P/ sound in IPA notation looks like a curly v or halfway between
              a v and a u. Or a Greek lower-case Upsilon And that is the best way to
              describe /P/ -- halfway between /v/ and /w/.
              The German "w" sounds more like a /v/ to me, and the Dutch "w" sounds
              subtly different.
              I have noticed the people with strong Hindi accents sound to me like
              they are pronouncing their "w" as /v/ and there "v" as /w/. I think
              they are actually using /P/ for both of them.

              And yes Kiwis and Aussies do sound different, but only Kiwis and
              Aussies can hear the difference, much to (especially) New Zealanders'
              annoyance.