Updated list (was: Re: XLS?)

  • Martijn Lens
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 30, 2000
      --- In folkspraak@egroups.com, bribri56@a... wrote:
      > The umlauts and other special alphabet characters are in Roman
      > characters for a large set of words in German and the Scandinavian
      > languages. I transcribed those words from an older text that used
      > the English equivalents (ae, ie, ue, oe, ao, etcetera). Feel free
      > to update!

      Okay! ;)

      > Also, and I'm probably too late to rescue some words, when you edit
      > the list, could you put parenthesis around words that are still
      > accurate translations but perhaps quaint, regional, or out of
      > fashion? Then add the modern term.
      > These old-fashioned words are often etymologically related to other
      > words that are still current. Of course, if a word is just plain
      > wrong, then delete it. Also, sometimes one or two of the non-
      > English words are translated into another part of speech than the
      > others in the row. That's because the same spelling of an English
      > word can be a noun, verb or adjective ("The elect will elect an
      > elect candidate.") If you catch this, could you point out with (n)
      > (v) (ad) what part of speech it is, and add the right word?

      Well, I edited the list and indeed removed some old-fashioned words,
      but I still got the original list so I'll go over that again and see
      about those old-fashioned, regional etc. words and put the
      interesting ones in again :) (I didn't remove all of them)
      As for the nouns and verbs, I somtimes added (n.) or (v.) when I
      thought things got a bit confusing.

      > How did you send the Update Notification? Is it automatic or did
      > you write it? Its a good feature.

      It's possible to tick a box when you upload a file, so yes, it's sort
      of automatic ;)

      > Bye for now,
      > Brian

      Later,