Re: More words

  • simieska0
    Message 1 of 132 , Apr 3, 2005
      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "David Parke" <parked@x> wrote:

      > --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Aron Boström <aron@l...> wrote:
      > > söndagen den 3 april 2005 18.23 skrev Jan-Willem Benjamins:

      (Sydsvenska

      > > > I checked their site (http://sydsvenskan.se/omsydsv/ to be precise),
      > > > where no mention whatsoever is made of Snällposten. So the merger is
      > > > probably more or less forgotten by now. While living in Sweden I was
      > > > subscribed to Sydsvenskan, and only saw few references to
      Snällposten
      > > > when reading it.
      > > >
      > > > Jan-Willem
      > >
      > > It's abbreviation SDS (Sydsv.. Dagb... Snä..) still is in uses,
      but noone uses
      > > anything but the name "Sydsvenskan".
      > >
      > > Their main homepage is terribly inavailable.
      > >
      > > Once I subscribed to SDS for 1½ year, and to the best of my memory
      the small
      > > print on the top of the first page said "Sydsvenska Dagbladet
      Snällposten"
      > > and "since 18xx" (the year "Snäll-Posten" was first published).
      But I might
      > > be wrong.
      > >
      > > However, the important was that the newspaper, amongst many other,
      uses
      > > "Dagblad" in it's name.
      > >
      > > Aron
      >
      > Yes, the reason I asked was, would a word like dagblad be acceptable
      as the FS word for
      > newspaper? Since you also have NL dagblad, weekblad, and DE Blatt,
      Wochenblatt, I would
      > say it makes a very acceptable word for daily newpaper. The best I
      have seen anyway.

      DE: Tagblatt, Tagesblatt (<= so it's okay ;) )
      Message 132 of 132 , Jul 28, 2006
        Be sure to change the character encoding in your email client/browser to
        UTF-8.

        AVHANGIG
        a. = dependent
        NL afhangelijk, afhangend, DE abhängig, DA afhængig, NO avhengig, SV
        avhängig
        f. AV+ HANGE + -IG

        BÔT
        n. = atonement, fine, penalty, penance
        or possibly "BÔTE"
        EN boot (obsolete), NL boete, DE Buße, DA bod, NO bot, SV bot
        f. PG *bôt-

        CHARNIER
        n. = hinge, joint
        NL scharnier, DE Scharnier, IL cardine
        f. Fr. Charnière f. L. cardin

        DROG
        n. = drug, hallucinogen, narcotic, natural or artificial substance used
        as a medication, opiate
        or possibly "DROGE"
        EN drug, NL drug, DE Droge, DA droge, SV drog, IL droga
        f. (O)Fr. drogue, of unkn. origin.

        GRIPP
        n. = grip, handle, grasp
        EN grip, NL grip, DE Griff
        f. PG grip- weak base of GRÎPE

        HANGE
        v. = hang, suspend, attach
        or possibly "HENGE" or possibly two seperate verbs, one transitive, one
        intransitive.
        EN hang, NL hangen, DE hängen, DA hænge, NO henge, SV hänga
        f. PG *hang-

        HENGSEL
        n. = hinge, joint
        EN hinge, NL hengsel, DA hængsel , NO hengsel
        f. PG *hang-

        KAROT
        n. = carrot. Daucus carota
        cuisine. Or possibly "KAROTE"
        EN carrot, DE Karotte, IL carota
        f. L. carota

        MEDICIN
        n. = art and science of disease treatment and health maintenance,
        medicine, medication, remedy, substance used for medical treatment
        EN medicine, NL medicijn, DE Medizin, DA medicin , NO medisin , SV
        medicin , IL medicina
        f. L medicina

        MEDIKAMENT
        n. = medicament, drug, medication, medicine, remedy, substance used for
        medical treatment
        EN medicament, NL medicament, DE Medikament , DA medikament , NO
        medikament , SV medikament , IL medicamento
        f. L medicamentum

        NARKOMAN
        n.= drug addict, junkie
        EN narcomaniac, DA narkoman, NO narkoman, SV narkoman, IL *narcomano
        f. Gk narko + mania

        PASTINAK
        n. = parsnip. Pastinaca Sativa
        cuisine
        EN parsnip, NL pastinaak , DE Pastinak, DA pastinak, SV palsternacka, IL
        *pastinaca
        f. L. Pastinaca

        RADIC
        n. = radish. Raphanus sativus
        cuisine
        EN radish, NL radijs , DE Rettich , DA radise , SV rädisa , IL radice
        f. L radic-, radix

        SELERI
        n. = celery. Apium graveolens
        cuisine
        EN celery, NL selderij, DE Sellerie, DA selleri, SV selleri, IL seleri
        f. It. dial. Selleri ult. f. Gk selinon parsley.

        TITEL
        n. = title, caption, degree in science, dignity, distinctive appellation
        denoting rank or achievement, grade, heading, name, predicate
        EN title, NL titel, DE Titel, DA titel , SV titel, IL titulo
        f. L titulus

        TWÊŦIUDIG
        a. = ambiguous, equivocal
        Self explanatory compound
        DE zweideutig, DA tvetydig , NO tvetydig , SV tvetydig
        f. TWE + ŦIUDE + -IG

        UNDERTITEL
        n. = subtitle (of film, TV programme)
        NL ondertitel , DE Untertitel , SV undertitel
        f. UNDER + TITEL

        UNKLAR
        a. = unclear, vague
        EN unclear, NL onklaar, DE unklar, DA uklar, NO uklar, SV oklar
        f. UN + KLAR

        UNSEKER
        a. = unsure, insecure, anxious, fearful, lacking self-confidence,
        uncertain, unstable
        EN unsure, insecure, NL onzeker , DE unsicher, DA usikker , NO usikker ,
        SV osäker, IL insecur
        f. UN + SEKER

        UNŦIUDLIK
        a. = indistinct, vague
        NL onduidelijk, DE undeutlich, SV otydlig
        f. UN + ŦIUDE + -LIK

        VAG
        a. = vague, faint, hazy, indistinct
        EN vague, NL vaag, DE vage, DA vag, NO vag, SV vag, IL vage
        f. L vagus