Proposal for det Folksprak Kommunitie

  • Dinkel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2000
      (Print this... it's a lot easier to read!)

      I think you're definitely onto something there. I propose we all sign up (if we haven't already) to a particular Instant Messaging service, such as Yahoo or AIM (personally I'm a fan of Yahoo, simply because it works through fire walls and proxy servers). Then we should all chat in broken/pidgin Folksprak to each other. If I'm remembering correctly both of these services have the ability to conference or create chat rooms where multiple people can assemble. (see Community Assemblies below)

      Now. What I think is the problem with this project is that no decisions are being made. I understand and love the concept of the democratic contributions people are allowed to make to the development of Folksprak, but even in democracies decisions eventually have to be made. Our Folksprak community is currently unable to deal with this issue. Unlike other project communities we lack any real structure. So this is what I propose. We ORGANIZE.

      Administrative bodies:
      Community Chair (CC) - in charge of scheduling, organizing, and running Community Assemblies. May ask members of the community to form special committees to draft specific proposals.

      Charter Secretary (CS) - in charge of publishing and distributing the Official Folksprak Charter, Official Charter Amendments and Updates

      · Community Assemblies are where we, as a community, make "final" decisions on proposals to the language (now of course in a democracy nothing is final but at least this will give us a chance to have an "official" structure to the language we could all work from)
      · The CC will announce, via email, the schedule of an assembly at least seven days prior
      · Assemblies must be at least four weeks apart, so as not to be too intrusive on members' personal lives and to give everyone ample time to work on new proposals to the language
      · The scheduling of an assembly should be as accommodating to as many members as possible
      · Anyone is allowed to make proposals to the assembly (should be submitted to the community at least 3 days prior to assembly, so everyone has ample time to review the proposal)
      · The CC will run the assembly:
      - Announce any community news since the last assembly
      - Announce the Rules Proposals
      - Ask for any comments/changes to the proposals from the assembly
      - Ask for a vote on the proposals
      - Follow the same steps with the Words and Grammar proposals
      - Ask for general comments from the community
      · All votes and comments will be recorded by the CS
      · The CS will include all passed proposals to the Folksprak Charter and distribute the revised charter to all members and post the revised charter to a central public location, such as eGroups (The Folksprak Charter will be the total combination of all rules governing language creation, current wordlist, current grammar, as well as all rules governing the community)
      · Community members should register their Instant Messenger screen name with the CS for distribution

      Proposals:
      Words Proposal (WP) - editions to the "official" Folksprak word list
      Grammar Proposal (GP) - editions to the "official" grammar of Folksprak
      Rules Proposal (RP) - editions to the "official" rules language creation
      Structural Proposal (SP) - editions to the "official" rules of the community

      I've listed the proposal types by what I believe would be the most frequent type of proposal on top. Though I must say that the last two (Rules and Structural) are of the utmost importance at this point.

      First I would ask everyone who is wishes to be an active member of the community to just send a quick "I'm in." email, so we can see who's still among the living on this list.
      Second I would ask that all the active members think seriously about my proposal and vote on it via email by Monday October 2nd. Cool?

      After October 2nd, we can decide who will be the CC and CS. And start voting on these proposals.

      I guess this ends up being the first Structural proposal.

    • Dan Dawes
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2000
        Sure. I am in for anything. It sounds antithetical to the way a language
        naturally develops, but it may be a good organization for a study group to
        track what is going on by other Fokspraak users. I can't imagine English or
        German got started this way or continues to develop this way now.

        I propose we change the name from Folkspraak to Germanlisch and strike out
        to move English and German to their next stage of development, namely a
        quasi-merger. I figure we could complete it in less than 250 years given
        the speed of the internet and all. German seems to becoming more
        Englishsized everyday anyway. With Deutschland figuring to lead the EU, I
        suspect that English will become more germanized in the future by necessity.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2000
          Dinkel@... wrote:

          > (Print this... it's a lot easier to read!)
          >
          > I think you're definitely onto something there. I propose we all sign
          > up (if we haven't already) to a particular Instant Messaging service,
          > such as Yahoo or AIM (personally I'm a fan of Yahoo, simply because it
          > works through fire walls and proxy servers). Then we should all chat
          > in broken/pidgin Folksprak to each other. If I'm remembering correctly
          > both of these services have the ability to conference or create chat
          > rooms where multiple people can assemble. (see Community Assemblies
          > below)

          are you talking about instant messaging or a chat room? My browser won't
          let me. But I'm very interested in whats going on with Folkspraak. I
          think you're right. the most important thing that can happen to the
          language is that it gets *used*. this in itself can make alot of
          decisions for us.

          I'm the creator and firm believer of the anarchy tecnique. (Well alright
          nature is,) Create your Folkspraak word and inject it into your
          conversation. If its a good one, odds are people will pick it up and
          start using it. If not, it just falls by the wayside.

          In this way three purposes are served; one, folkspraak vocabulary and
          grammar gets created. Two, everyone gets a fair shot at helping to
          create the language. Three, we are actually *rolling*, speaking the
          languagem, the most important thing for any language.

          I guess this is pretty radical but whatever, something needs to happen
          and what ever it turns out to be I'll be glad that Folkspraak is on the
          go again.

          regards
          -Duke Keenan

          -Duke Keenan