Folkspraak, Folksprachk, Folksprak...

  • Lou Reyes
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 28, 2000
      Not sure if anyone is still on this list. I've just started my own
      personal revival with respect to Folksprachk. I'm looking for any and
      all materials you guys may have collected and/or started but never
      finished working on. if you'd be so kind to please forward it to me
      at Dinkel@.... if there is anyone still working on the project,
      what progress have you made? is anyone still up for working on the
      project?

      Thanks in advance!
      Dinkel
    • Dan Dawes
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 28, 2000
        Hurrah! Folkspraak survives. When you look at the numbers of Germanic
        speakers, it is undisputably obvious that the huge majority either speak
        English or German. Those few Germanic speakers who don't, speak English or
        German as a second language.

        Therefore, even a rocket scientist would conclude that if there were to be a
        Pan-germanic language, it ought to be a germanized version of English. To
        an extent that is what Folkspraak is, and thus it is good that it is being
        synthesized by English speakers.

        However, the development of the vocabulary suffers from some fundamental
        flaws. First, it is prescriptive, i.e. is being developed by some kind of
        an undisclosed choice of the list maker, and second is being developed in
        total isolation from the development of a literature or language usage. In
        other words, Folkspraak is being developed not as an actual usable
        pan-germanic language, but as a really fun hobby-speak by a few zealots.

        Thus, as a speak-geek myself, Folkspraak is headed for the wonderful
        boneyard of conlangs that decorate the internet, but no where else than a
        relative handful of harddisks.

        So what else could we do? Hard to say, but it might be interesting to see
        if we could use English and German dictionaries to develop a pidgin, called
        Folkspraak, to communicate with German speakers in internet chat rooms. The
        "literature" would then begin with an actual usage, albeit in the internet
        chatroom. From there we could only hope its utility might recommend it to
        other places. Something like vulgar latin might have been used by the
        barbarians I suppose. Unfortunately, the Germans seem to readily learn
        English rather than expecting the English speakers to germanize themselves.
        But who knows, maybe we could surprise them?
        Dan

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 28, 2000
          Hi

          > and second is being developed in total isolation from the development of a
          > literature or language usage.
          Well, I would specialize in writing some poetry...

          I like that idea :-)

          cu

          Andreas
        • Dan Dawes
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 28, 2000
            Go for it. You can circulate your poems on this list and for fun find some
            german list and see if anyone can understand the gist of the poems or what
            reaction you might get.

            Here's my contribution in free prose. Assuming you don't understand German,
            how much of this is understandable? I believe a German would have no
            trouble with it despite the fact that it definitely is not German.

            Folkspraak
            Dies ist ein Poetica uber ein Pangermanic-Sprache, der alle
            Germanic-sprecher kannen verstehen. Es ist ein pidgin-Form von Englisch und
            Deutsch, oder wir kannen sagen Germanlisch.

            Dort einmal lebten ein groß Folk
            dass begannen von alten teutonic-Stemmen
            sie aus breiteten uber nordwestlich Europa
            und uberkommen sogar Roma als Barbaren
            aber sie kamen zu Zivilisation
            Spannweit um die Welt
            und bildten groß Kulturen

            Im so Machen dies, sie verloren der Konnenheit,
            zu sprechen mit einander
            aber jetzt im third millenium
            sie kommen zusammen jetzt zurück
            auf dem Internet zu funden
            ihr Pangermanic-commonheit und
            sie anfangen mit der Melodie von Folkspraak.

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 29, 2000
              Hi

              > Go for it. You can circulate your poems on this list and for fun find some
              > german list and see if anyone can understand the gist of the poems or what
              > reaction you might get.
              But I do not the vocabulary/grammatic rules of folkspraak - is there a
              webpage about it?

              > Here's my contribution in free prose. Assuming you don't understand German,
              > how much of this is understandable? I believe a German would have no
              > trouble with it despite the fact that it definitely is not German.
              Well, I'm a native german speaker, so I understand everything :)
            • Dan Dawes
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 29, 2000
                yes. http://www.langmaker.com/folksprk.htm

                > Here's my contribution in free prose. Assuming you don't understand
                German,
                > how much of this is understandable? I believe a German would have no
                > trouble with it despite the fact that it definitely is not German.
                Well, I'm a native german speaker, so I understand everything :)
                I rest my case. I contend that most English speakers with a little effort
                could figure it out too. Joi la! Pan-germanic! Since you are a native
                speaker you and I could begin to develop a "literature" between us. Nicht
                so? From that would come, I imagine a basic dictionary in a relataively
                short time. It would be better if you were not also fluent in English so we
                could be sure that a German only speaker could understand Folkspraak. Do
                you have any monolingual friends who are conlang geeks? (An unlikely
                combination)

              • Andreas Beer
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 29, 2000
                  Hi

                  > I rest my case. I contend that most English speakers with a little effort
                  > could figure it out too. Joi la! Pan-germanic! Since you are a native
                  > speaker you and I could begin to develop a "literature" between us. Nicht
                  > so? From that would come, I imagine a basic dictionary in a relataively
                  > short time. It would be better if you were not also fluent in English so we
                  > could be sure that a German only speaker could understand Folkspraak. Do
                  > you have any monolingual friends who are conlang geeks? (An unlikely
                  > combination)
                  I've got an idea. I'm going to translate my whole homepage into folkspraak
                  and post on the internet instead of my real page. And than I'm waiting for
                  some response. But I need your help for the translation...

                  Today I susbcribed at the university Bonn for Linguistic studies, maybe
                  they'll teach me something helpful ;-)

                  cu

                  Andreas
                • Dinkel@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 30, 2000
                    I'll be happy to help Andreas! screenname is Dinkel on aol or aim...
                  • Dan Dawes
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 30, 2000
                      Wunderbar! Und wo ist deine Homepage?

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 30, 2000
                        Consider the Babel text in Folkspraak ala the moment. This is really bad,
                        but I wonder how many English and German speakers can understand it, more or
                        less?

                        Jetzt hatten der ganz Erd ein Spraak und fewnig Words.

                        2: Und als Manner vom Osten ubersedlten, fanden sie ein Prarie im Land von
                        Shinar und dort nieder setten sich .

                        3: Und sie sagten zu einander, kommen ", lassen machen uns ein Clay, und
                        thrulich feuer sie." Und sie hatten Clay fur Stein, und Bitumen fur Morter.

                        4: Dann sagten sie, kommen Sie, lassen uns bilden ein Stadt, und ein Turmer
                        mit seiner Tpitz im Himmelscloud, und lassen machen uns ein Name fur uns,
                        sonst wir bekommen zerstruin uber der ganz Erd.

                        5: Und der LORD kammen herunter, um der Stadt und den Turmer zu sehen, dass
                        der Sohnen von Manner hatten bilden.

                        6: Und der LORD sagte, beholden Sie, sie sind ein Folk, und sie haben alle
                        ein Spraak; und dies ist nur der Beginnen von das, was sie willen machen;
                        und nichts, was sie striken aus zu machen, willen fur sie jetzt unpossibel.

                        7: Kommen Sie, lassen uns Gehen hinunter, und dort stirren ihre Spraak, daß
                        sie vielleicht zu einander Sprachen nicht verstehen".

                        8: Deshalb zerstruin der LORD sie uber dem Face der ganz Erd, und sie
                        stoppen zu bilden die Stadt.

                        9: Deshalb sein Name Babel wurden gekalled, weil der LORD dort die Spraak
                        von der ganz Erd konfuset,; und von dort zerstreuin der LORD sie uber der
                        Face von der ganz Erd.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 30, 2000
                          well, i know my folksprak is rusty but wow! i couldn't get through it... =(
                          i better start working a little harder... question? where did you find the
                          vocab? are you taking it from the list posted in egroups? or is it your own
                          list? are you followin the rules for grammar set down in the original charter
                          or your own?
                        • Andreas Beer
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 30, 2000
                            Hi

                            > I'll be happy to help Andreas! screenname is Dinkel on aol or aim...
                            Well, I'm using IRCNet (Trickargl) and ICQ (17002681).
                            You can have a look at my page at http://abeer.home.pages.de
                            But I'm very busy at the moment because I have to move house, and start
                            my studies...
                            I tell you when I start working on this.

                            cu

                            Andreas
                          • Dan Dawes
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 2, 2000
                              If you are referring to the Babel Text what I did was run it through an L&H
                              translator to go from English to German. Then I started to butcher it to
                              try to translate it in a pidgen Germanlisch, making the grammar and word
                              order like English and Anglisizing the more difficult German words to
                              something I hoped an English speaker might be able to figure out without
                              losing so much of the German base that a German speaker would no longer
                              recognize it. I know a little German, so while I am a native English
                              speaker, my judgment is skewed, since I could read the German original
                              fairly well. The text was in fact readable by an English speaker who knew a
                              little German. But if there was no familiarity whatsoever with German, then
                              I am afraid it is a little tough.

                              Ideally Folkspraak should be understandable (but not 100%) by most English
                              and German speakers without either group having recourse to dictionary. It
                              ends up to be kind of a guessing game, which sometimes fails communication.
                              Hopefully 90% of it was understandable to each group.