Volcabulary files

  • chris.sandow@virgin.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
      Hello to everyone!

      I have just joined this mailing list, having come across Folkspraak a few weeks ago, and been entirely intrigued by it. It sounds like a fascinating project, and I would love to be involved.

      One thing which struck me was that it would be useful to have an agreed format for volcabulary entries, one which would be human-readable and also easy to parse using a computer program -- this would make it a trivial matter, for example, to automatically generate an HTML page for the volcabulary (and, more importantly, to easily update it).

      By default there seems to be an agreed format which can be adopted with only some minor tweaking:

      *** Proposed volcabulary file format ***

      Each line consists of two elements, separated by a hyphen (any white-space will be ignored).

      The first element is the Language Identifier, which should be an agreed abbreviation (a list of these would be useful). The identifier can be of any length.

      The second element is the actual word. This can be of any length.

      Comments can be included. Comment lines should begin with a ';'.

      Volcabulary entries are separated by lines which start with '*'.

      Would we want a line to identify the contributor of the entry (for subsequent praise or blame!) ?

      Example:

      FS-finden
      !!-Find
      EN-Find
      SW-finna
      DA*-finde
      DU-vinden
      GE-finden
      ; All but one of the languages had find to start with; it was just the
      ; ending that was debatable, and I thought that the -en ending was used the
      ; most and fit most into Folkspraak.
      ***

      My apologies if this seems like a dramatic first posting for a newbie -- consider a measure of my enthusiasm for the project!!

      Cheers!
      -- Chris Sandow
      chris.sandow@...
    • Chris Sandow
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
        Well, the formatting of my posting got completely messed up, so I am going
        to try and send the crucial part again:

[...]

        Let's see if that works...

        -- Chris Sandow
        chris.sandow@...
      • Jeffrey Henning
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
          From: chris.sandow@...

          > One thing which struck me was that it would be useful to have an agreed
          format for volcabulary entries, one which would be human-readable and also
          easy to parse using a computer program -- this would make it a trivial
          matter, for example, to automatically generate an HTML page for the
          volcabulary (and, more importantly, to easily update it).

          Makes sense. I would gladly write such a program if someone else would
          prepare and maintain the lexical file -- but we need more people to submit
          words.

          > *** Proposed volcabulary file format ***

          Seems acceptable.

          We should add a marker for the contributor of the Folkspraak word form.

          We should also add a ULD marker and mark the ULD # -- that way we can use
          the ULD entries for German, Dutch and English -- save some retyping.

          One way to proceed might be to get volunteers to prepare ULD entries for one
          language each (Afrikaans, the Scandinavian languages).

          ULD is at:

          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5383/uld2in.html

          So, Chris, do you want to take charge on maintaining the lexicon? :-)

          Best regards,

          Jeffrey Henning
          LangMaker.com - Invent Your Own Language
          Jeffrey.Henning.com - Croatian Notation, Santa Paravia & Fiumaccio for
          Windows
        • Chris Sandow
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
            Ok, I'm happy to maintain the lexicon.

            I haven't seen the ULD before, and having seen it I think I might suggest
            changing the volcabulary format to match the ULD format, and to use the ULD
            abbreviations. If I maintain the lexicon I will certainly write myself a
            program to handle it, and will probably import the words from the ULD, so
            using the same format would obviously be helpful.

            I will comb through the previous postings, and the Folkspraak notes, to see
            what words we already have. Presumably we need some of way of 'voting' (if
            that's the right word) on each word. How are we going to do this? Or do you
            already have a system?

            -- Chris Sandow
            chris.sandow@...
          • etherman
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
              > I will comb through the previous postings, and the Folkspraak notes, to
              see
              > what words we already have. Presumably we need some of way of 'voting' (if
              > that's the right word) on each word. How are we going to do this? Or do
              you
              > already have a system?

              AFAIK, we each get to be dictator. You submit the word and that's
              what it is. I haven't been on the list long, but I don't think there's been
              controversy. Probably because the words are usually so similar that
              there's not much room for debate.

              Etherman

              etherman23@...