English phoneme frequency

  • Kapitano
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000
      This is data from another project, that I thought
      you might be interested in. It shows the frequency
      of consonantal phonemes in english words.
      Column 1 gives the phoneme, column 2 gives
      the number of words in which that phoneme is the
      first, Column 4 the number of words where it's final,
      Column 3 the number where it's in an medial position
      one or more times, and Column 5 is the Total.
      The source is the SOED.

      This table may help in deciding which phonemes
      should be allophones in Folkspraak.

      Phoneme Initial Medial Terminal Total

      t 4582 35275 10437 50294
      n 2120 35764 10662 48546
      s 9888 31373 7037 48298
      l 3057 30715 7439 41211
      k 6982 26278 4559 37819
      r 4019 28646 402 33067
      m 5560 20727 3781 30068
      d 4610 18453 4945 28008
      p 7719 18034 1043 26796
      b 3438 11224 350 15012
      f 3481 9915 629 14025
      g 2348 8131 455 10934
      v 1918 7379 1211 10508
      z 477 7380 2542 10399
      S 1110 6690 807 8607
      j 843 6657 38 7538
      h 2917 4206 4 7127
      dZ 1157 4627 604 6388
      w 1579 4699 0 6278
      N 2 3894 1805 5701
      D 48 4475 64 4587
      T 604 2582 340 3526
      ks 1 2390 598 2989
      tS 518 2067 295 2880
      Z 60 721 199 980
      ts 67 609 118 794
      x 16 213 65 294
      gz 1 168 7 176
      dz 3 113 56 172
      J 0 74 9 83
      C 0 33 8 41
      H 0 28 0 28

      - Kapitano
      "A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
      - Joe Theisman (football player)