  • Ray Cote
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2000
      Unfortunately, for the past few months I've been too busy
      to take part in this project, so my comments may be irrelevant.
      Last I knew of, there hadn't been an agreed upon vowel system.
      What makes the choice difficult is that we're working under
      several constraints. We're stuck with the Latin alphabet, which
      is woefully inadequate for a phonetic language. We could
      add diacritics, but many newsreaders wouldn't be able to
      handle them. Even if you have software that can handle them
      it can become a pain to remember all the alt+xxxx keystrokes.
      We could use dipthongs, but there's the risk of confusion
      about whether it's two separate vowels or not. So ultimately
      there's no great solution to the problem.

      So I propose a system where each vowel has two sounds and the
      rule for determining the sound is regular. I've also been
      forced to use some dipthongs because some of the common sounds
      just wouldn't fit into the aforementioned system.

      For single vowels each letter can represent a long or short
      vowel. All vowels are short unless followed by a single consonant
      or are at the end of a word.

      a (long) fAther
      a (short) mAn
      e (long) bEAr
      e (short) nEt
      i (long) sEE
      i (short) hIt
      o (long) sOle
      o (short) nOt
      u (long) mOOn
      u (short) German Und

      The three dipthongs are

      au cOW
      ue German UEber
      oe German schOEn

      Hopefully this choice will be easy to learn and broad enough
      for a variety of sounds.

      Etherman
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2000
        --- In folkspraak@egroups.com, "Ray Cote" <etherman23@h...> wrote:

        > For single vowels each letter can represent a long or short
        > vowel. All vowels are short unless followed by a single consonant
        > or are at the end of a word.

        Oops, meant to say double, not single.

        Etherman