Fw: [ê]

  • Jonathan North Washington
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2000
      I have a question about a particular sound in German. I've only heard this
      sound from two people: my German teacher in German and French and my French
      teacher only in French (both of which are native German speakers I believe).
      I represent the sound as [ê] in PACAD (formerly known as devpron). The
      symbol just happened to be one of the few remaining ones, and it suits the
      sound too. To the English ear, this sounds like either "ee" or "ey". I
      believe that it's made somewhere between the sounds in the diphthong /ei/
      (not really /eI/). Here are some examples:
      passé [pa'sê]
      leben [lêb(ì)n] which is very hard to distinguish from leben unless Frau
      Nassar (my German teacher) says them both together. Otherwise, you don't
      know which she said.

      I very unproffessionally call the sound "E Umlaut". Is this sound recorded
      anywhere by anyone. It's not /i/ or /e/ but is near both. I was looking at
      the IPA vowel chart and noticed the /-u-/ which I assume is just ü (PACAD
      [û]) because of the high center aspect of it; but, right next to it is
      /-i-/, which I've never heard pronounced (at least in context to the
      character). Does anyone know what sound this is? Is it similar to [ê]?

      I'm sending this to langmaker2, langmakercafé (café *and* Kaffee seem to be
      /,ca'fê/!), and folkspraak.

      ===
      Yitskhaq shel Tsafon ben Pol uD'vora
      http://jnw.freeservers.com/