Re: Middelsprake

    Message 1 of 114 , Aug 31, 2004
      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Aron Boström <aron@l...> wrote:
      > tisdagen den 31 augusti 2004 12:21 skrev wakuran_wakaran:
      > > Btw, the word "sava"/"sejva" is almost only used in connection
      with
      > > saving data onto electronical devices and such...
      > > (Many modern anglicisms, I see...)
      > > In other senses, it would sound rather ridiculous...
      >
      > Many modern anglicisms, yes, but a lot of old word too. Mejeri-
      (dairy-),
      > speja, spejande and spejare (to spy, spying, a spy), mejram
      (marjoram) and
      > mejsel - mejsla (a chisel - to chisel out) are treated the same.

      OK...

      > > Btw, Jam-master A, how are the words "hand-taja" and "braja"
      > > pronounced? ;J
      > > It seems that in most cases,
      > > the swedish ei/j-sound is turned into an ai-diphtong (except for
      > > sejdel)... Is it that simple?
      >
      > Guess it could be that simple, yes. Dunno why "sejdel" doesn't
      follow this
      > rule, though.
      >
      > > Also, I would pronounce Bahrain similar to "baxrai/jn", myself...
      > >
      > > I had never heard the word "naja" before, and must consider it a
      rare
      > > word...
      >
      > It's an elder word, but in scouts/spejdercorps connection it is
      very
      > frequently used. Also electricians use it, I believe. It's a
      special way to
      > to make things stick together with a rope, cord, wire or thread
      (frap and
      > lash according to my dictionary). It's the phase where you
      strenghtens and
      > stretch the string/wire/..., either by frapping?/lashing? (not sure
      how to
      > use those words, never heard them before I checked my dictionary)
      to existing
      > frapping?/lashing? or by twisting to end of the [steel] wire.
      >
      > Actually I remember there is a /ei/ difftong in scanian. It exist
      were swedish
      > cognates uses /e:/.
      >
      > So the examples of ON /ei/ -> SW /e:/ in scanian actually is
      ON /ei/ ->
      > SCY /ei/, don't know why, though.
      >
      > Ingeborg S. Nordén wrote:
      > > ON heill -> Sw hel /he:l/
      > > ON steinn -> Sw sten /ste:n/
      > > ON eiga --> Sw äga /'E:ga/
      > ON heill -> Sw hel /he:l/ -> Sc /heil/ (whole)
      > ON steinn -> Sw sten /ste:n/ -> Sc /stein/ (stone)
      > ON eiga --> Sw äga /'E:ga/ -> Sc /eiga/ (own)
      >
      > other words were sw has /e:/ is words like
      > sw - scanian - eng
      > stege - steige - ladder
      > redig - reidi - "complete"?
      > leka - leiga/leige - play
      > neka - neika - deny
      > teka - teika - face off
      > be - bei - pray
      > steka - steiga - fry
      >

      > I wonder about a word en. limestone/lime, sw. "kalk/kalksten",
      scanian
      > "lim/limstein". Are there cognates in other germanic languages? And
      what
      > sohuld be the FS word?

      Uhmm, "Lim" seems to be a common germanic root... =S
      \Lime\, n. [AS. l[=i]m; akin to D. lijm, G. leim, OHG. l[=i]m, Icel. l
      [=i]m, Sw. lim, Dan. liim, L. limus mud, linere to smear, and E.
      loam. [root]126. Cf. Loam, Liniment.] 1. Birdlime.

      "Kalk" probably derives from greek...

      Mostly means "glue" in modern core langs, I think...

      > Also i wonder about the word "bös" in scanian (upset, irritated,
      angry in
      > english). I belive there is a german word "bös" with the same
      meaning, can
      > someone confirm this? Are there cognates in other germanic langs?
      >
      > Aron

      "Bös" seems to be a borrowing from some German dialect, according to
      SAOB... [fsv. bös,.som d. bös af mnt. bs l. t. böse]

      Check out the link page for information on etymology, word origins,
      etc...
      Very interesting...
    • Ingmar Roerdinkholder
      Message 114 of 114 , Sep 21 9:06 AM
        To be honest I used just a few (paper) dictionaries and my own knowledge to create Middelsprake.
        I have a Dutch-Scandinavian dictionary, with Dutch - Danish - Swedish - Norwegian and New Norwegian, with a lot of sentences and a grammatical sketch of each language.

        BTW in Middelsprake the infinitive form is the same as the present. So:

        ga = to go
        ig ga = I go
        ig schal ga = I shall go

        geve = to give
        ig geve = I give
        ig mot geve = I must give

        se = to see
        ig se = I see
        ig kan se = I can see

        true = to trust
        ig true = I trust
        ig wil true = I want to trust

        etc etc

        Of course with the exception of Wese (to be) and Have (to have)

        Ingmar