Re: poll overview

    Message 1 of 7 , May 19, 2004
      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "don_skov" <c_h_skov@e...> wrote:

      > > I recently did a public reading of The Lord's Prayer in my own
      FS
      > > dialect for a creative writing group. It was well-received. Even
      if
      > > you don't know German, Dutch or a Scandinavian language, you
      can't
      > > help sounding 'Germanic' when you read a Folkspraak text aloud.
      Try
      > > reading (even mumbling) aloud the versions of Red Riding Hood,
      > > Emperor's New Clothes, Tower of Babel, Lord's Prayer, etc that
      are
      > > already posted. You may get a feel for what dialect seems most
      > > natural, and you could use that Folkspraaker's version as a
      basis
      > > for your own work. Or you can do what I do, and use what you
      like
      > > best from each version that you come across.
      >
      > I think you ought to check out me folkspraak korpus where I have
      > gathered allmost every folkspraak text ever written, that is a
      good
      > source also check out the different grammars available to this
      group.

      > Christian

      Where can one find the corpus?
      Which texts have you choosen?
      Only longer texts, or small comments in "local dialects" as well?...
    • don_skov
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004

        > Where can one find the corpus?
        > Which texts have you choosen?
        > Only longer texts, or small comments in "local dialects" as well?...

        Well sorry it took me such a long time to answer, I have been cheking
        my internet for some while.
        But to answer your question.

        I don't know whether you get your folkspraak messages over your email
        account or you check out the group homepage.

        When you get an email, there is a link at the bottom that will direct
        you to the group home page. allright that was step one.

        step two. in the left corner of your screen you will see a menu.

        In that menu just press "files"

        A new screen will then appear, you'll see the folders.

        "historyen" "parallel texts" "babelteksten" "temporary grammars"
        and "vordenbuken"

        If you want to see the "folkspraak korpus" just press historyen and
        there you'll find it.

        now your second question.

        I Took every single folkspraak text i could find from a ceratin
        period. I may have scipped some, since i would have to look throgh
        more than a thousands messages to find every piece of folkspraak. But
        i looked in the messages that would seem to have a folkspraak text
        and then I did some random picking in order to find be sure. I think
        i got most of them. At least I got all the big ones. I was working, a
        year ago, I think, on a new corpus that covered the period between
        the birth of this group to where my 1st corpus started. But
        unfortunatly, i lost my work :(

        I don't remember which period i covers, but it i a quite large one,
        so have a go, also check out the grammars, and the dictionaries
        (vordenbuk) i made one with more than 3000 words, so have a go.

        Christian