Re: poll overview

  • don_skov
    Message 1 of 7 , May 18 2:19 AM
      > I recently did a public reading of The Lord's Prayer in my own FS
      > dialect for a creative writing group. It was well-received. Even if
      > you don't know German, Dutch or a Scandinavian language, you can't
      > help sounding 'Germanic' when you read a Folkspraak text aloud. Try
      > reading (even mumbling) aloud the versions of Red Riding Hood,
      > Emperor's New Clothes, Tower of Babel, Lord's Prayer, etc that are
      > already posted. You may get a feel for what dialect seems most
      > natural, and you could use that Folkspraaker's version as a basis
      > for your own work. Or you can do what I do, and use what you like
      > best from each version that you come across.

      I think you ought to check out me folkspraak korpus where I have
      gathered allmost every folkspraak text ever written, that is a good
      source also check out the different grammars available to this group.

      Christian
      Message 2 of 7 , May 19 3:12 AM
        --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "don_skov" <c_h_skov@e...> wrote:

        > > I recently did a public reading of The Lord's Prayer in my own
        FS
        > > dialect for a creative writing group. It was well-received. Even
        if
        > > you don't know German, Dutch or a Scandinavian language, you
        can't
        > > help sounding 'Germanic' when you read a Folkspraak text aloud.
        Try
        > > reading (even mumbling) aloud the versions of Red Riding Hood,
        > > Emperor's New Clothes, Tower of Babel, Lord's Prayer, etc that
        are
        > > already posted. You may get a feel for what dialect seems most
        > > natural, and you could use that Folkspraaker's version as a
        basis
        > > for your own work. Or you can do what I do, and use what you
        like
        > > best from each version that you come across.
        >
        > I think you ought to check out me folkspraak korpus where I have
        > gathered allmost every folkspraak text ever written, that is a
        good
        > source also check out the different grammars available to this
        group.

        > Christian

        Where can one find the corpus?
        Which texts have you choosen?
        Only longer texts, or small comments in "local dialects" as well?...
      • don_skov
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004

          > Where can one find the corpus?
          > Which texts have you choosen?
          > Only longer texts, or small comments in "local dialects" as well?...

          Well sorry it took me such a long time to answer, I have been cheking
          my internet for some while.
          But to answer your question.

          I don't know whether you get your folkspraak messages over your email
          account or you check out the group homepage.

          When you get an email, there is a link at the bottom that will direct
          you to the group home page. allright that was step one.

          step two. in the left corner of your screen you will see a menu.

          In that menu just press "files"

          A new screen will then appear, you'll see the folders.

          "historyen" "parallel texts" "babelteksten" "temporary grammars"
          and "vordenbuken"

          If you want to see the "folkspraak korpus" just press historyen and
          there you'll find it.

          now your second question.

          I Took every single folkspraak text i could find from a ceratin
          period. I may have scipped some, since i would have to look throgh
          more than a thousands messages to find every piece of folkspraak. But
          i looked in the messages that would seem to have a folkspraak text
          and then I did some random picking in order to find be sure. I think
          i got most of them. At least I got all the big ones. I was working, a
          year ago, I think, on a new corpus that covered the period between
          the birth of this group to where my 1st corpus started. But
          unfortunatly, i lost my work :(

          I don't remember which period i covers, but it i a quite large one,
          so have a go, also check out the grammars, and the dictionaries
          (vordenbuk) i made one with more than 3000 words, so have a go.

          Christian