Re: More about the Heraldry page..

  • tungol65
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 16, 2004
      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "wakuran_wakaran" <hakans@w...>
      wrote:
      > 1. akso - I don't think the "so" is necessary, since in
      scandinavian
      > languages, it is basically used to separate it from "och"
      > meaning "and". Which isn't necessary since that is a differnet word
      > in fs... Maybe it could just be "ok" or something..

      Yes I prefer dropping the -so, I only used it because that form had
      been widely used by other in previous postings. I would go with "ek"
      and use "ak" or "ok" for "oak(tree)". Although not found by itself in
      English it occurs in "nickname" which is a corruption of "an ickname"
      (i.e. "an additional name", where the "n" transferred from the
      article

      > tokenen.. Think it would be better with "tekenen"...

      I can live with that.

      > 2. hódig stad - why "heady city"? why not just hód-stad?..

      Ah right, "hódig" was meant to mean "present day" where "hód"
      meant "to-day" from Ger."heute", Dut."heden", Fri."hjoed". I think
      these are all derived from Latin "hodie". Its probably a weak choice,
      any suggestions?

      > mens - danish "while"??.. I don't think it is good to use purely
      > scandinavian words without reason..
      >
      > 3. florerend - I guess this is OK, but maybe one could use a more g
      > word like "blúmend" or something,

      My German/Dutch dictionaries gave the "flor-" form, obviously from
      Latin, but yeah I'm ok with "blúmend"

      > 4. En skild av grón derop en klimand steiermarkisk vit panter med
      > ród klaun ond hornen, spúend fyr ond en gold hertogskrón op sin
      hovd.
      > Hmmm, add "bar"/"ba"r" or something between "fyr" and "ond"..

      Maybe I can change the word order it should mean "with red claws and
      horns, spewing fire and a gold ducal-crown on his head" perhaps "med
      ród klaun ond hornen, en gold hertogskrón op sin hovd ond spúend fyr"

      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 19, 2004
        --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Martin Gelter <gelter@v...> wrote:
        > At 19:22 18.03.2004 +0000, wakuran_wakaran wrote:
        > > > I agree, but "Gau" and "gea" are not archaic. I think if 2 or 3
        > > > Germanic languages out of the 8 or 9 being considered have a
        > >similar
        > > > word where the others have no cognate, we should consider it.
        > > >

        > >According to LEO dictionary, the word is [hist.], historical, and
        it
        > >doesn't seem to be applicable to district/region in the modern
        sense
        > >of the word... http://dict.leo.org
        >
        > Actually, the word is understandable, but unusual and today
        heavily
        > associated with the Third Reich, which was divided into "Gaue".
        > However , the word is sometimes part of the name of a region, such
        as
        > Thurgau or Chiemgau. The Austrian state of Salzburg consists of
        Flachgau,
        > Tennengau, Pongau, Pinzgau and Lungau (hope I didn't forget one),
        which are
        > not administrative, but geographical terms. AFAIR, originally a
        Gau was the
        > territory given to a count under Charlemagne.

        I'd guess that, I read something about it, but I wouldn't wanna
        explicitly "mention the war" without it being necessary... @@

        > >Some of the more german-sounding words are
        > >der Bezirk, das Gebiet, der Stadtteil, die Gegend, der Bereich,
        die Stelle
        > >etc...
        > >Don't know exactly how these words are used...
        >
        > To me, Bezirk is exclusively an administrative district.
        >
        > Gebiet is usually an area or zone affected by something (as in
        > Kriegsgebiet, Überschwemmungsgebiet, Quellschutzgebiet,
        Rodungsgebiet,
        > Sperrgebiet, Herrschaftsgebiet).
        > However, I have to admit that a google search reveals quite a
        number of
        > different usages, such as "Rhein-Main-Gebiet", for which I would
        rather use
        > "Region".
        >
        > Stadtteil is a part of the city, without clear boundaries (other
        than Bezirk).

        > Gegend is a relatively small area or region, probably containing
        only the
        > surrounding villages or towns, or, within a city, a couple of
        streets.
        > In contrast, a "Region" would normally refer to a largely area,
        possibly
        > with 50 or 100 km in diameter.
        >
        > Bereich would be rather unusual for a geographical area or
        administrative unit.

        > Stelle means place, as in "An dieser Stelle stand einst eine
        römische Therme."

        > Martin

        Sta"lle means place in swedish as well...
        And in swedish " Instead of " is " ista"llet fo"r "
        Oh well, thank you for your help!