Re: Some Folkspraak Web Pages (Some more words I don't understand)

    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 14, 2004
      > "beplading" is "settlement/colony". Dut. "bepaling"
      Dan. "boplads".
      > Its a mix of the two, but on second thoughts something else may be
      > better?

      Uhmm, "Kolonii" is latin, but could be found in most languages, I
      think..
      or perhaps something based on english settle/german siedeln dutch
      setelen(?) "seteling" (?) or something...

      "vestiging" means something like "fastening", I think...
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 19, 2004
        --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Martin Gelter <gelter@v...> wrote:
        > At 19:22 18.03.2004 +0000, wakuran_wakaran wrote:
        > > > I agree, but "Gau" and "gea" are not archaic. I think if 2 or 3
        > > > Germanic languages out of the 8 or 9 being considered have a
        > >similar
        > > > word where the others have no cognate, we should consider it.
        > > >

        > >According to LEO dictionary, the word is [hist.], historical, and
        it
        > >doesn't seem to be applicable to district/region in the modern
        sense
        > >of the word... http://dict.leo.org
        >
        > Actually, the word is understandable, but unusual and today
        heavily
        > associated with the Third Reich, which was divided into "Gaue".
        > However , the word is sometimes part of the name of a region, such
        as
        > Thurgau or Chiemgau. The Austrian state of Salzburg consists of
        Flachgau,
        > Tennengau, Pongau, Pinzgau and Lungau (hope I didn't forget one),
        which are
        > not administrative, but geographical terms. AFAIR, originally a
        Gau was the
        > territory given to a count under Charlemagne.

        I'd guess that, I read something about it, but I wouldn't wanna
        explicitly "mention the war" without it being necessary... @@

        > >Some of the more german-sounding words are
        > >der Bezirk, das Gebiet, der Stadtteil, die Gegend, der Bereich,
        die Stelle
        > >etc...
        > >Don't know exactly how these words are used...
        >
        > To me, Bezirk is exclusively an administrative district.
        >
        > Gebiet is usually an area or zone affected by something (as in
        > Kriegsgebiet, Überschwemmungsgebiet, Quellschutzgebiet,
        Rodungsgebiet,
        > Sperrgebiet, Herrschaftsgebiet).
        > However, I have to admit that a google search reveals quite a
        number of
        > different usages, such as "Rhein-Main-Gebiet", for which I would
        rather use
        > "Region".
        >
        > Stadtteil is a part of the city, without clear boundaries (other
        than Bezirk).

        > Gegend is a relatively small area or region, probably containing
        only the
        > surrounding villages or towns, or, within a city, a couple of
        streets.
        > In contrast, a "Region" would normally refer to a largely area,
        possibly
        > with 50 or 100 km in diameter.
        >
        > Bereich would be rather unusual for a geographical area or
        administrative unit.

        > Stelle means place, as in "An dieser Stelle stand einst eine
        römische Therme."

        > Martin

        Sta"lle means place in swedish as well...
        And in swedish " Instead of " is " ista"llet fo"r "
        Oh well, thank you for your help!