Some Folkspraak Web Pages

  • tungol65
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 10, 2004
      Hello All,

      Things seem a little quiet around here!. It's been a while since I
      posted anything, but over the last few days I've got back into my
      Folkspraak and other language interests. I though it might be a good
      idea to combine my interest in Folkspraak and heraldry. So I've
      created a few pages on heraldry, written in Folkspraak. Hopefully it
      may encourage other to create some pages of their own about any
      hobbies or interests, they may want to share. The idea is to enable
      us to regularly read and understand Folkspraak, rather than it being
      a bit sterile as I think it could become. The pages are at

      Note I use an accent to mark long vowels in my version or Folkspraak.
      I welcome comment good or bad.

      Regards Robert
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 19, 2004
        --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Martin Gelter <gelter@v...> wrote:
        > At 19:22 18.03.2004 +0000, wakuran_wakaran wrote:
        > > > I agree, but "Gau" and "gea" are not archaic. I think if 2 or 3
        > > > Germanic languages out of the 8 or 9 being considered have a
        > >similar
        > > > word where the others have no cognate, we should consider it.
        > > >

        > >According to LEO dictionary, the word is [hist.], historical, and
        > >doesn't seem to be applicable to district/region in the modern
        > >of the word... http://dict.leo.org
        > Actually, the word is understandable, but unusual and today
        > associated with the Third Reich, which was divided into "Gaue".
        > However , the word is sometimes part of the name of a region, such
        > Thurgau or Chiemgau. The Austrian state of Salzburg consists of
        > Tennengau, Pongau, Pinzgau and Lungau (hope I didn't forget one),
        which are
        > not administrative, but geographical terms. AFAIR, originally a
        Gau was the
        > territory given to a count under Charlemagne.

        I'd guess that, I read something about it, but I wouldn't wanna
        explicitly "mention the war" without it being necessary... @@

        > >Some of the more german-sounding words are
        > >der Bezirk, das Gebiet, der Stadtteil, die Gegend, der Bereich,
        die Stelle
        > >etc...
        > >Don't know exactly how these words are used...
        > To me, Bezirk is exclusively an administrative district.
        > Gebiet is usually an area or zone affected by something (as in
        > Kriegsgebiet, Überschwemmungsgebiet, Quellschutzgebiet,
        > Sperrgebiet, Herrschaftsgebiet).
        > However, I have to admit that a google search reveals quite a
        number of
        > different usages, such as "Rhein-Main-Gebiet", for which I would
        rather use
        > "Region".
        > Stadtteil is a part of the city, without clear boundaries (other
        than Bezirk).
        > Gegend is a relatively small area or region, probably containing
        only the
        > surrounding villages or towns, or, within a city, a couple of
        > In contrast, a "Region" would normally refer to a largely area,
        > with 50 or 100 km in diameter.
        > Bereich would be rather unusual for a geographical area or
        administrative unit.
        > Stelle means place, as in "An dieser Stelle stand einst eine
        römische Therme."
        > Martin

        Sta"lle means place in swedish as well...
        And in swedish " Instead of " is " ista"llet fo"r "
        Oh well, thank you for your help!