Re: SV: SV: [folkspraak] Hungarian Runes

    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 26, 2004
      So that's what you mean with bulgarian runes?
      Hungarian runes probably doesn't have much to do with Wulfilas
      gothic alphabet..
      http://www.omniglot.com/writing/gothic.htm

      " Origin
      Gothic was originally written with a Runic alphabet about which
      little is known. One theory of the origins of Runes is that they
      were invented by the Goths, but this is impossible to prove as very
      few inscriptions of writing in Gothic runes survive.

      The Gothic alphabet was invented around middle the 4th century AD by
      Bishop Wulfila (311-383 AD), the religious leader of the Visigoths,
      to provide his people with a written language and a means of reading
      his translation of the Bible. It is based on the Greek alphabet,
      with some extra letters from the Latin and Runic alphabets. "

      The alphabet includes some numeral signs, that have unclear origin.
      Most of the letters themselves could be clearly traced,
      a few look like greco-latin letters with different phonetic value.

      Since the gothic alphabet is clearly (mostly) based on greek
      writing, the germanic runes most plausibly originally derived from
      greco-latin writing, and the hungarian runes have unclear origin, it
      is not very likely that the gothic alphabet has something to do with
      hungarian runes.

      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "Knutson" <asm.knut@c...> wrote:
      > I just mean that Pietroassa is in Bulgaria, and I thus referred to
      the
      > runes on the ring as Bulgarian. I should like to learn more about
      the
      > Hungarian runes. Do they have anything to do with the Wulfia
      Bible? I
      > have read that Wulfia created his alphabet from the runes.

    • seb_olof
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 19, 2004
        At this site there are three fonts in the extended 16-letter one:
        http://www.runristare.se/vikingtips/runfonter/runfonter.html

        a bit down to the right of the page you'll find:

        Hämta "Runsten" här >>>
        Hämta "Runbrev" här >>>
        Hämta "Runhake" här >>>

        /seb_olof
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 19, 2004
          --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "seb_olof" <maizecrop@h...> wrote:
          > At this site there are three fonts in the extended 16-letter one:
          > http://www.runristare.se/vikingtips/runfonter/runfonter.html
          >
          > a bit down to the right of the page you'll find:
          >
          > Hämta "Runsten" här >>>
          > Hämta "Runbrev" här >>>
          > Hämta "Runhake" här >>>
          >
          > /seb_olof

          Hello, Seb! I saw the fonts.
          Since the runes now have been implemented in Unicode,
          I guess this system now is a little outdated for web usage,
          but they look good. Good for personal writing...
          There are some other runic fonts that could be d/l:ed, too,
          such as "Gullskoen"

          http://www.unicode.org/charts/collation/chart_Runic.html
          http://www.unicode.org/versions/bookmarks.html

          Hopefully the Unicode could be better implemented for web browsers
          in the future, and there would be more choice of runic fonts to
          download and such...