RE: Familar and Not

  • Dan Dawes
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 1999
      In the grammar all the pronouns are familiar when in lower case and all of
      them are formal when capitalized. Whereas German has the formal/familiar
      forms only for the pronoun "you", Folkspraak has it for all the persons and
      cases.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 1999
        Though it adds more complexity to the language, which is something I thought
        we were trying to avoid. I like the idea. It could be done quite simply too
        I think. Maybe it could be done exactly like in German with the Sie, with
        the s capitalized like so. Just a thought.

        Mike
      • Dan Dawes
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 1999
          In the proposed grammar all familiar pronouns are formalized by
          capitalization following the German model.

          Though it adds more complexity to the language, which is something I thought
          we were trying to avoid. I like the idea. It could be done quite simply
          too
          I think. Maybe it could be done exactly like in German with the Sie, with
          the s capitalized like so. Just a thought.

          Mike

          http://www.onelist.com
          Are you? If not, see our homepage for details.

          Folkspraak Discussion List, http://www.langmaker.com/folksprk.htm
        • Ray Cote
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 13, 1999
            >Though it adds more complexity to the language, which is something I
            >thought
            >we were trying to avoid. I like the idea. It could be done quite simply
            >too
            >I think. Maybe it could be done exactly like in German with the Sie, with
            >the s capitalized like so. Just a thought.

            I think that runs the risk of being confusing. We can
            retain the familiar and formal, though.

            Etherman

            etherman23@...