Phonetic Alphabet for Folkspraak

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 7, 2003
      Hello, I had an idea that we should create a phonetic alphabet for
      Folkspraak,
      because of the difficulties to understand the pronunciation,
      (from the different spelling standards the germanic languages has
      adopted), and because Folkspraak words mainly seem created from
      their different spellings, without notice taken of their
      pronunciation... (I like to write long sentences... =P)

      Here are cognates, meaning basically the same thing and pronounced
      (to my knowledge) similar or very similar...
      English:Mouse - German:Maus
      English:House - German:Haus
      English:Wine - German:Wein
      English:Island - German:Eiland - Dutch:Eiland
      (the S in the english word is a phony attempt to make it look like
      latin "isla")
      English:Father - German:Vater - Dutch:Vader

      The idea is that the phonetic alphabet should consist completely of
      the capital and miniscule letters of the roman alphabet(and maybe
      include tha capitals and miniscules of the german alphabet)....
      It should seperate between different "morphemes", but not
      necessarily between different "phonemes"...
      That is, it should consist of all the sounds in the germanic
      languages that carry different meanings, such as "u" for the common
      u-sound, and U for the different sound in swedish and norwegian...
      English diphtongs: AI, OU etc...
      If there are several combinations written with the same letter
      combination, numerals could be added after the letters to
      distinguish between them. (Example:NG -(general ng-sound), NG2-
      (french "n"-sound) ) Long vowel ":" short vowel "]" Glottal stop "'"

      Hmmm, this is a quite rough draft...
      Maybe it would be a difficult feat to accomplish, especially because
      of all the different vowel/diphtong sounds...

      To conclude, words like
      English:Island - German:Eiland - Dutch:Eiland should probably be
      written something like "Ajland", that most exactly captures the
      pronunciation of the word...
      Other words (often words borrowed from english, french or latin)
      such as Hockey, Jockey and Party are generally best recognized by
      their english spelling and should probably keep it in Folkspraak...

      Hmmm, what do you think?...
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 7, 2003
        (Still very, very rough draft, sorry)

        --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "wakuran_wakaran" <hakans@w...>
        wrote:

        > Hello, I had an idea that we should create a phonetic alphabet for
        > Folkspraak,
        > because of the difficulties to understand the pronunciation,
        > (from the different spelling standards the germanic languages has
        > adopted), and because Folkspraak words mainly seem created from
        > their different spellings, without notice taken of their
        > pronunciation... (I like to write long sentences... =P)
        >
        > Here are cognates, meaning basically the same thing and pronounced
        > (to my knowledge) similar or very similar...
        > English:Mouse - German:Maus
        > English:House - German:Haus
        > English:Wine - German:Wein
        > English:Island - German:Eiland - Dutch:Eiland
        > (the S in the english word is a phony attempt to make it look like
        > latin "isla")
        > English:Father - German:Vater - Dutch:Vader
        >
        > The idea is that the phonetic alphabet should consist completely
        of
        > the capital and miniscule letters of the roman alphabet(and maybe
        > include tha capitals and miniscules of the german alphabet)....
        > It should seperate between different "morphemes", but not
        > necessarily between different "phonemes"...
        > That is, it should consist of all the sounds in the germanic
        > languages that carry different meanings, such as "u" for the
        common
        > u-sound, and U for the different sound in swedish and norwegian...
        > English diphtongs: AI, OU etc...
        > If there are several combinations written with the same letter
        > combination, numerals could be added after the letters to
        > distinguish between them. (Example:NG -(general ng-sound), NG2-
        > (french "n"-sound) ) Long vowel ":" short vowel "]" Glottal
        stop "'"

        > Hmmm, this is a quite rough draft...
        > Maybe it would be a difficult feat to accomplish, especially
        because
        > of all the different vowel/diphtong sounds...
        >
        > To conclude, words like
        > English:Island - German:Eiland - Dutch:Eiland should probably be
        > written something like "Ajland", that most exactly captures the
        > pronunciation of the word...
        > Other words (often words borrowed from english, french or latin)
        > such as Hockey, Jockey and Party are generally best recognized by
        > their english spelling and should probably keep it in Folkspraak...
        >
        > Hmmm, what do you think?...
      • Xipirho
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 8, 2003
          Mik tenk dihs er an vehr gohd idea. Mik tenk dat folksprahk skribende
          [must] er loggikahl (nelihk di tisk tungen er skrihbd nu). If vi vil
          sprahk ohver fonnetihken oler fonnemihken vi kan uhts (kan du tenk ov
          an better vord?) di SAMPA alfabeta
          (http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/home.htm) - et er vehr gohd for
          et er bassikalik di Internasjonal Fonetihk Alfabeta. Mihn skribende for
          folksprahk go lihk dihs:

          Al vokalihken er lang [except] if dej er in an slutted [syllable] -
          bassikalihk lihk in nederlandisk, men reggulahr. Vokalihken in slutted
          [syllables] er mahkt lang mit an 'h' (lihk in dojtsk). [Unusual stress]
          er markt mit an 'h' after an strest lang vokalihk oler mit tvo
          konsonanten after an kort vokalihk. In di [past] mik sahgd 'al
          vokalihken er kort if nikt markt mit an 'h' after dej', men dat mahk
          som vorden an littel lang. ...et ver veniger kompleks dok.

          So, [anyway], di fonnetihk transkripsjonen ov mihn alfabeta/skribende
          kom nu (/ / mehn fonemmihk, ond [ ] mehn fonettihk):

          KORT VOKALIKEN

          /a/=[a]/[A]
          /e/=[e]/[E]
          /i/=[I]/[i]
          /u/=[U]/[Y]/[u] (di ihslanderen, som skandinavisken ond di
          nederlanderen nekan sahg [U])
          /o/=[O]/[Q]

          LANG VOKALIKEN

          /a:/=[a:]/[A:]
          /e:/=[e:]/[E:]
          /i:/=[i:]/[I:]
          /u:/=[u:]/[y:]
          /o:/=[o:]/[O:]

          KONSONANTEN

          Al di konsonanten er als in SAMPA!

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 8, 2003
            "Must" /"musten" iss allreed(allready) en guud woord,
            Lijk folk hav allred tijdiger(?)(earlier) saget, "bruuken" iss en
            better woord dann "uits"
            Ander woorder kann "bruuken", "benutten" oller "anwenden" issen...

            Oh, Sampa... Dat forkomm(seem) een littel swaar tu la"a"ren, maaber
            et forkomm guud dat man niit "hav nood for"(need) spesiell fonetisk
            tekener(signs/characters)..

            Ik skall laater (later) an dijn version na"a"rer (nearer, more
            closely) sehen...

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 8, 2003
              On Monday, Dec 8, 2003, at 18:47 Europe/London, wakuran_wakaran wrote:

              > "Must" /"musten" iss allreed(allready) en guud woord,
              > Lijk folk hav allred tijdiger(?)(earlier) saget, "bruuken" iss en
              > better woord dann "uits"
              > Ander woorder kann "bruuken", "benutten" oller "anwenden" issen...

              ja. danken.

              > Oh, Sampa... Dat forkomm(seem) een littel swaar tu la"a"ren, maaber
              > et forkomm guud dat man niit "hav nood for"(need) spesiell fonetisk
              > tekener(signs/characters)..

              mik neforstan dihs.

              > Ik skall laater (later) an dijn version na"a"rer (nearer, more
              > closely) sehen...

              muk danken.
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 8, 2003

                > > Oh, Sampa... Dat forkomm(seem) een littel swaar tu la"a"ren,
                maaber
                > > et forkomm guud dat man niit "hav nood for"(need) spesiell
                fonetisk
                > > tekener(signs/characters)..
                >
                > mik neforstan dihs.

                .

                That seems a little hard(leicht=light/easy swaar=heavy/difficul) to
                learn, but it seems good that you don't need any special phonetic
                characters....
              • Xipirho
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003

                  > > > Oh, Sampa... Dat forkomm(seem) een littel swaar tu la"a"ren,
                  > maaber
                  > > > et forkomm guud dat man niit "hav nood for"(need) spesiell
                  > fonetisk
                  > > > tekener(signs/characters)..
                  > >
                  > > mik neforstan dihs.
                  >
                  > .
                  >
                  > That seems a little hard(leicht=light/easy swaar=heavy/difficul) to
                  > learn, but it seems good that you don't need any special phonetic
                  > characters....

                  Ak. Du kulde saag et ar svaar, maaner et ar veer regulaar. Mik tenk dat al di tisk folken skulde [be able to] [type] et, so dat ar verfor mik nehav spesjel simbolen. Vat tenk ov an ander sistem - al vookalen ar kort [except] on di enden ov vorden ond [before] ander vookaliken. 'e' ar an [exception] - et ar kort 'e' oller sva (schwa - like in german 'stille') on di enden ov vorden. maakan kort vookaliken lang du skriib tvo vookaliken. Diis sistem ar veer leekt, maaner et ar viird (weird) havan vorden liik 'manen' mit an kort vookalik.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003

                    > Ak. Du kulde saag et ar svaar, maaner et ar veer regulaar. Mik tenk
                    dat al di tisk folken skulde [be able to] [type] et, so dat ar verfor
                    mik nehav spesjel simbolen. Vat tenk ov an ander sistem - al vookalen
                    ar kort [except] on di enden ov vorden ond [before] ander
                    vookaliken. 'e' ar an [exception] - et ar kort 'e' oller sva (schwa -
                    like in german 'stille') on di enden ov vorden. maakan kort
                    vookaliken lang du skriib tvo vookaliken. Diis sistem ar veer leekt,
                    maaner et ar viird (weird) havan vorden liik 'manen' mit an kort
                    vookalik.

                    "Whoops..."
                    Ik forstaa diis niit perfekt...
                    Ik bruuk umlavd,
                    datfor mann kann meer unlijk vokal-lavder(sounds) haven...

                    (Maaner-but?)
                    "Be able to" - watfor niit "kannen"??
                    Mogskee "haven mo"glighejt"-"have the possibility"
                    "Type"-Mogskee "C(K?)ompuuter-skriiben"...
                    Before skulde issen "befoor", ik tenk...
                    Swedisk - innan/fo"re. Dojtsk-bevor Hollandsk-voor..
                    (Manen - men, pluralis?)
                    "Weird", mogskee(ik fortsett(continue) dat woord bruuken)
                    een woord lijk egendomlig oller wunderlig...
                    (Folksprakk iss niit dat riik (rich) in synonymer...
                    Mann must de sentenser (rather?) simpel maaken...)
                    Hmmm, Ik forstaa niit dijn idee perfekt...
                    Huu(How) meen du dat man skulde se de unlijkhejt twen
                    (for eksempel) "Saak"(Thing) und "Sack"(Sack/Bag)..??

                    Hmmmm, "except", "exception".... swaar....
                    P.S. du wunderte um(about) "opinion" tijdiger(earlier),
                    ik tenk "meening" iss en guud/fiin oversetting(translation)...
                  • Xipirho
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 12, 2003
                      On Tuesday, Dec 9, 2003, at 23:38 Europe/London, wakuran_wakaran wrote:

                      >> Ak. Du kulde saag et ar svaar, maaner et ar veer regulaar. Mik tenk
                      > dat al di tisk folken skulde [be able to] [type] et, so dat ar verfor
                      > mik nehav spesjel simbolen. Vat tenk ov an ander sistem - al vookalen
                      > ar kort [except] on di enden ov vorden ond [before] ander
                      > vookaliken. 'e' ar an [exception] - et ar kort 'e' oller sva (schwa -
                      > like in german 'stille') on di enden ov vorden. maakan kort
                      > vookaliken lang du skriib tvo vookaliken. Diis sistem ar veer leekt,
                      > maaner et ar viird (weird) havan vorden liik 'manen' mit an kort
                      > vookalik.
                      >>

                      > "Whoops..."
                      > Ik forstaa diis niit perfekt...
                      > Ik bruuk umlavd,
                      > datfor mann kann meer unlijk vokal-lavder(sounds) haven...

                      rekt. mik nehaav umlauten verfor dej aar svaar for folken dat nehav dej
                      in dejr tung.

                      > (Maaner-but?)

                      ja.

                      > "Be able to" - watfor niit "kannen"??

                      ak. stupid mik! 'kan' vulde aar fiin.

                      > Mogskee "haven mo"glighejt"-"have the possibility"
                      > "Type"-Mogskee "C(K?)ompuuter-skriiben"...

                      veer lang vord! mogskee simpelik taak di vord fron inglisk men skriib
                      et 'tajp' oller anting?

                      > Before skulde issen "befoor", ik tenk...
                      > Swedisk - innan/fo"re. Dojtsk-bevor Hollandsk-voor..

                      rekt. so 'for' skulde aar 'foor' ondso den if al dej tungen hav an lang
                      vokal in dat plats.

                      > (Manen - men, pluralis?)

                      ja.

                      > "Weird", mogskee(ik fortsett(continue) dat woord bruuken)
                      > een woord lijk egendomlig oller wunderlig...
                      > (Folksprakk iss niit dat riik (rich) in synonymer...
                      > Mann must de sentenser (rather?) simpel maaken...)

                      rekt. mik nekan tenk ov an vord foor 'rather'.

                      > Hmmm, Ik forstaa niit dijn idee perfekt...
                      > Huu(How) meen du dat man skulde se de unlijkhejt twen
                      > (for eksempel) "Saak"(Thing) und "Sack"(Sack/Bag)..??

                      'saak' ond 'saaken'(sake), ond 'sak' ond 'saken' (sack): dat vaar vat
                      mik meend ond et aar veer regulaar ond simpel, men mogskee 'saak' ond
                      'saken', ond 'sak' ond 'sacken'/'sakken' vulde aar better (liik et aar
                      in inglisk ond nederlandisk ond [to some extent] dojtsk)? ...oller
                      mogskee [even] di skandinavisk sistem: 'sak', 'saken' ond 'sack'/'sakk'
                      ond 'sacken'/'sakken'. vat tenk du?

                      > Hmmmm, "except", "exception".... swaar....
                      > P.S. du wunderte um(about) "opinion" tijdiger(earlier),
                      > ik tenk "meening" iss en guud/fiin oversetting(translation)...

                      ja. guud idea.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 13, 2003

                        > > Mogskee "haven mo"glighejt"-"have the possibility"
                        > > "Type"-Mogskee "C(K?)ompuuter-skriiben"...
                        >
                        > veer lang vord! mogskee simpelik taak di vord fron inglisk men
                        skriib
                        > et 'tajp' oller anting?

                        Hmmm... mogskee et iss better bruuken de skriibing "tyypen" und
                        ender (change) de uutspraaking (pronunciation)...

                        > > Before skulde issen "befoor", ik tenk...
                        > > Swedisk - innan/fo"re. Dojtsk-bevor Hollandsk-voor..
                        >
                        > rekt. so 'for' skulde aar 'foor' ondso den if al dej tungen hav an
                        lang
                        > vokal in dat plats.

                        Ja, ik tenk dat mogskee et iss en guud idee,
                        Bruuken "foor" for "fore"
                        (lijk in "foretell", kunde mogskeeissen "foortellen"..)
                        und "for" for "for", to separaten twen dem...
                        (444, 444 =P)

                        > > "Weird", mogskee(ik fortsett(continue) dat woord bruuken)
                        > > een woord lijk egendomlig oller wunderlig...
                        > > (Folksprakk iss niit dat riik (rich) in synonymer...
                        > > Mann must de sentenser (rather?) simpel maaken...)
                        >
                        > rekt. mik nekan tenk ov an vord foor 'rather'.

                        Swaar...

                        > > Hmmm, Ik forstaa niit dijn idee perfekt...
                        > > Huu(How) meen du dat man skulde se de unlijkhejt twen
                        > > (for eksempel) "Saak"(Thing) und "Sack"(Sack/Bag)..??
                        >
                        > 'saak' ond 'saaken'(sake), ond 'sak' ond 'saken' (sack): dat vaar
                        vat
                        > mik meend ond et aar veer regulaar ond simpel, men mogskee 'saak'
                        ond
                        > 'saken', ond 'sak' ond 'sacken'/'sakken' vulde aar better (liik et
                        aar
                        > in inglisk ond nederlandisk ond [to some extent] dojtsk)? ...oller
                        > mogskee [even] di skandinavisk sistem: 'sak', 'saken'
                        ond 'sack'/'sakk'
                        > ond 'sacken'/'sakken'. vat tenk du?

                        Ob man maak de skandinavisk system better und meer konsekvent
                        (consistent), et kunde mogskee issen en guud idee...
                        Nu de skandinavisk system iss niit perfekt fonetisk...
                        Ob de system ist hovdsaaklig(mainly) konsekvent und fonetisk,
                        (except for) loonede(borrowed) englisk/fransk woorden, denn ik tenk
                        et skulde guud issen...
                      • Xipirho
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 14, 2003
                          On Saturday, Dec 13, 2003, at 23:28 Europe/London, wakuran_wakaran
                          wrote:

                          >>> Mogskee "haven mo"glighejt"-"have the possibility"
                          >>> "Type"-Mogskee "C(K?)ompuuter-skriiben"...
                          >>
                          >> veer lang vord! mogskee simpelik taak di vord fron inglisk men
                          > skriib
                          >> et 'tajp' oller anting?
                          >
                          > Hmmm... mogskee et iss better bruuken de skriibing "tyypen" und
                          > ender (change) de uutspraaking (pronunciation)...

                          ja. oller mogskeh 'tipan'/'tipen'?

                          >>> Before skulde issen "befoor", ik tenk...
                          >>> Swedisk - innan/fo"re. Dojtsk-bevor Hollandsk-voor..
                          >>
                          >> rekt. so 'for' skulde aar 'foor' ondso den if al dej tungen hav an
                          > lang
                          >> vokal in dat plats.
                          >
                          > Ja, ik tenk dat mogskee et iss en guud idee,
                          > Bruuken "foor" for "fore"
                          > (lijk in "foretell", kunde mogskeeissen "foortellen"..)
                          > und "for" for "for", to separaten twen dem...
                          > (444, 444 =P)

                          gud idea.

                          >> 'saak' ond 'saaken'(sake), ond 'sak' ond 'saken' (sack): dat vaar
                          > vat
                          >> mik meend ond et aar veer regulaar ond simpel, men mogskee 'saak'
                          > ond
                          >> 'saken', ond 'sak' ond 'sacken'/'sakken' vulde aar better (liik et
                          > aar
                          >> in inglisk ond nederlandisk ond [to some extent] dojtsk)? ...oller
                          >> mogskee [even] di skandinavisk sistem: 'sak', 'saken'
                          > ond 'sack'/'sakk'
                          >> ond 'sacken'/'sakken'. vat tenk du?
                          >
                          > Ob man maak de skandinavisk system better und meer konsekvent
                          > (consistent), et kunde mogskee issen en guud idee...
                          > Nu de skandinavisk system iss niit perfekt fonetisk...
                          > Ob de system ist hovdsaaklig(mainly) konsekvent und fonetisk,
                          > (except for) loonede(borrowed) englisk/fransk woorden, denn ik tenk
                          > et skulde guud issen...

                          so du denk du skandinavisk sistem denn, ne di anderen?
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 14, 2003
                            --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Xipirho <xipirho@r...> wrote:

                            > >> veer lang vord! mogskee simpelik taak di vord fron inglisk men
                            > > skriib
                            > >> et 'tajp' oller anting?
                            > >
                            > > Hmmm... mogskee et iss better bruuken de skriibing "tyypen" und
                            > > ender (change) de uutspraaking (pronunciation)...
                            >
                            > ja. oller mogskeh 'tipan'/'tipen'?

                            Hmmm, mogskee tiipen (?)...
                            In swedisk, man sag
                            "skriva på(on) dator(computer-from "data")"
                            oller "maskinskriva/skriva maskin"...
                            Et iss (rather) lang...

                            > >> rekt. so 'for' skulde aar 'foor' ondso den if al dej tungen hav
                            an
                            > > lang
                            > >> vokal in dat plats.
                            > >
                            > > Ja, ik tenk dat mogskee et iss en guud idee,
                            > > Bruuken "foor" for "fore"
                            > > (lijk in "foretell", kunde mogskeeissen "foortellen"..)
                            > > und "for" for "for", to separaten twen dem...
                            > > (444, 444 =P)
                            >
                            > gud idea.

                            Subtiil..

                            > > Ob man maak de skandinavisk system better und meer konsekvent
                            > > (consistent), et kunde mogskee issen en guud idee...
                            > > Nu de skandinavisk system iss niit perfekt fonetisk...
                            > > Ob de system ist hovdsaaklig(mainly) konsekvent und fonetisk,
                            > > (except for) loonede(borrowed) englisk/fransk woorden, denn ik
                            tenk
                            > > et skulde guud issen...
                            >
                            > so du denk du skandinavisk sistem denn, ne di anderen?

                            Nee, ik weet niit... Ik tenk de hollandsk system iss (rather) guud...
                            De skandinavisk system nuu iss niit so guud, nuu,
                            maaber man kunde maaken et better...