Invitation to Kalim

  • nathanielamentstone
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2003
      Kalim is meant to be an extremely simplified language without a
      Eurocentric perspective, but rather a world perspective.

      Its vocabulary comes mainly from the most widely spoken languages in
      the world: Mandarin Chinese, English, Hindi-Urdu, Spanish, Russian,
      Arabic, Malay-Indonesian and Japanese. Note that I left out Bengali,
      Portuguese, French and German because a) Bengali is too close to
      Hindi, b) Portuguese and French are too close to Spanish, and c)
      German is too close to English.

      What little exists of Kalim for now is basically a grammar heavily
      influenced by Chinese (though aiming to be even simpler):

      SVO word order

      Isolating structure

      No articles, case, gender

      Verb tense/aspect marking and noun plural marking not obligatory

      But unlike Chinese, no classifiers

      The phonology should also be minimal: I came up with the 10 most
      easily pronounced sounds for the world (a i k l m n p s t u), but
      this can be addressed as a group. Preferably no consonant clusters.

      Please give input. These are just beginning ideas. The goal of this
      group is to perfect this language and make it as simple as possible
      to everyone, with a minimum amount of words, etc. Are you interested?

      Nathaniel