Re: jo. wat ar op?

  • wordwulf
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Xipirho <xipirho@r...> wrote:

      > On Thursday, Aug 28, 2003, at 13:32 Europe/London, don_skov wrote:
      >
      > > --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Xipirho <xipirho@r...> wrote:
      > >> so, wat ar goende duhn in di folksprahk grupe nu? som neu tingen?
      > > mi ar
      > >> komd hejm nu fron mihn ferie.
      > >
      > > Ja muj ar her skeht, de list slap dog nu, der ar nigt muj, wu
      skriv.

      > Sori. Mi ne forstan dat!
      >
      > Sorry. I don't understand that!
      >
      > > Men if du check de files section out, seh du muj new filen.
      >
      > vat mehn "muj"?
      >
      > what does "muj" mean?
      >
      > > Daan
      > > Goedkoop hav en gud grammatik makt, ik hav en new gud grammatik
      makt,
      > > ik hav en vordenbuk med 2700 vorden makt, tungol ?
      >
      > vat mehn "tungol"?
      >
      > what does "tungol" mean?

      'Tungol' ar de ald Englisk vord for stern. 'Tungolcraeft' ,to
      bispel, vare 'astronomi' or 'sternvetenskap'.

      'Tungol' is the Old English word for star. 'Tungolcraeft', for
      example, would be 'astronomy'.

      It give mange god posten over de sommer! Ik havde gen rekenmasjin
      over de sommer, so ik postede net, mar je have makt god forstrid.

      There are many good posts over the Summer! I didn't have a computer
      over the Summer, so I didn't post, but you guys have made good
      progress.

      Erik
    • wordwulf
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
        --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "don_skov" <c_h_skov@e...> wrote:

        > > Du KUND find anig <reason> havan tvo vordz for dat?!

        How about 'sak' or 'orsak' for <reason> That's what Scandinavian
        languages us, and is equivalent to English 'sake'.

        > > You COULD find any reason for having two words for that?!
        >
        > Hmm. Ik kannde nigt finden en grund tu haven tve vorden for dat
        >
        > Hmm i couldn't find any reason to have two words for that.
        >
        > > > The word is derived from
        > > > english much
        > > > danish meget
        > > > and jutish møj
        > > > and then of course mycka or something which is norwegian or/and
        > > > swedish.
        > >
        > > volde nikt "muck" (eler "muk") ar beter beóhrsahk et ar mehr lihk
        > > englisk, ond englisk ar de grotest av al dets tungz?
        > >
        > > wouldnt "muck" (or "muk") be better because it is more like
        > english,
        > > and english is the largest of those tongues?
        >
        > I thought about muk, it was my first choice. I have actually
        decided
        > but muk sounds very heavy if you get me. but muk would make just as
        > much sence. I just looked in the vocabulary. Muj is mycket in
        > swedish, and mye in norwegian, mikid(soft d) in icelandic.
        > that is we have to with a hard k. and two where there is no g. (
        the
        > g in danish is pronounced like j in folkspraak) englsih is
        somewhere
        > in between. In the end it all comes down to your choice, unless we
        > looked it up in protogermanic dictionary to find the root.

        How about 'myg' or 'myk'?

        > > varfor <chose> du "nigt" den? varfor nikt "nikt" eler "nit"?

        How about 'vale' for <choose> German 'Waehlen'.

        > > why did you chose "nigt" then? why not "nikt" or "nit"?
        >

        > Hmm. actually it is vit, i just looked it up in my dictionary.
        > I have done a lot of experiments with words lige nagt (night), and
        > ligt, (light)and nigt - not. i have decided that all the german ch
        > things should be converted into g, which is the most common thing i
        > all the languages, where german have a ch sound, others have a g,
        you
        > could use a k. it wouldn't mean much i temrs of pronounciation, but
        > it looks more familiar to most people wit a "g". In my old
        folkspraak
        > i wrote it niht, which is pronounced like nit. And furthermore, i
        > have decided that if g is at the end of a word ending in -ig it
        > should be prounced like j. compare danish mig, englsih me, dutch
        mij
        > to german mich.
        >

        > But that's just what i think anyway

        I didn't like it before, but the -g- form is growing on me for the
        German -ch-, English -gh- thing.
        Erik
      • David Barrow
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
          --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Xipirho <xipirho@r...> wrote:
          > so, wat ar goende duhn in di folksprahk grupe nu? som neu tingen?
          mi ar
          > komd hejm nu fron mihn ferie.

          Hi all

          'What's up' is an English idiom, should it be translated literally?

          will folkspraak borrow idioms from contributing languages as is, or
          create its own.

          How, for example, does it denote existence? There + be like English
          es gibt as in German, a form similar to that in some other Germanic
          Language

          David Barrow
        • don_skov
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 4, 2003

            > 'What's up' is an English idiom, should it be translated literally?
            >
            > will folkspraak borrow idioms from contributing languages as is, or
            > create its own.

            I think not, people would get into a lot of trouble if they were to
            understand danish/jutish idioms in folkspraak. A form like wat op is
            of course an english inspired form that most people know, and like
            alle other languages folkspraak will of course be influenced by
            english. It the same thing in danish, we have traqnslated the
            idiom "what's up" by "Hvad så" = "what then" but it is considered
            slang, and is especially connected to hip-hop, or skter types, its
            definitly not used in phd.'s I think the same thin goes for
            folkspraak.

            > How, for example, does it denote existence? There + be like English
            > es gibt as in German, a form similar to that in some other Germanic
            > Language

            The most used form in folkspraak is "der ar"

            Christian
          • Xipirho
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
              On Thursday, Sep 4, 2003, at 01:55 Europe/London, wordwulf wrote:

              >>> Daan
              >>> Goedkoop hav en gud grammatik makt, ik hav en new gud grammatik
              > makt,
              >>> ik hav en vordenbuk med 2700 vorden makt, tungol ?
              >>
              >> vat mehn "tungol"?
              >>
              >> what does "tungol" mean?
              >
              > 'Tungol' ar de ald Englisk vord for stern. 'Tungolcraeft' ,to
              > bispel, vare 'astronomi' or 'sternvetenskap'.
              >
              > 'Tungol' is the Old English word for star. 'Tungolcraeft', for
              > example, would be 'astronomy'.

              a, OK, so verfor bruhkd han "tungol" in dat <sentence>? ax, ond verfor
              hav englisk "star" ne "tungol" nu?
            • Xipirho
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
                On Thursday, Sep 4, 2003, at 02:07 Europe/London, wordwulf wrote:

                >>> Du KUND find anig <reason> havan tvo vordz for dat?!
                >
                > How about 'sak' or 'orsak' for <reason> That's what Scandinavian
                > languages us, and is equivalent to English 'sake'.

                gohd <idea> (kan du tenk av an voird for dat?!). ax, vat mehn di "or"
                in "orsak"? mi <suppose> (ond an vord for dat? :-) ) dat in mihn
                skrihbing et volt er "sahk"...

                >> in between. In the end it all comes down to your choice, unless we
                >> looked it up in protogermanic dictionary to find the root.
                >
                > How about 'myg' or 'myk'?

                ja. "myk"/"myg" volt er gohd. <however> ne-tenk du "u" <might> er
                beter, for englisk hav an "u" ond et er di grohtest av di tungen?

                yea. "myk"/"myg" would be good. however don't you think "u" might be
                better, for english has a "u" and it is the largest of the tungs?

                >>> varfor <chose> du "nigt" den? varfor nikt "nikt" eler "nit"?
                >
                > How about 'vale' for <choose> German 'Waehlen'.

                er et di mehr <widespread> av vorden for "choose"?
              • tungol65
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
                  --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Xipirho <xipirho@r...> wrote:

                  > > makt,
                  > >>
                  > >> vat mehn "tungol"?
                  > >>
                  > >> what does "tungol" mean?
                  > >
                  > > 'Tungol' ar de ald Englisk vord for stern. 'Tungolcraeft' ,to
                  > > bispel, vare 'astronomi' or 'sternvetenskap'.
                  > >
                  > > 'Tungol' is the Old English word for star. 'Tungolcraeft', for
                  > > example, would be 'astronomy'.
                  >
                  > a, OK, so verfor bruhkd han "tungol" in dat <sentence>? ax, ond
                  verfor
                  > hav englisk "star" ne "tungol" nu?

                  Hi All,

                  I'm flattered to see my name has caused some activity. "tungol"
                  according to my OE dictionaries can mean either star, constellation
                  or planet. I just liked the sound of the word and it reflected my
                  other interest in astronomy.

                  Regards Robert
                • Xipirho
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
                    On Thursday, Sep 4, 2003, at 07:13 Europe/London, David Barrow wrote:

                    > --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Xipirho <xipirho@r...> wrote:
                    >> so, wat ar goende duhn in di folksprahk grupe nu? som neu tingen?
                    > mi ar
                    >> komd hejm nu fron mihn ferie.
                    >
                    > Hi all
                    >
                    > 'What's up' is an English idiom, should it be translated literally?
                    >
                    > will folkspraak borrow idioms from contributing languages as is, or
                    > create its own.
                    >
                    > How, for example, does it denote existence? There + be like English
                    > es gibt as in German, a form similar to that in some other Germanic
                    > Language
                    >
                    > David Barrow

                    heheh! et ver realik an <intentionally humorous phrase> - di <humour>
                    ver dat et ver literalik <translated>. dues koment ver senslik <though>
                    ond mi ne-viht vat vi skuld do op dihz <issue>.

                    heheh! it was really an intentionally humourous phrase - the humour was
                    that it was literally translated. your comment was sensible though and
                    i don't know what we should do on this issue.
                  • Xipirho
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
                      On Thursday, Sep 4, 2003, at 09:29 Europe/London, don_skov wrote:

                      >> 'What's up' is an English idiom, should it be translated literally?
                      >>
                      >> will folkspraak borrow idioms from contributing languages as is, or
                      >> create its own.
                      >
                      > I think not, people would get into a lot of trouble if they were to
                      > understand danish/jutish idioms in folkspraak. A form like wat op is
                      > of course an english inspired form that most people know, and like
                      > alle other languages folkspraak will of course be influenced by
                      > english. It the same thing in danish, we have traqnslated the
                      > idiom "what's up" by "Hvad så" = "what then" but it is considered
                      > slang, and is especially connected to hip-hop, or skter types, its
                      > definitly not used in phd.'s I think the same thin goes for
                      > folkspraak.

                      et ondso er slang in englisk, ond et er amerikaisk realik. du
                      <probably> viht dis!

                      it's also slang in english, and its american really. you probably know
                      this!
                    • wordwulf
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 8, 2003
                        > > 'Tungol' ar de ald Englisk vord for stern. 'Tungolcraeft' ,to
                        > > bispel, vare 'astronomi' or 'sternvetenskap'.
                        > >
                        > > 'Tungol' is the Old English word for star. 'Tungolcraeft', for
                        > > example, would be 'astronomy'.
                        >
                        > a, OK, so verfor bruhkd han "tungol" in dat <sentence>? ax, ond
                        verfor
                        > hav englisk "star" ne "tungol" nu?

                        Englisk havde manig vorden in de forntid dat ar ne brukt nu. Fron
                        tid to tid, havde Aldenglisk mer als en vord for de sam ting. To
                        bispel, havde Aldenglisk manig vorden for 'war' oder 'slaughter'-
                        beado, wig, heatho-, wael, ond so vider. After de Norman
                        overmakting, nemde Englisk in mer als 10.000 vorden fron Fransosisk,
                        ond Englisk forlosde okso manig vorden, to bispel, 'tungol'. De
                        ander vord, 'steorra' verdede de alldaglig vord for 'star'.

                        English had many words in the olden days that are not used now. From
                        time to time, Old English had more than one word for the same thing.
                        For example, Old English had more than one word for 'war'
                        or 'slaughter' - beado, wig, heatho-, wael, and so forth. After the
                        Norman conquest (I had to construct a word for conquest, since I
                        don't know it in the other Germanic languages -"overpowering"),
                        English took in more than 10,000 words from French, and English also
                        lost many words, for example, 'tungol'. The other word, 'steorra'
                        became the everyday word for 'star'.