let's make a babel text poll

  • bonesplitter@email.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 12, 2003
      I was over at langmaker's website, as I saw that even though our language has existed aince 1990 it doesn't even have a babel text, I know that some of you out there have written babel texts, and I got this idea, that all who wants to write a babeltext submit one within the next two weeks in a newfolder in our yahoo groups homepage that i will make. after these two weeks we the a referendum about which text should represent folkspraak at langmaker.com.

      what do you think about this idea
      http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

      http://corp.mail.com/careers
    • Xipirho
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 12, 2003
        what's babel text?

      • bonesplitter@email.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 12, 2003
          A babel text is a part of the bible (genesis 11,1-9) about how God confused the language of the world, so that people couldn’t understand each other.

          At the page www.langmaker.com which you might know, as the gathering place for all the scattered tounges of the world ( The homepage that binds all the different conlangs such as folkspraak, Esperanto, quenya etc together) at that page the bable text is used as a text sample, so that everyone who wants to know something about for instance “ido” or dutch can find the babel text of that language there.

          If you haven’t checked out langmaker you really ought to, the folkspraak language info box is, however terribly out of date. One of the things we don’t have is a babel text, and that’s what I think we ought to make.

          On thing we however need to decide is from which language we should translate our babel text from. It’s a difficult question as everyone doesn’t understand the same languages, the most correct thing would be to translate from german as at least the Danish and the Norwegian and also the dutch, and Swedish is translatd from that language, but perhaps the only possibility is to translate from English (but then again which English version) of course we could just translate from the language we want, possibly mix some of the versions

          Here is mine it is translated from the Danish version of the old testament from 1931 the second most recent translation of the old testament in Danish. I have written another one which I submitted alongside my “ De neu Grammatik von Folkspraak” which is based on a English translation, which was translated directly from Hebrew.
          So is it a good idea.

          here is my version anyways

          Christian

          De hel menskhet havde en tunge ond samme sprak

          Wen de vanderde mot ost, findede de en dal in Sinear ond dar late de sig vonen

          Dan sagde de to enander “Kom lat ons makken tegelstenen ond brennen dem godlik.” Ond brukde tegelen anstat stenen ond erd als kalk

          Darefter sagde de “Kom lat ons bugen en stad ind en torn, dat rekke to de himmel, ond makke ons en name, sodat vi nigt skall spredes over de hel erd

          Men DER HERRE kommde ned to sehen de stad ond de torn, dat de sonen von mensken bugde.

          Ond hi sagde: “ Seh, de er en folk ond hav en sprak, ond wen de ditveg hav beginnt, er ken, dat de vill makken, unmuglik for dem.

          Lat ons darfor stigen ned, ond dar forvirren dems tunge, sodat de nit enander’s sprak kann forstehen

          Dan spredede DER HERRE dem ut dat stedd over de hel erd, ond stoppde to bugen de stad

          Darfor namde man det Babel, fordi dar forvirrde DER HERRE de folksprak, ond ut dar spredede dem over de hel erd

          http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

          http://corp.mail.com/careers
        • Xipirho
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 12, 2003
            Ah! Ok, I'll ahve a go at translating the same thing into what I am
            thinking folkspraak should be roughly like, but i think your version is
            good tho.

          • Daan Goedkoop
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 12, 2003
              Op zaterdag 12 juli 2003 21:00, schreef Xipirho:
              > Ah! Ok, I'll ahve a go at translating the same thing into what I am
              > thinking folkspraak should be roughly like, but i think your version is
              > good tho.

              That's quite time-consuming, that creating of words, to look them up in all
              languages... actually, maybe I should make a list of english or Dutch words I
              need, buy some language pocket guides and translate all words
              language-by-language... those guides are supposed to be correct, in each case
              more so than a freeware website, though the disadvantage is that they are
              only otherlanguage->dutch. Well, maybe I should go sit down in the library,
              grab some real dictionaries and get started... what I have so far, a few
              minutes ago quickly made up:

              1. De hele menskhed havet de selbe spraak.

              2. Wänn der tu de ost wanderet, findet der en dal in Sinear änd der ganget der
              wonen.

              Daan.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 12, 2003
                From: Daan Goedkoop <dgoedkoop@...>
                Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:02:28 +0200
                To: folkspraak@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [folkspraak] let's make a babel text poll

                > Op zaterdag 12 juli 2003 21:00, schreef Xipirho:
                > > Ah! Ok, I'll ahve a go at translating the same thing into what I am
                > > thinking folkspraak should be roughly like, but i think your version is
                > > good tho.
                >
                > That's quite time-consuming, that creating of words, to look them up in all
                > languages... actually, maybe I should make a list of english or Dutch words I
                > need, buy some language pocket guides and translate all words
                > language-by-language... those guides are supposed to be correct, in each case
                > more so than a freeware website, though the disadvantage is that they are
                > only otherlanguage->dutch. Well, maybe I should go sit down in the library,
                > grab some real dictionaries and get started... what I have so far, a few
                > minutes ago quickly made up:

                try this webpage, it has the bible in all kinds of languages, so you can get all kinds of versions, I used the english i could find at langmaker combined with the spanish, and the latin, the dutch, the german, the scandinavians version of this page.

                http://bible.gospelcom.net

                it is a great help

                by the way look what i found in the archives an old version of the babel text made by Bribri56 i just post it here I hope it is ok for him, just as an inspiration.
                It looks rather german as folkspraak did in those days, buty it is good

                All de Folk in de Werld habbed ein Sprak und ein Tung. Als dem wanded in de
                Ost, dem kommed tu en Flatland in Sinar und inscetled in dat Land. Dem saged
                tu einander, "Kommen! Uns vil maken Bakstens und baken dem hard." Dem habbed
                Bakstens for bujen und Ter for kleben. Dem saged, "Uns vil bujen ein Stad mit
                ein Torn, raecing de Himmel, den uns kon maken for uns ein Name und nict
                forstruen all uber de Erd.

                Den de Herr kommed herunder, for seen de Stad und de Torn dat de Mans habbed
                gebujed. Und Hi saged, "Ac! Dem er ein Folk, und dem spraken ein Sprak. Dat
                er de Anfang wat dem vil maken. Dem vil maken all tings dem willen! Uns vil
                gaen hinunder und wirren dem Sprak, und dem vil nict forstaen einander." De
                Herr forstrued dem all uber Erd, und dem halten de Stadgebujenprojekt.
                Babylon er de Nam von de Stad, wegen de Herr wirred de Folksprak, und
                forstrued dem all uber Erd.

                http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

                http://corp.mail.com/careers
              • Xipirho
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 13, 2003
                  You don't know of any more lists/sources apart from the one on the
                  files of all the germanic languages compared do you? thanks.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 13, 2003
                    Wow, that old version of FS is pretty easy to read compared with some
                    more modern ones (incl. mine probably)! Thanks for the site.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 13, 2003
                      Op zondag 13 juli 2003 19:46, schreef Xipirho:
                      > You don't know of any more lists/sources apart from the one on the
                      > files of all the germanic languages compared do you? thanks.

                      You mean those dictionaries on the Files section?
                    • Xipirho
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 13, 2003
                        yea - any apart from those ones.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 14, 2003
                          Op maandag 14 juli 2003 00:27, schreef Xipirho:
                          > yea - any apart from those ones.

                          I did a Google search on Swedish Dictionary Online, and found a dictionary or
                          two.

                          Daan.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 14, 2003
                            OK. Thanks. I spose if I can find dictionaries for all teh source langs
                            then I don't really need a comparison sheet.

                            On Monday, Jul 14, 2003, at 08:29 Europe/London, Daan Goedkoop wrote:

                            > Op maandag 14 juli 2003 00:27, schreef Xipirho:
                            >> yea - any apart from those ones.
                            >
                            > I did a Google search on Swedish Dictionary Online, and found a
                            > dictionary or
                            > two.
                            >
                            > Daan.

                          • Daan Goedkoop
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 14, 2003
                              Op maandag 14 juli 2003 14:12, schreef Xipirho:
                              > OK. Thanks. I spose if I can find dictionaries for all teh source langs
                              > then I don't really need a comparison sheet.

                              I've just brought a 30.000 word dictionary of Swedish, for E 7.95. In addition
                              with my ones on German and English, I suppose I can make a quite decent
                              vocabulary (the Scandinavian langs are more similar than
                              Dutch/English/German, and those online dictionaries still exist).

                              For you, an internet dictionary can be sufficient. However, when I need a
                              translation of a certain word, I often need to translate it to English and
                              then to Swedish/Danish/Norwegian, and this goes often wrong.

                              For example, I have the Dutch word "vorige". In English it is "last" or
                              "previous". The latter is nowhere in any internet dictionary, but "last" is.
                              But the translation? Is it from last-previous, last-ultimate or last-remain?
                              Especially if I can't recognise any word of the outcome...

                              But as English is your native language, I suppose you can find another
                              synonym, don't you? I can't, my knowledge of English is quite limited in that
                              sense.

                              Daan.
                            • Xipirho
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 14, 2003
                                On Monday, Jul 14, 2003, at 15:19 Europe/London, Daan Goedkoop wrote:

                                > Op maandag 14 juli 2003 14:12, schreef Xipirho:
                                >> OK. Thanks. I spose if I can find dictionaries for all teh source
                                >> langs
                                >> then I don't really need a comparison sheet.
                                >
                                > I've just brought a 30.000 word dictionary of Swedish, for E 7.95. In
                                > addition
                                > with my ones on German and English, I suppose I can make a quite decent
                                > vocabulary (the Scandinavian langs are more similar than
                                > Dutch/English/German, and those online dictionaries still exist).
                                >
                                > For you, an internet dictionary can be sufficient. However, when I
                                > need a
                                > translation of a certain word, I often need to translate it to English
                                > and
                                > then to Swedish/Danish/Norwegian, and this goes often wrong.
                                >
                                > For example, I have the Dutch word "vorige". In English it is "last" or
                                > "previous". The latter is nowhere in any internet dictionary, but
                                > "last" is.
                                > But the translation? Is it from last-previous, last-ultimate or
                                > last-remain?
                                > Especially if I can't recognise any word of the outcome...
                                >
                                > But as English is your native language, I suppose you can find another
                                > synonym, don't you? I can't, my knowledge of English is quite limited
                                > in that
                                > sense.

                                I spose it would help, but I can still see it being a problem.

                                > Daan.

                                > ---------------------~-->
                                > Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US &
                                > Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson,
                                > Lexmark & more.
                                > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
                                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/IYOolB/TM
                                > ~->

                                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • Brian
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 30, 2003
                                  --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, bonesplitter@e... wrote:

                                  > I was over at langmaker's website, as I saw that even though our
                                  language has existed aince 1990 it doesn't even have a babel text, I
                                  know that some of you out there have written babel texts, and I got
                                  this idea, that all who wants to write a babeltext submit one within
                                  the next two weeks in a newfolder in our yahoo groups homepage that
                                  i will make. after these two weeks we the a referendum about which
                                  text should represent folkspraak at langmaker.com.

                                  > what do you think about this idea

                                  Hier ar min erst Babel-Historie (2002)---

[...]

                                  Hier ar enander versie:

                                  All de Folk in de Werld habbed en Sprak ond en Tung. Als dei wended
                                  in de Ost, dei kommed tu en Flatland in Sinar und insetteled in dat
                                  Land. Dem saged tu enander, "Kom! Ons wille maken Bakstenen ond bake
                                  dem hard." Dem habbed Bakstenen for bujen ond Ter for kleben. Dem
                                  saged, "Ons wille buje en Stad mid en Torn, raeking de Himmel, den
                                  ons kan make for ons en Nam ond niht forstrude all over de Erd.

                                  Den de Herr kommed herunder, for seen de Stad ond dat Torn de Mans
                                  habbed gebujed. Ond Hi saged, "Ak! Dem ar en Folk, ond dem sprake en
                                  Sprak. Dis ar de Anfang wat dei wille maken. Dem wille maken all
                                  tings dem wille! Ons wille gae hinunder ond wirre deis Sprak, ond
                                  dei wille niht forstae enander." De Herr forstrued dem all over Erd,
                                  und dei halted de Stadbujenprojekt.

                                  Babylon ar de Nam von de Stad, wegen de Herr wirred de Folksprak,
                                  ond forstrued dem all over Erd.

                                  --- Brian
                                • bonesplitter@email.com
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
                                    Good could you post this in the babel texts folder under files, so that i will be preserved?

                                    Christians

                                    http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

                                    http://corp.mail.com/careers