conjugations

  • Mark Harold McGrath
    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 7, 2000
      On the webpage, the conditional is translated as "could+verb", but I always
      thought that it was would+verb! I'm confused. Help?

      Thanks,
      Mark
    • Hugo Cesar de Castro Carneiro
      Message 49 of 49 , Mar 7, 2007
        Hi Isaac,

        Like is written in Wikipedia:
        "Class 6 verbs in modern German: *fahren, graben, laden, schaffen, schlagen,
        tragen, waschen*; also *backen, fragen*, though these are usually weak
        nowadays; with j-present: *heben, schwören*. The past tense and participle
        of *stehen* (*stand*, older *stund*, *gestanden*), which derive from a lost
        verb **standen*, also belong to this class."

        Take a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_strong_verbs

        Hugo Cesar