Re: [folkspraak] German Essay full of Slang & Idioms, with English Translation

  • Thomas Uwe Gruettmueller
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 5:54 AM
      > The list currently doesn't support attachments.  When they add some<BR>
      > automatic virus checking of attachments (something they are working on),<BR>
      > then the list will support attachments.  In the meantime, you can upload it<BR>
      > to the files section of the site:  <a href="http://www.onelist.com/files/folkspraak">http://www.onelist.com/files/folkspraak</a><BR>

      What??? AFAIK, emails are just text. A virus need to be executable.
      So, the only virus I can think of is a HOAX.
    • Jeffrey Henning
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1 7:51 PM
        Thomas Uwe Gruettmueller <sloyment@...> skriben:

        > What??? AFAIK, emails are just text. A virus need to be executable.
        > So, the only virus I can think of is a HOAX.

        It's not the e-mail, its the attachments that can be .exes. Word and Excel
        documents can also contain viruses, thanks to the ability to embed Visual
        Basic for Application macros within them. There have been virus-like
        scripts in web pages, too, even though web pages are just text (the problems
        have been with JavaScript, VBScript, Java and ActiveX objects).

        Best regards,

        Jeffrey Henning
        http://www.LangMaker.com/ - Invent Your Own Language
        http://www.Jeffrey.Henning.com/
        "If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed.... Oh, wait, he
        does!"
      • Thomas Uwe Gruettmueller
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2 4:02 AM
          > > What??? AFAIK, emails are just text. A virus need to be executable.<BR>
          > > So, the only virus I can think of is a HOAX.<BR>
          > <BR>
          > It's not the e-mail, its the attachments that can be .exes.  Word and Excel<BR>
          > documents can also contain viruses, thanks to the ability to embed Visual<BR>
          > Basic for Application macros within them.  There have been virus-like<BR>
          > scripts in web pages, too, even though web pages are just text (the problems<BR>
          > have been with JavaScript, VBScript, Java and ActiveX objects).<BR>

          Simply, don't use Exes, Word, Excel, and turn off Non-HTML-Browser
          extensions. Then you should be safe.

          Bye
          Thomas