Kingdom of Fyksland

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 17, 2003
      http://www.vaijska.net/

      Joke or reality?

      Mike
    • Nathaniel Ament-Stone
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 17, 2003
        This looks like an elaborate joke...there is NO country called Fyksland.

        Nathaniel

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 18, 2003
          The language on the page is that somekind of Conlang or is it finnish ?
          http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
        • Xipirho
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 18, 2003
            wel its not finnish as it has the <ø> symbol in it, which finnish
            doesnt.

            On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 09:20 am, bonesplitter@... wrote:

            > The language on the page is that somekind of Conlang or is it finnish ?
            > --
            > http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

            > ---------------------~-->
            > Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/IYOolB/TM
            > ~->

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Daan Goedkoop
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 18, 2003
              Op vrijdag 18 april 2003 10:20, schreef bonesplitter@...:
              > The language on the page is that somekind of Conlang or is it finnish ?

              Conlang. Just look at "Vaijska", I have never seen IJ in Finnish, though it
              occurs quite often at the webpage.
            • Drew Danielson
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 18, 2003
                It's gotta be a Norse language - works like Alðig and a Viking 'history'
                isn't consistent with Finnish, though works like Gaamhä for "Gaeltic"
                Gámh do look a little more like Finnish than Scandanavian.

                Xipirho wrote:

                > wel its not finnish as it has the <ø> symbol in it, which finnish
                > doesnt.
                >

                > On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 09:20 am, bonesplitter@... wrote:
                >
                > > The language on the page is that somekind of Conlang or is it finnish ?
                > > --
                > > Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
                > > http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

                > > ---------------------~-->
                > > Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
                > > http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/IYOolB/TM
                > > ~->
                > >
                > > Browse the draft word lists!
                > > http://www.onelist.com/files/folkspraak/
                > > http://www.langmaker.com/folkspraak/volcab.html
                > >
                > > Browse Folkspraak-related links!
                > > http://www.onelist.com/links/folkspraak/
                > >

                > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                > >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1705043464:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>

                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                --
                DREW DANIELSON . <andrew.danielson@...> . http://pcdrew.ece.cmu.edu/
                Carnegie Mellon U . ECE Dept . 5000 Forbes Avenue . Pittsburgh, PA 15213
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 25, 2003
                  Hi all!

                  Just joined today after i've been invited to this group.

                  Wow, i am quite flattered that my web site and conlang is being
                  discussed here, even though my spam has not reached this group. :o)
                  no worries, i won't post my weekly spam here.

                  Fyksian is not linguistically related to other scandinavian languages
                  and finnish, even though it has heavy borrowing from them
                  (Scandinavian languages in particular). So far linguists have not
                  established any link between Fyksian and any other indo-european
                  languages (no kidding!). Think of it as the Japanese of Scandinavia.

                  The vocabulary maybe largely Germanic, but the grammar resembles
                  finnish with its archaic case system. Fyksian was developed
                  supposedly contain Nordic and Celtic influences all the while
                  maintaining traces of its mysterious root.

                  I have been investigating lately the relationships between spelling
                  and pronunciation in languages such as irish and danish. hopefully to
                  establish similar rule of pronunciation for Fyksian, if there should
                  be any at all.

                  Any questions feel free to email me or post.

                  Meanwhile... enjoy the site!

                  -Kvasir

                  --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Drew Danielson
                  <drew.danielson@c...> wrote:
                  > It's gotta be a Norse language - works like Alðig and a
                  Viking 'history'
                  > isn't consistent with Finnish, though works like Gaamhä
                  for "Gaeltic"
                  > Gámh do look a little more like Finnish than Scandanavian.
                  >
                  > Xipirho wrote:
                  >
                  > > wel its not finnish as it has the <ø> symbol in it, which finnish
                  > > doesnt.
                  > >

                  > > On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 09:20 am, bonesplitter@e... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > The language on the page is that somekind of Conlang or is it
                  finnish ?
                  > > > --
                  > > > Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
                  > > > http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

                  > > > ---------------------~-->
                  > > > Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
                  > > > http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/IYOolB/TM
                  ------
                  > > > ~->
                  > > >
                  > > > Browse the draft word lists!
                  > > > http://www.onelist.com/files/folkspraak/
                  > > > http://www.langmaker.com/folkspraak/volcab.html
                  > > >
                  > > > Browse Folkspraak-related links!
                  > > > http://www.onelist.com/links/folkspraak/
                  > > >

                  > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  > > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=17
                  05043464:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>

                  > > Browse the draft word lists!
                  > > http://www.onelist.com/files/folkspraak/
                  > > http://www.langmaker.com/folkspraak/volcab.html
                  > >
                  > > Browse Folkspraak-related links!
                  > > http://www.onelist.com/links/folkspraak/

                  Service
                  > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                  >

                  > --
                  > DREW DANIELSON . <andrew.danielson@c...> .
                  http://pcdrew.ece.cmu.edu/
                  > Carnegie Mellon U . ECE Dept . 5000 Forbes Avenue . Pittsburgh, PA
                  15213
                  > +1 412 268-2188 Voice . +1 412 268-
                  3890 Fax
                  > Admin for Ilic, Krogh, Gabriel, Fedder, Mukherjee & Rajkumar

                  ++
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 25, 2003
                    On Friday, April 25, 2003, at 09:10 am, James wrote:

                    > Hi all!
                    >
                    > Just joined today after i've been invited to this group.

                    velkome to di gruup!

                    > Wow, i am quite flattered that my web site and conlang is being
                    > discussed here, even though my spam has not reached this group. :o)
                    > no worries, i won't post my weekly spam here.

                    wiklik spam?

                    > Fyksian is not linguistically related to other scandinavian languages
                    > and finnish, even though it has heavy borrowing from them
                    > (Scandinavian languages in particular). So far linguists have not
                    > established any link between Fyksian and any other indo-european
                    > languages (no kidding!). Think of it as the Japanese of Scandinavia.
                    >
                    > The vocabulary maybe largely Germanic, but the grammar resembles
                    > finnish with its archaic case system. Fyksian was developed
                    > supposedly contain Nordic and Celtic influences all the while
                    > maintaining traces of its mysterious root.
                    >
                    > I have been investigating lately the relationships between spelling
                    > and pronunciation in languages such as irish and danish.

                    ejrelandsk ond dansk nejarr ver logiklik in speling wist du, so PERHAPS
                    dej nejarr god spraaken TO BASE fyksisk speling op!

                    irish and danish arnt verry lodjicul in spelling u no, so perhapps dhey
                    art guhd langwijis tu base fyksiun spelling on!

                    > hopefully to
                    > establish similar rule of pronunciation for Fyksian, if there should
                    > be any at all.
                    >
                    > Any questions feel free to email me or post.
                    >
                    > Meanwhile... enjoy the site!

                    OK. tanke.

                    ok. thanx.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 25, 2003
                      I have wondered about creating my own Scandinavian-esque conlang, called
                      Sverigan, borrowed from "Sverige", which is the Swedish word for Sweden. I
                      wrote a constitution of Sveriga and it is based on mostly the English,
                      Swedish and American systems, except there is no government and no taxes.

                      I wanted Sverigan to be sort of a mix of Swedish, Russian, Finnish and a
                      little bit of Italian, even. Where did you draw your sources for Fyksian?

                      Nathaniel

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 25, 2003
                        Hey, neet idea!

                        Hmmm a constitution without a government? hmmm well anarchism is a
                        form of government i suppose.

                        The Fyksian government has its model on its Scandinavian neighbours.
                        While having liberal views on the modern monarchy, Fyksland has a
                        constitution and the Parliament (the Alþig). Many of its domestic
                        foreign policies use examples from scandinavia, UK and even the
                        netherlands.

                        Linguistically, Fyksian supposedly has Nordic and Celtic influences.
                        Originally I wanted to create a phonetic language. But then it's not
                        very realistic since most real languages, especially celtic and
                        germanic, are not phonetic at all. Fyksian has a huge vocabulary
                        borrowing (orthographically) from norwegian, danish and dutch. So far
                        i have neglected any celtic influences. I am now trying to compensate
                        it in the aspect of pronunciation. Maybe i can borrow some celtic
                        ways of pronouncing words into Fyksian. Either i can create some
                        convoluted pronunciation rules for Fyksian, just like its
                        orthographic counterpart (so that overall it doesn't seem phonetic),
                        or I can just forget about any rules at all. hmmm.

                        I think most conlangs are phonetic languages, which makes sense,
                        easier for others to learn, but it's not very real at all. With
                        Fyksian, i'm trying to achieve some kind of realism. Which some of
                        you have almost thought it was for real. ;o)

                        -Kvasir

                        --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "Nathaniel Ament-Stone"

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 25, 2003
                          If you want to learn a bit about Celtic languages for Fyksian, I highly
                          recommend that you (at least on a temporary basis) take part in the conlang
                          "Celltiecc", which is a Pan-Celtic language I'm doing with some others. You
                          can join the Yahoo group. Just search for Celltiecc and you'll find it.
                          Maybe there you can learn a bit of Celtic stuff before you just look up
                          Celtic words. Our goal in Celltiecc is to create a simplified Celtic
                          languages that unites both the Brythonic (Breton, Cornish and Welsh belong
                          to this group) and Goidelic (Irish, Scottish Gaelic and Manx belong to this
                          group) families.

                          Nathaniel

                          P.S. My idea in Sveriga is a country where all decisions are made by a 5/6
                          majority of NORMAL PEOPLE who go to meetings instead of government
                          bureaucrats...

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 25, 2003
                            --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Xipirho <xipirho@r...> wrote:
                            > > no worries, i won't post my weekly spam here.
                            >
                            > wiklik spam?

                            Yes, every week (usually if time permits) i send out email
                            notifications to a number of newsgroups, boards and individuals to
                            notify them a new edition of Fyksian Headline News has been published
                            online.

                            Some regard them as spams, some have been loyal readers drawn by the
                            news' entertaining value. No idea how many people are actually
                            reading them, but i do get the odd fan mail from time to time.

                            The news do give readers an insightful view into the domestic and
                            foreign policies of Fyksland. Sometimes mocking the policies of other
                            political entities such as the US or the EU. The news is on its
                            second year of online publication.

                            Right now i have no plans to "spam" this group (unless someone wants
                            me to). So email me if you want to subscribe, i'll add you on the
                            mailing list.

                            -Kvasir
                          • Nathaniel Ament-Stone
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 25, 2003
                              It's not spam. Spam is what gothgurleatsloads always sends us. That porn
                              stuff...THAT is spam. And why does she target a Pan-Germanic language group?

                              > > > no worries, i won't post my weekly spam here.
                              > >
                              > > wiklik spam?
                              >
                              > Yes, every week (usually if time permits) i send out email
                              > notifications to a number of newsgroups, boards and individuals to
                              > notify them a new edition of Fyksian Headline News has been published
                              > online.
                              >
                              > Some regard them as spams, some have been loyal readers drawn by the
                              > news' entertaining value. No idea how many people are actually
                              > reading them, but i do get the odd fan mail from time to time.
                              >
                              > The news do give readers an insightful view into the domestic and
                              > foreign policies of Fyksland. Sometimes mocking the policies of other
                              > political entities such as the US or the EU. The news is on its
                              > second year of online publication.
                              >
                              > Right now i have no plans to "spam" this group (unless someone wants
                              > me to). So email me if you want to subscribe, i'll add you on the
                              > mailing list.
                              >
                              > -Kvasir

                            • Xipirho
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 25, 2003
                                On Friday, April 25, 2003, at 05:54 pm, Nathaniel Ament-Stone wrote:

                                > I have wondered about creating my own Scandinavian-esque conlang,
                                > called
                                > Sverigan, borrowed from "Sverige", which is the Swedish word for
                                > Sweden. I
                                > wrote a constitution of Sveriga and it is based on mostly the English,
                                > Swedish and American systems, except there is no government and no
                                > taxes.

                                no government and no taxes!? how does that 'system' work!?

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 25, 2003
                                  hm. yea, sure, subscribe me!

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 25, 2003
                                    "no government and no taxes!? how does that 'system' work!?"

                                    Actually, I only really did a first draft. I haven't thought threw the
                                    logistics yet, but I'm just tired of taxes. The idea is that civil needs
                                    like education and stuff get paid for by the money that comes out of
                                    philanthropic deeds, so that, for example, a portion of the money I pay you
                                    for mowing my lawn goes to my kid's education, or a portion of the money you
                                    pay me for watching your cat while you're away goes to keeping the streets
                                    clean, etc.

                                    There is no government, only people. So the way decisions are made is by
                                    public meetings and a 5/6 majority. If there's a national crisis, like a war
                                    coming, Sveriga will not take part in the war unless it is needed. If there
                                    is no escaping a war, the people who go to the public meetings will decide
                                    on what action to take next.

                                    Also, every job makes the same amount of money per year, so that a brain
                                    surgeon is payed the same as a leaf blower. While this may not sound
                                    welcoming at first, it gives everybody the chance of health care and an
                                    amazing pension....

                                    Remember, I'm still working on the structure, so if you guys have any
                                    suggestions please feel free. I would love to hear feedback. Also, anyone
                                    with suggestions about the language, POST 'EM!

                                    Nathaniel