Re: [folkspraak] Re: Pronunciation

  • Nathaniel Ament-Stone
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 17, 2003
      Excellent work....I suggest we use absolutely no umlauts, since, as you say,
      the plural "en" would be confused with an umlauted letter and them "n". We
      can't represent umlauts by "oe" or "ue" because, such as in "sho", the
      plural would be "shoen", which would look just like a transliteration of the
      German word for beautiful, schön...

      There is no perfect way to determine vowels..."dier" is a pretty easy
      marking, because there is a simple, letter by letter, analysis that applies.
      But in other words there is no easy way to "outvote" certain vowels, and
      "deyr" isn't very welcome to the eye. Here's my suggestion in cases like
      this: look at the Scandinavian, which is usually more international than
      English or German and forms a solid medium point. For example, in the word
      for "house" we have all three languages consenting on "h", but we have "o"
      in English and "a" in German as the first vowel. Scandinavian skips this, so
      Folksprak should rather than finding a medium point. The second vowel is "u"
      in all three languages, and "s" is the same in all. Finally, German and
      Swedish outvote English that there should be no silent vowel at the end. So
      in this case Folksprak and Swedish both have "hus", which is a perfectly
      pan-Germanic word. So my point is, Scandinavian words are often more
      pan-Germanic than English, German, Dutch or others for some reason.

      Keep going, your work is putting me to shame!!

      Nathaniel

      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 9, 2005
        --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "David Parke" <parked@x> wrote:

        > --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "wakuran_wakaran" <hakans@w...>
        wrote:

        > > --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "David Parke" <parked@x> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <stephenstaines@y...>

        > > > That's exactly what Tungol65 proposed. It's the 3rd option in the
        > > > poll.
        > > > It's also not that different from my second proposal, the second
        > > > option in the poll. My only difference, is although pronounced
        as /d/
        > > > I still mark the phoneme's origin in the orthography with a accented
        > > > "d". This is to aid word recognition for English and Scandinavian
        > > > speakers
        > > > You can see examples of the accented "d" here:
        > > >

        > > http://f5.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/

        AF4FQopCBFM4liJFGernOhlLrk9tA583oG54X2ruIuLBKV5502p9rk6_177FOV9jXV9TsvSe7k4
        > UXI9AQqGrSa1NtU9X/dje%20samples.gif
        > > >

        > > What does that "đrajen" word mean? "You force yourself to
        rotate??
        > > through the thick cod-guts" Although it is clearly a strange sentence,
        > > I have dificulties interpreting it. I think that the poor guy referred
        > > to here rotates, turns, twists and spins like a tornado through a pile
        > > of cod-guts?
        > >

        > "You force/compell yourself to turn thirstily through the thick/fat
        cod-guts. "

        > I'm not sure if drajen should me turn/swerve or turn/rotate/spin.
        >
        > It' just intended as a tongue twister with lots of djes in it. In
        all the 10s of 1000s of years
        > of history of human language its perhaps the first time anybody has
        ever needed to utter
        > such a sentence.

        Or as we Swedes put it: "kvistfritt kvastskaft"
        ( /kvistfrit kvastskaft/ in X- Sampa, I think.)

        Literally "splinter-free broomstick"