Re: Computer-assisted Lexicon generation

  • wordwulf
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 25, 2002
      --- In folkspraak@y..., Daan Goedkoop <dgoedkoop@g...> wrote:
      > With the two examples given it looks that it works well.
      >
      > Btw. deur means "door" in Dutch. You might mean duur (pronunciation
      dyr).

      > Door then has Eng. door, Dutch deur, German Tür and Scandinavian
      dör.
      > Eng. 6, Dutch 2,5 (?), German 1 and Swedish 2.5 (?). The average
      then is 12,
      > which makes 3 (*dir). I guess in this case it is better to count
      English as
      > 0, which makes 1,5 (*dyr).
      > If we wrote Dutch with umlaut-vowels, we would get dör (same
      pronunciation),
      > as in Swedish, and then we can see door/dör/tür/dör. 3 of 4 vowels
      are
      > umlauted and thus front vowels, and 3 of 4 are an o or ö. If you
      count it this way
      > you would get dör, and I guess that is much better than dyr or dir.
      >
      > Eng. dear (?), Dutch duur, German Teuer, Scandinavian dyr. If we
      look at
      > pronunciation we get dIIr/dyr/toier/dyr. 3 of 4 are front vowels.
      Now we see
      > that German is really different from the others, if we se the vowel
      wheel now we
      > would get 3,5/2/(6+3/2)=4,5/2, total 12, which makes 3 (*dir).
      However, if
      > you count o as 0, which is also possible (it is a wheel), you get
      3,5/2/1,5/2,
      > total 9, which makes 2 (*dyr). I think that would not be a bad
      choice, as
      > this form is found exactly the same in 2 of the 4 source languages.
      >
      > Eng. deer (shifted meaning), Dutch dier, German Tier, Scandinavian
      dyr.
      > Pronunciation dIIr, dier, tier, dyr. All front. Now vowel wheel:
      3,5/3/3/2, total
      > 11,5, makes 2,8 (*dir, or dier, depends on how to write long i).
      Looks to
      > work right.
      >
      > Eng. beast, Dutch beest, German n/a, Scandinavian n/a isn't the
      right coice,
      > only found in two of 4 languages.

      > door/deur/tür/dör = dir/dyr/DÖR
      > deer/dier/tier/dyr = DIR/DIER
      > dear/duur/teuer/dyr = DYR
      >
      > Erik: Ik denke it ar gud, but not with DOOR.
      >
      > Daan.

      Hmm, door, well, if we look at Old High German, we see the uo
      raising, so the original vowel was probably a back vowel. So-a=1,
      o=2, u=3, y=4. English oo=2, Dutch eu=1.5, Swedish umlauted o= plain
      o or 2, and German umlauted u = 4, total 9.5, divided by 4 = 2.37 or
      o, so we get Folkspraak *dor. So which number you assign to each
      vowel at the beginning makes a big difference. I guess this system
      needs tweaking.
      Dank so myk,
      Erik