Spelling

  • tungol65
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2002
      Goddag folksprakeren.

      Just a few thoughts on inconsistencies in the spellings of proposed
      vocabularies. For comment.

      Short vowels are generally shown by following them with a doubled
      consonant,

      "ribb – rib" I suggest therefore the "lip" should be spelt as "lipp"
      to indicate a short vowel.

      however what if a vowel ends a word, such as the proposed "see –
      lake", "kni – knee" or "ta – toe"

      I guess we could say, if the vowel is long at the end of a word we
      doubled the vowel as in "see – lake", making the assumption
      that "kni" has a long vowel, and rhymes with English "knee" should we
      not spell it "knii"? Also is "ta" with a long or short vowel? how can
      we tell? If long should we spell it "taa"

      Or could we write all long vowels simply by doubling
      them "aa", "ee", "oo" all look familiar, I guess "ii" and "uu" would
      take some getting used to.

      "ej" is a proposed word for "island", and "deim" the popular choice
      for "them". Again I am assuming the "ej" and "ei" both represent the
      same diphthong. Should we not decide on one or the other? Perhaps
      using "j" to form diphthongs rather than "i", this "aj", "ej" or "oj"

      In enhed ond frendskap
      Robert
    • Daan
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2002
        >Or could we write all long vowels simply by doubling
        >them "aa", "ee", "oo" all look familiar, I guess "ii" and "uu" would
        >take some getting used to.

        uu is right, ii not. 'Ie' is better, as we find it in German (hier,
        bier...), Dutch(hier, bier...) and Danish (tiende...)

        Daan.
      • wordwulf
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 9, 2002
          --- In folkspraak@y..., "tungol65" <robert.young24@n...> wrote:
          > Goddag folksprakeren.
          >
          > Just a few thoughts on inconsistencies in the spellings of proposed
          > vocabularies. For comment.
          >
          > Short vowels are generally shown by following them with a doubled
          > consonant,
          >
          > "ribb – rib" I suggest therefore the "lip" should be spelt
          as "lipp"
          > to indicate a short vowel.
          >
          > however what if a vowel ends a word, such as the proposed "see –
          > lake", "kni – knee" or "ta – toe"
          >
          > I guess we could say, if the vowel is long at the end of a word we
          > doubled the vowel as in "see – lake", making the assumption
          > that "kni" has a long vowel, and rhymes with English "knee" should
          we
          > not spell it "knii"? Also is "ta" with a long or short vowel? how
          can
          > we tell? If long should we spell it "taa"
          >
          > Or could we write all long vowels simply by doubling
          > them "aa", "ee", "oo" all look familiar, I guess "ii" and "uu"
          would
          > take some getting used to.
          >
          > "ej" is a proposed word for "island", and "deim" the popular choice
          > for "them". Again I am assuming the "ej" and "ei" both represent
          the
          > same diphthong. Should we not decide on one or the other? Perhaps
          > using "j" to form diphthongs rather than "i", this "aj", "ej"
          or "oj"

          > In enhed ond frendskap
          > Robert

          Goddag,
          The way I see it, there isn't any problem with final vowels. The
          pronunciation rule is that stressed vowels followed by one or no
          consonant are pronounced long. All other vowels are pronounced
          short. Thus, *kni, being a noun, will have a stressed vowel and will
          be pronounced long. *de, being an article, is unstressed and thus
          pronounced short. *ga, being a verb, is stressed on the main vowel
          and pronounced /ga:/, while *fall is stressed on the main vowel but
          is followed by two consonants, so it is pronounced short. *her
          (here) is pronounced long, but *Herr (Mr.) is pronounced short.

          I agree with you that the ei diphthong needs to be consistent. I
          prefer using ei for diphthongs and keeping -j- for the beginnings of
          syllables, as in *jar (year) or *jung (young), but having *dei (they)
          and *ei (island or egg).

          Best gryten
          Erik
        • tungol65
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2002
            --- In folkspraak@y..., "wordwulf" <eparsels@n...> wrote:
            > --- In folkspraak@y..., "tungol65" <robert.young24@n...> wrote:
            > > Goddag folksprakeren.
            > >
            > > Just a few thoughts on inconsistencies in the spellings of
            proposed
            > > vocabularies. For comment.
            > >
            > > Short vowels are generally shown by following them with a doubled
            > > consonant,
            > >
            > > "ribb – rib" I suggest therefore the "lip" should be spelt
            > as "lipp"
            > > to indicate a short vowel.
            > >
            > > however what if a vowel ends a word, such as the proposed "see –
            > > lake", "kni – knee" or "ta – toe"
            > >
            > > I guess we could say, if the vowel is long at the end of a word
            we
            > > doubled the vowel as in "see – lake", making the assumption
            > > that "kni" has a long vowel, and rhymes with English "knee"
            should
            > we
            > > not spell it "knii"? Also is "ta" with a long or short vowel? how
            > can
            > > we tell? If long should we spell it "taa"
            > >
            > > Or could we write all long vowels simply by doubling
            > > them "aa", "ee", "oo" all look familiar, I guess "ii" and "uu"
            > would
            > > take some getting used to.
            > >
            > > "ej" is a proposed word for "island", and "deim" the popular
            choice
            > > for "them". Again I am assuming the "ej" and "ei" both represent
            > the
            > > same diphthong. Should we not decide on one or the other? Perhaps
            > > using "j" to form diphthongs rather than "i", this "aj", "ej"
            > or "oj"
            > >
            > > In enhed ond frendskap
            > > Robert
            >
            > Goddag,
            > The way I see it, there isn't any problem with final vowels. The
            > pronunciation rule is that stressed vowels followed by one or no
            > consonant are pronounced long. All other vowels are pronounced
            > short. Thus, *kni, being a noun, will have a stressed vowel and
            will
            > be pronounced long. *de, being an article, is unstressed and thus
            > pronounced short. *ga, being a verb, is stressed on the main vowel
            > and pronounced /ga:/, while *fall is stressed on the main vowel but
            > is followed by two consonants, so it is pronounced short. *her
            > (here) is pronounced long, but *Herr (Mr.) is pronounced short.
            >
            > I agree with you that the ei diphthong needs to be consistent. I
            > prefer using ei for diphthongs and keeping -j- for the beginnings
            of
            > syllables, as in *jar (year) or *jung (young), but having *dei
            (they)
            > and *ei (island or egg).
            >
            > Best gryten
            > Erik

            Thanks for explanation, then shouldn't "see" being a noun, be
            stressed with a long vowel and be just written "se"

            Regards Robert.
          • wordwulf
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 10, 2002
              --- In folkspraak@y..., "tungol65" <rdw.young@n...> wrote:
> [...]
              > > pronounced short. *ga, being a verb, is stressed on the main
              vowel
              > > and pronounced /ga:/, while *fall is stressed on the main vowel
              but
              > > is followed by two consonants, so it is pronounced short. *her
              > > (here) is pronounced long, but *Herr (Mr.) is pronounced short.
              > >
              > > I agree with you that the ei diphthong needs to be consistent. I
              > > prefer using ei for diphthongs and keeping -j- for the beginnings
              > of
              > > syllables, as in *jar (year) or *jung (young), but having *dei
              > (they)
              > > and *ei (island or egg).
              > >
              > > Best gryten
              > > Erik
              >
              > Thanks for explanation, then shouldn't "see" being a noun, be
              > stressed with a long vowel and be just written "se"

              Ja, det ar riktig. De enig ensyllabelvord med en kort endvokal dat ik
              kann denke om nu ar *de (the). All de anderen ar lang, denk ik. So
              *kni (knee), *tre (tree), *bi (by), *du (you), *se (see or sea), *vi
              (we), *fri (free), *dri (three), *ku (cow), *sne (snow), *ga (go),
              *sta (stand), *hu (how), *sko (shoe), etc. are all long. And, of
              course, diphthongs are long, so *dei/deir/dem (they), etc.

              Hertligst gryten
              Erik
            • Anders
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 26, 2006
                David, you have put a solid grammar among the group's files. Have you
                consisdered adding an appendix with your complete spelling rules to it?

                Anders

                Du stora storm, du är min själ, och du är utan bo,
                du sett för mycket för att vila mer.
                Men hälsa allt som andas i tysta dalars ro
                och säg mig alla under som där sker!
                --Dan Andersson
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 26, 2006
                  I have considered it, and I will some day soon(ish). I might make a few
                  other little adjustments too.
                  Example, I think that I will change my plural ending from "-e" to "-en".
                  This will allow nouns to end in "-e" when warranted. It will also allow
                  a "-e" suffix to be used to form nouns from adjectives. eg ald = a.
                  old. alde = n. old thing or person.
                  I will add a "fon" preposition based on DE von and NL van. This will
                  provide an unambiguous preposition to express a relationship of
                  possession. It also can be used to denote the agent of a passive sentence.
                  This will free up "av" to be used only in the manner of EN "off" and DE "ab"
                  eg Mîn burs werded stolen FON en tiuv = My wallet was stolen BY a thief.
                  Romeo on' Juliet FON William Shakespear = Romeo and Juliet BY William
                  Shakespear.
                  The "werde" verb will be used to form passive sentences, rather than "wese"
                  So "Sîn hûs was brekd av de wirvelwind." becomes "Sîn hûs werded brekd
                  fon de wirvelwind" (His house was destroyed by the tornado)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 26, 2006
                    I like to hear that, David. Then our two Folkspraks will have more in
                    common, since my FS already uses "-en" as the plural suffix and "-e"
                    in order to form nouns from adjectives. Good choice! ;-)

                    Bye,
                    Stephan

                    --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, David Parke <parked@...> wrote:

                    > I have considered it, and I will some day soon(ish). I might make a few
                    > other little adjustments too.
                    > Example, I think that I will change my plural ending from "-e" to
                    "-en".
                    > This will allow nouns to end in "-e" when warranted. It will also allow
                    > a "-e" suffix to be used to form nouns from adjectives. eg ald = a.
                    > old. alde = n. old thing or person.
                    > I will add a "fon" preposition based on DE von and NL van. This will
                    > provide an unambiguous preposition to express a relationship of
                    > possession. It also can be used to denote the agent of a passive
                    sentence.
                    > This will free up "av" to be used only in the manner of EN "off" and
                    DE "ab"
                    > eg Mîn burs werded stolen FON en tiuv = My wallet was stolen BY a
                    thief.
                    > Romeo on' Juliet FON William Shakespear = Romeo and Juliet BY William
                    > Shakespear.
                    > The "werde" verb will be used to form passive sentences, rather than
                    "wese"
                    > So "Sîn hûs was brekd av de wirvelwind." becomes "Sîn hûs werded brekd
                    > fon de wirvelwind" (His house was destroyed by the tornado)
                    >
                    > Anders wrote:
                    >
                    > > David, you have put a solid grammar among the group's files. Have you
                    > > consisdered adding an appendix with your complete spelling rules
                    to it?

                    > > Anders
                    > >
                    > > Du stora storm, du är min själ, och du är utan bo,
                    > > du sett för mycket för att vila mer.
                    > > Men hälsa allt som andas i tysta dalars ro
                    > > och säg mig alla under som där sker!
                    > > --Dan Andersson

                    25/07/2006