Re: Titles

  • anorak222
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21 2:14 AM
      --- In folkspraak@y..., Abrigon Gusiq <abrigon@y...> wrote:
      > One thing I like in German, is there is two princes.
      >
      > One in a ruler in his/her own right, the other is the son/daughter
      of a
      > King or like royal (Emperor, Archduke!).
      >
      > Fursten = first one
      > Prinz = royal prince.

      Yes.

      > Fursten von Walen = Prince of Wales

      :-) "Fürst von Walen" = "Prince of whales"

      It's actually "Prinz von Wales"; we think of him more as the son of
      the current Queen. And Wales (the country) is "Wales" too, it has no
      distinct German name. In any case it has nothing to do with sealiving
      mammals.

      Regards
    • Daan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21 4:49 AM
        >> Fursten von Walen = Prince of Wales
        >
        >:-) "F�rst von Walen" = "Prince of whales"

        Walen is the Dutch word for Wallons (French-speaking Belgians), by the way.

        Daan (dgoedkoop@...).
      • Jan-Willem Benjamins
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22 12:20 AM
          --- Daan <dgoedkoop@...> skrev: > >> Fursten von Walen = Prince of
          Wales

          > >:-) "Fürst von Walen" = "Prince of whales"
          >
          > Walen is the Dutch word for Wallons (French-speaking Belgians), by
          > the way.

          If memory serves me right, the word Waals/Welsh/Welsch originally just
          meant "foreigner", so: somenone who isn't
          dutch/diets/duits/deutsch/anglo-saxon. It was really just an "us" vs.
          "them" thing.

          JW

          Gratis e-mail resten av livet på www.yahoo.se/mail
          Busenkelt!