Re: [folkspraak] Ge-

  • anorak222
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 4, 2002
      --- In folkspraak@y..., bonesplitter@e... wrote:

      > But however, if you put in the Ge prefix in Folkspraak we have a
      >language wich reminds a little to much of German and dutch,
      >considering that pronounciation is allready like in german and that
      >we use bine instaed of "er" or "are"

      Is "bine" settled already? Damn I missed that. I only read the list
      intermittently, servers me right.

      >so i order to make this a launguage for all speakers of the
      >germanic laungauges not only Germans and dutch, i say abbandon the
      >ge-prefix, but preserve the german word order with the perfect
      >tense in the end of the sentence.

      I agree with your notion of not making the language "too German", but
      I'd have preferred the reverse compromise: Scandinavian/English "er"
      or "ar" for "to be", participles with German/Dutch "ge-" prefix. I
      dislike "bine" for various reasons (sounds awkward, not intuitive),
      but I like "ge-" for the reasons posted by others. But if it's
      settled, I'm late I guess ...

      Regards

      wolfgang
    • bribri56@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 4, 2002
        Don't worry Wolfie - in the posts ER or AR seems to be winning out over BINE
        or variants thereof.
      • bonesplitter@email.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 10, 2002
          From: bribri56@...
          Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 00:39:16 EDT
          To: folkspraak@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [folkspraak] Ge-

          > Don't worry Wolfie - in the posts ER or AR seems to be winning out over BINE
          > or variants thereof.

          that sounds nice i think, it gives the language more of a soul if everything doesn't goe by the rules, it would seem that folkspraak is becoming increasingly irreguellar or am i wrong ?
          but still i would like somesort of a list of rules and words which isn't as outdated as the one on the folspraak institut.
          http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

          http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=N2P0602NEP8
        • hanskamp2001
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 23, 2002
            --- In folkspraak@y..., "wordwulf" <eparsels@n...> wrote:
            > Goddag folksprakeren,
            > Ik denke dat vi skulle bruke de ge- prefiks for perfektiv verben,
            net
            > for de perfektiv partisipel.
            > To bispel: ete 'to eat', geete 'to eat up', Breke 'to break',
            gebreke
            > 'to break up/break to pieces', pakke 'to pack (something)',
            gepakke
            > 'to pack up completely', bruke 'to use', gebruke 'to use up/make
            > thorough use of'.
            > Vat denke ji um dis ide?

            I would like to use the prefix ge- for building participles not for
            changing the meaning of infinitives:

            Ete - geeted = eat - eaten.
            Breke - gebreked = break - broken.
            Pakke - gepakked = pack - packed.
            Bruke - gebruked = use - used.
            Etc.

            Hans Kamp.
          • hanskamp2001
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 23, 2002
              --- In folkspraak@y..., bribri56@a... wrote:
              > Question:
              > How do German, Dutch, and the Scandinavian languages make use of
              the ge-
              > prefix or its national equivalent? I thought that English and
              Swe/Dan/Nor had
              > abandoned it, (with a few anachronistic exceptions) and that it is
              less
              > important in Dutch than in German. Is this prefix really a
              necessary aid in
              > understanding the meaning of a word?

              In Dutch ge- is used to build participles when there isn't already
              another prefix:
              Eten - gegeten (only here a g is inserted) = eat - eaten;
              Maken - gemaakt = make - made;
              Doen - gedaan = do - done;
              Praten - gepraat = talk - talked.
              Even in case of verbs ending with -eren, that are often from Romanic
              origin:
              Telefoneren - getelefoneerd = phone - phoned;
              Proberen - geprobeerd = try - tried;
              Discussiƫren - gediscussieerd = discuss/argue - discussed/argued;

              But:
              Beginnen - begonnen = begin - begun.
              Verhullen - verhuld = hide - hidden.

              In German ge- is used to build participles only when the verb has a
              Germanic origin and doesn't end with -ieren:
              Essen - gegessen = eat - eaten.
              Machen - gemacht = make - made.
              Tun - getan = do - done.
              Sprechen - gesprochen = speak - spoken.

              But:
              Telefonieren - telefoniert = phone - phoned;
              Diskutieren - diskutiert = discuss - discussed.

              The same in Afrikaans:
              Eet - geƫet = eat - eaten.
              Maak - gemaak = make - made.
              Doen - gedoen = do - done.
              Praat - gepraat = talk - talked.

              I don't know what Afrikaans does with words from Romanic origin:
              ending with -eer;
              Telefoneer - (ge)telefoneer = phone - phoned;
              Probeer - (ge)probeer = try - tried.

              Hans Kamp.