Re: questions

  • wordwulf
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29 8:38 PM
      --- In folkspraak@y..., "peter_reep" <peter_reep@y...> wrote:
      > Yes, this would work in these cases, but I suspect it will have to
      be
      > a more complicated rule. Consider:
      >
      > Vat strek de Auto?
      > Ik vet nit vat strek de Auto.
      > Det var de Bus dat strek de Auto.
      >
      > De Auto strek vat?
      > Ik vet nit vat de Auto strek.
      > Det var de Bom dat de Auto strek.
      >
      > So should the rule be:
      > The object always comes after the subject in the main clause, but in
      > a subordinate clause...
      > Or should the above subordinate clauses have their order changed?
      >
      > I will try to think up other examples to test the rule when I've
      more
      > time.
      >
      > Peter

      Hmmm...
      Perhaps we should say that:
      a) the subject always comes before the object in main clauses
      b) in relative pronoun subordinate clauses where the relative pronoun
      is in the object case, it is separated from the verb by the subject.

      De auto slagde de bom.
      De auto slagde vat?
      Ik vet net vat de auto slagde.
      Hi fragde vat de auto slagde.
      Hi fragde vat slagde de auto.
      De tug slagde de auto.
      Vann slagde de tug de auto?
      Hi fragde vann de tug slagde de auto.
      vat have de auto slagt?
      Vat have slagt de auto?
      En tug have slagt de auto.
      De auto have slagt en bom.
      Have de auto slagt en bom?

      Thus, only the subject or an adverb can occur immediately in front of
      a verb. If an object pronoun occurs before the main verb, the subject
      comes next, right before the verb. Helping verbs come before the
      subject in questions, but the participle/main verb never does. Whew!
      This is beginning to get complicated.

      Hows that?
      Erik