Re: Folksprak Facebook

  • David
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 29, 2012
      I would have to say, I still think Yahoo groups is a better platform for this kind of project than Facebook. Messages on Facebook soon float away, never to be seen again. It's hard to refer back to an old conversation. Also the file hosting on FB is clumsy. There seems to be no way to organize files in folders, and the description of files only appears as a volatile message -- which is soon buried under any new messages/threads/topic. The lesson from this, is that files hosted on FB need to have a very relevant and descriptive file-name.

      My main reason for suggesting Facebook is it's popularity means we're more likely to get seen and attract fresh people.

      BTW, one reason I'm only luke-warm about real-time chat, is I'm in an awkward timezone. I can't always respond instantly. And I prefer a more carefully considered discourse -- less likelihood of me making stupid, flippant remarks that get me in trouble).

      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Fenris <fenris.kcf@...> wrote:

      > Hmm, nope. I'm absolutely not willing to join facebook. If you follow
      > this thread you will notice that others also mentioned their aversion
      > against it. Still i think it's a good idea to have the group and spread
      > the word via this so called /social network/. But noone should be forced
      > to use it in any way. That and the fact that yahoo-groups and
      > mailing-lists are out-dated, inconvenient and awkward for such a project
      > (not in general) were the reasons for me to suggest the creation of a
      > different ressource, namely a Wiki.
      >
      > It's OK for me if the IRC-channel-thing is dropped. But i definitely
      > want to hold on the idea of a better platform for storing, organizing
      > and accessing information about Folkspraak, its grammer, its vocabulary
      > and so on.
      >
      > Christian
      >

      > Am 28.12.2012 01:07, schrieb Andrew Jarrette:
      > >
      > > Well, we've already got the Facebook group for conversations and
      > > questions; I don't quite know what you mean about bundling and
      > > structuring information, data, or learning-material, although there's
      > > plenty of learning-material at the Yahoo group. But maybe a Wiki
      > > version of that would be more convenient. I suggest you join the
      > > Facebook group (first join Facebook if you haven't already) and broach
      > > this topic there.
      > >
      > > Andrew.

    • Nissa Annakindt
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 1, 2013
        I already joined. I think having a Facebook page also would be a good idea,
        not everyone likes to join the groups.