Re: Folksprak Facebook

  • David
    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 21, 2012
      The problem is, that using Yahoo is, not so much locking people out, but it is obscuring the project, given that Yahoo groups seem to be an un-used backwater now.

      Facebook will help interested people find it in a way that is convenient to the millions of FB users.

      As an example of the issue we face, the Germaniconlang Yahoo group has seen all of 30 messages over the last 12 months. This is a Yahoo group dedicated to any sort of Germanic conlang. But on the Facebook conlangs group, I encounter new people interested in Germanic conlangs all the time. When I post on Yahoo, no one's listening, or at least no one is replying. On Facebook most posts about Folksprak, or Samskandinavisk or Frenkisch or SinPlatt will get some kind of reply -- even if it's just a "like", it's nice to know that someone is reading.

      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Christian FraƟ <fenris.kcf@...> wrote:

      > After reading your suggestion i first didn't dare to say something
      > against facebook, but it seems i'm not the only one disliking it...
      > Sure it would be an improvement over the yahoo-group. But it looks like
      > it would lock out many people, that are not willing to use facebook -
      > like me for example.
      > My suggestion as an alternative would be to create a *Wiki* and an
      > *IRC-Channel* (or an XMPP-MUC). The Wiki for bundeling information,
      > data, learning-material, etc. and the Chatroom for conversations,
      > questions, practising and so on.
      >
      > Greetings,
      > Christian
      >

      > Am 21.11.2012 02:40, schrieb David:
      > >
      > > This group has got really quiet lately. In fact, all the Yahoo conlang
      > > groups that I subscribe to are increasingly unused.
      > >
      > > I'm not entirely pessimistic -- I think it says something about the
      > > changing landscape of Social media. Yahoo groups aren't the
      > > state-of-the-art or fashionable. anymore.
      > >
      > > There are a few very lively conlanging groups established on Facebook
      > > now. I contribute to those.
      > >
      > > I think that we should found a Folksprak Facebook group. I think this
      > > may be a more attractive and fashionable forum for developing this
      > > project.
      > >
      > > Anybody have anything to add?
      > >
      > > --David Parke ~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~ end group email -->

    • Nissa Annakindt
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 1, 2013
        I already joined. I think having a Facebook page also would be a good idea,
        not everyone likes to join the groups.