Re: Folksprak Facebook

  • ijzeren_jan
    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 21, 2012
      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "David" <parked@...> wrote:

      > I'm not a huge fan of Facebook, basically for the privacy reasons.

      Me neither. But then, nobody forces you to share any personal info on FB or upload your vacation pictures.

      But let's be realistic. Mailing lists are slowly becoming a relic from the past, populated only by old-fashioned people like myself (mostly in their forties or older) who dislike anonymity and sign their mails with their real name. Ten years ago numerous Yahoo! groups emerged that were dedicated to particular conlangs or conlang types, but only a small number of them are still active, and practically all of them are less active. Nowadays most people, especially the younger ones, prefer Internet fora and social media.

      Personally, I don't like Facebook very much. Most of all, for two reasons. First of all, all the stupid kindergarten "like this" and "share that" stuff. And most of all, Facebook was clearly not made for having intelligent discussions. Basically everything is archived, but the complete lack of search tools makes it virtually impossible to retrace an interesting bit of discussion from half a year ago.

      The advantage, on the other hand, is that you can easily attract people who would never subscribe to a mailing list and build a more active group. Another advantage is that there are never any problems with encoding (which on many fora and mailing lists is still a disease).

      Cheers,
      Jan
    • Nissa Annakindt
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 1, 2013
        I already joined. I think having a Facebook page also would be a good idea,
        not everyone likes to join the groups.