Neoproto

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 2012
      Re: Polens dreum (a reaction from a string at Frenkish)

      A few years ago at Folkspraak we (David and I) had a conlang, which I called
      Neoproto if I remember well, loosely based on Proto-Germanic.
      But it was not too complicated and without all the difficult signs and letters.
      David do you know when we discussed this, so that others can find it back?

      Ingmar

      --- In frenkisch@yahoogroups.com, "Hermann" <hphilipps@...> wrote:

      > In fact, I have ordered Don Ringe's book on the early development to
      Proro-Germanic. Obviously I need some more background. This must be a
      fascinating language thriller!
      > Cheers,
      > Hermann
      >
      > --- In frenkisch@yahoogroups.com, "Hermann" <hphilipps@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Too advanced:
      > > Ikk swaliko hlahjaði!--> Swaliko hlahjana deðim.
      > >
      > > --- In frenkisch@yahoogroups.com, "Hermann" <hphilipps@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Þatta mikkilo guði ist. Ikk swaliko hlahjaði!

      also noch ohne Konkurrenz ein supereinfaches Protogermanisch-Interlingua
      basteln. Und das ist ja gerade das Vergnügen.

      Nomadenkrieger, und sie radebrechen in einem simplifizierten Protogermanisch
      ohne viel Deklination und Konjugation. Mal sehen, was dabei herauskommt.

      herausgekommen ist. Aspekte wurden zu Tempora, und das Perfektiv ging fast immer
      verloren. Drei Kasus wurden weggeworfen und das Radebrechen des indoeuropäischen
      Klangsystems nennt man heute "Grimmsche Gesetze"...

    • David
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 26, 2012
        This was discussed or proposed on the Frenkisch group:

        First message is here:

        A proposed phonology is here:
        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0P46UH7KfQQB3uXPITNJrPh24Z3PDsjwv0XPwiZg9ani_D8zAkHwrK8kjkDx-2352MRyZSjiO831J1Y67poudA/prototyping%20sprak%20samples.pdf

        I wasn't proposing a language based exactly on Proto-Germanic, but on the etymological prototypes of words. This would often produce words identical to PG, but also would often produce more evolved words where common evolutions away from PG had occurred. For example, PG did not have i-mutation (yet), in my proposal, if i-mutation had happened to the stem-vowel in all the living Germanic languages, then it would be applied in the prototyping language.

        The language, as I proposed it, would resemble Proto-germanic to about the same extent that Interlingua resembles medieval Latin.

        > Re: Polens dreum (a reaction from a string at Frenkish)
        >

        > A few years ago at Folkspraak we (David and I) had a conlang, which I called
        > Neoproto if I remember well, loosely based on Proto-Germanic.
        > But it was not too complicated and without all the difficult signs and letters.
        > David do you know when we discussed this, so that others can find it back?
        >
        > Ingmar
        >
        > --- In frenkisch@yahoogroups.com, "Hermann" <hphilipps@> wrote:
        > >
        > > In fact, I have ordered Don Ringe's book on the early development to
        > Proro-Germanic. Obviously I need some more background. This must be a
        > fascinating language thriller!
        > > Cheers,
        > > Hermann
        > >
        > > --- In frenkisch@yahoogroups.com, "Hermann" <hphilipps@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Too advanced:
        > > > Ikk swaliko hlahjaði!--> Swaliko hlahjana deðim.

        > also noch ohne Konkurrenz ein supereinfaches Protogermanisch-Interlingua
        > basteln. Und das ist ja gerade das Vergnügen.

        > Nomadenkrieger, und sie radebrechen in einem simplifizierten Protogermanisch
        > ohne viel Deklination und Konjugation. Mal sehen, was dabei herauskommt.

        > herausgekommen ist. Aspekte wurden zu Tempora, und das Perfektiv ging fast immer
        > verloren. Drei Kasus wurden weggeworfen und das Radebrechen des indoeuropäischen
        > Klangsystems nennt man heute "Grimmsche Gesetze"...

      • Hermann
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 27, 2012
          Ah. Well, your idea makes true sense if real-world applicability is considered -- as it should be with practical-minded people.
          I didn't consider any practicality but the mere fun of a very archaic but still excessively simple "urgermanisch" sort of pidgin. Nothing really serious.
          As I am now heavily involved in editing a Volapük-English dictionary translated from a large Volapük-German one, I probably won't find the time to dabble in proto-Germanic.

          Volapük does not any longer fight for world domination, but nevertheless it is a fascinating intellectual and mental challenge.
          Anybody interested? See here: http://www.volapuk.evertype.com/

          Cheers,
          Hermann