Re: Somebody I used to know

  • swartsaxon
    Message 1 of 65 , Dec 8, 2011
      Unfortunately I can no longer find the song. But what you say is probably right.

      Message 65 of 65 , Jan 16, 2012
        No sign of the Faces of Tomorrow creator ever doing a North American
        site. It's been awhile since that (very fascinating) site was updated.
        The technique the author used is quite simple and software to do it is
        basically free. You just need a camera, some morphing software and a lot
        of free time and patience. My guess is that if you repeated the
        experiment in an American city with a high-ish proportion of
        Afro-Americans, you would find the average face to look a bit like the
        Brazilian faces. Brazil like the USA and Canada has a very mixed
        population, with large numbers from Europe and from Africa. I assume,
        there would be a somewhat larger percentage of Brazilians with South
        European ancestry than in the USA. But Brazil's population also includes
        many of Celtic, British and German ancestry. I've known Brazilians who
        are pale-freckled red heads. And other's who are pretty much black. Just
        Brazilians seem to attach less stigma to racial mixing than the USA.

        The genetics of height a rather complicated. There are a lot of
        different genes involved. Not to mention that diet and environment
        contribute a lot.
        Often people of mixed race can end up taller than either parent.
        For example, people of sub-saharan African ancestry tend to have
        relatively long legs as a proportion of total body height. That's the
        main reason why black people do so well in the track events in the
        Olympics. East Asians tend to have short legs as a proportion of total
        height. Europeans tend to be about halfway between two. So if you put
        two people side by side, an African and Asian, and they are the same
        total height, the African's legs would be longer. And the Asian's torso
        would be longer. Of course, I'm talking about tendencies and averages
        here. Individual results may vary.
        One scenario is when an Afro and a Asian couple have children, one of
        the kids will inherit the long African legs and the long Asian torso.
        The result is a really tall person. Just as likely, the opposite could
        happen -- the tall kid could have a brother with a short African torso
        and short Asian legs. It's a genetic lottery and some families might
        only have children with the tall genes, others with only the short genes
        and others a mix.

        Andrew, from what you describe, it sounds like your dad is taller than
        average, but you mum is a bit shorter than average. You've just
        inherited a bit of shortness from your mum. Being mixed is often a
        blessing. You're less likely to be a degenerate. You've got a reduced
        chance of inheriting certain recessive genetic diseases -- such as
        sickle-cell anemia or multiple-sclerosis. I wish I had some brown in my
        ancestry. I have pale freckly skin that never tans, always burns and
        will probably kill me from skin-cancer. Must be why I go for the
        darker-skinned ladies, I want to make a caramel-coloured baby :-)
        My brother and I are also a little bit shorter than my dad, but my mum
        is on the short side, so we might have inherited some short genes from
        her side of family.
        My sister is taller than her Indonesian husband. But where he grew up,
        his family could not afford to eat much meat or dairy. So it will be
        interesting to see how tall their girls grow up to be.

        Back to the subject of Gotye. If I was making a ill-informed, lazy
        pre-judgement of his appearance, I'd have guessed he was French. But
        he's vlaams-talig?
        I think that we've got to stop making these assumptions about people
        based on their nationality. "Dutch people are blond". "Irish people are
        red-haired". "Australians have freckles and prematurely wrinkled skin".
        "Nigerians are black". "Chinese have slanty eyes".
        At best, it's intellectually lazy. The real world is far far more
        complicated and subtle and interesting :-)