yiddish

  • willem
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28 10:09 AM
      Hi,

      I'm missing a yiddish word list here, one of the germanic languages! with millions of speakers, probably more then ny norsk.. and much more then frisian..

      so where can i find a word list?

      sai gesunt!

      Wim
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28 4:50 PM
        Yes I wish I could find a good online dictionary. Yiddish is fascinating
        because it's an example of German that's undergone centuries of
        creolization. But then you've also got the trouble of learning an
        entirely different alphabet.

        On 29/01/2011 07:09, willem wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm missing a yiddish word list here, one of the germanic languages!
        > with millions of speakers, probably more then ny norsk.. and much more
        > then frisian..
        >
        > so where can i find a word list?
        >
        > sai gesunt!
        >
        > Wim

      • r.sookias
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28 6:10 PM
          Ja datt wuld (?) wese kul. Doh for folkspraak ek aer niht seker datt ett iss genog unlik hoeh tydish!

          --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "willem" <wkv@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm missing a yiddish word list here, one of the germanic languages! with millions of speakers, probably more then ny norsk.. and much more then frisian..
          >

          > so where can i find a word list?
          >

          > sai gesunt!
          >

          > Wim

        • Richard B
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28 7:31 PM
            This might be helpful: http://www.yiddishdictionaryonline.com/%c2%a0

            Richard
            There never was a good war or a bad peace.
            Benjamin Franklin

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 29 4:40 AM
              Thanks. Google translate also seems to have a reasonably complete
              English-Yiddish dictionary.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 29 10:27 PM
                I agree that Yiddish is not immediately relevant for Folksprak, i.e. not more than for instance Luxemburgish, Swiss German, Juttish, Scots or Afrikaans, because these are all languages or dialects that are already represented by German, Danish, English or Dutch.

                There are also Germanic languages that are really seperate and distinct, such as Frisian, Low Saxon, Icelandic, but which do not count as direct source language for Folkspraak.

                However, since Folkspraak tries to get the common features of the source languages, it will be close enough to the other Germanic languages as well.

                The funny thing is that of the living Germanic languages, closest to Folkspraak is Low Saxon ("Nedersaksisch", "Niederdeutsch")which was not chosen as a source language.