Re: 400 Folkspraak roots, and a contribution... Zee

  • TheJadeKnight@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 10, 1999
      In a message dated 12/9/1999 7:37:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      dawes@... writes:

      << Samstag Nacht Post deutsched Englisch vor viel Jahren. Es werken da.
      Warum
      nicht hier auch? >>

      Do we have a dictionary anywhere where the English speakers can look up words
      they have no clue about (like most of 'em)?
    • BriBri56@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 11, 1999
        The most accessible set of on-line translating dictionaries is probably at
        Travlang.com.

        Also, bookmark Site O' Joel - he's done a great job of collecting translating
        dictionaries at www.geocities.com/SoHo/8180/index.html.

        If you want to type in or paste in a sentence or more in a foreign language,
        then check out Babelfish's recommendations:

        "Looking for Internet Translation Services?
        These sites offer translation services:
        Altavista site @ http://babelfish.altavista.com/
        Systran Software @ http://www.systransoft.com
        Infoseek @ http://translator.go.com
        Dictionary.com @ http://www.dictionary.com/translate/ "

        For about $30 you can get LanguageForce's "Standard Universal Translator"
        CD-ROM software. It translates from English to any of 26 languages, and vice
        versa. The databases for some languages are rather small, and it don't do no
        grammar, but you can edit the word lists. I got it off an AOL banner ad, so I
        can't tell you where else to hunt it down.
      • Dan Dawes
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 13, 1999
          This is really an Englishfied version of German, if the word does not
          trigger an English association, you could find it in a German dictionary.
          The real Saturday Evening Post German was the opposite, a Germanified
          version of English, i.e. really 100% English which was just twisted to make
          it look as if it were German to English readers. Germans would have more of
          a problem with Saturday Evening Post German.

          Folkspraak Discussion List, http://www.langmaker.com/folksprk.htm