Goesk

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2010
      I found another Germanic based conlang, Goesk. Anyone familiar with it?

      http://lrennoom.com/goesk-A-outline.html
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2010
        And another Anglosaxon based one, an alternative development of English, how it might have looked like if there wouldn't have been so much French and Latin influence.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglish

        I especially liked the Shakespeare translation into Anglish:

        To be, or not to be â€" that is the asking:
        Whether ‘tis worthier in the mind to bear
        the slings and arrows of unbound mishap
        or to take fight against a sea of worries,
        and by gainstanding end them? To die, to sleep â€"
        no more â€" and by a sleep to say we end
        the heartache, and the thousand worldly blows
        that flesh is born to. ‘Tis an ending
        dearly to be wished. To die, to sleep â€"
        to sleep, maybe to dream: ay, there’s the rub;
        for in that sleep of death what dreams may come
        when we have shed our living body,
        must make us stop. There’s the thought
        that makes wretchedness of so long life.
        For who would bear the whips and slights of time,
        the overlord’s wrong, the strutter’s cockiness
        the wrench of unanswered love, the law’s sloth,
        the brazenness of might, and the spurns
        that forbearing goodness of the unworthy takes,
        when he himself might his settling make
        with a bare bradawl?

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 2010
          That's the first I've seen of it. I took about five minutes to decide
          that it wasn't really a serious or respectable attempt. Definitely an
          art-lang rather than auxlang like we're trying (sigh) to do here...

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9, 2010
            Sorry, I sounded like a pompous-ass in that reply. It was disrespectful
            of me to call the author's efforts not respectable. There's no reason
            why he must be respectable, he was having fun I assume. I just meant
            that it wasn't likely to contribute much to Folksprak's progress. There
            is a Yahoo group for Germanic languages called "Germaniconlang" that
            isn't specifically dedicated to any particular aim or language. And
            there are some other Germanic conlangs that aren't created with the goal
            of FS in mind. Jameld is one that has a long history of development
            behind it and the creator seems to have a lot of fun with it.

            David Parke wrote:
            > That's the first I've seen of it. I took about five minutes to decide
            > that it wasn't really a serious or respectable attempt. Definitely an
            > art-lang rather than auxlang like we're trying (sigh) to do here...
            >
            > chamavian wrote:
            >
            >> I found another Germanic based conlang, Goesk. Anyone familiar with it?
            >>
            >> http://lrennoom.com/goesk-A-outline.html

          • anjarrette
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 9, 2010
              How did you find this one? He says that in his spare time he hangs out at coffee shops and tells people stories about creatures from other dimensions. I wonder what his aim was in creating it.

              Andy

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 9, 2010
                I'm familiar with this one. It's a bit similar to my own attempts at creating a sort of neo-Anglo-Saxon, although my attempts are much more conservative of Anglo-Saxon vocabulary, phonology, and grammar.

                I really like the passage from Shakespeare too, it's easy to read and makes sense. Harder is the passage using revived Old English words:

                Anglish version (with revived words)
                To be, or not to be – that is the fraign:
                Whether `tis more athal in the mind to underbear
                the slings and arrows of hisceous dright
                or to take up gattow against a sea of agledge,
                and by striming end them? To die, to sleep –
                no more – and by a sleep to say we end
                the heartache, and the thousand quithin shocks
                that flesh is urphe to. `Tis a fulfilledness
                austly to be wished. To die, to sleep –
                to sleep, by hap to dream: ay, there's the rub;
                for in that sleep of death what dreams may come
                when we have shuffled off this quelworth hame,
                must give us blince. There's the lec
                that makes braughtrey of so long life.
                For who would bear the whips and canks of time,
                the downweigher's wrong, the proud man's tenquid
                the warks of hospal love, the law's ielding,
                the orgol of ambit, and the spurns
                that longstram earning of the unworthy takes,
                when he himself might his roo make
                with a bare bradawl?

                Wha?

                Andy