Re: Low Saxon, North Frisian, South Jutish, German and Danish in Sleswig

  • nordslesviger
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
      Sadly you are right when you write "could have". But I think that a natural development was disturbed because of the nationalistic conflicts in the time from around 1830 and up to after the second world war.

      The conflict, wich partly was created of the Danish elite in Copenhagen, became a conflict between the Danish and German elites languages, High Gernman and Rigsdansk. Ordinary people, who spoke Plattdüütsch, Frisian og Synnejysk, was a little by little forced to choose a side in this nationalistic conflict, especially during and after the civil war 1848-50.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
        But there still may be a lot of interest for such a common inter-germanic, because it still is a multilinguistic area and people will be proud and aware of that. Maybe it is not necessary for direct communication but it can have other benefits

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
          In Nordslesvig on the danis side of the border Plattysk og Frisisk are extinct. Synnejysk will also soon disappear. We have a German minden minority speaking Højtysk, just called Tysk.

          In Sydslesvig on the German side the Danish and Frisian minorities try to preserve their languages. Both minorities work together in Der Südschleswigsche Wählerverband. And the Danish minority has a number of schools and kindergartens. They even have a newspaper.

          I only know very little in details about the situation in Sydslesvig, but I think that the Plattdüütsh speaking population somehow is in the weakest position although their numeric strength. As far as I know there is not even a Plattdüütsch newspaper.

          I don't know if there are people interested in any kind of inter-language. But perhaps it is possible to create such an interest.
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
            I found a few interesting links re the languages of Sleswig:

            http://www.plattdeutsches-zentrum.de/

            http://www.nordfriiskinstituut.de/

            http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydslesvigdansk