Re: Words for chin and cheek?

  • adam.skoog
    Message 1 of 74 , Feb 3 3:55 PM
      Swedish käke means jaw. It's my native tongue, so I would know. The meaning I've heard for the Dutch word is similar.

      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Jarrette <anjarrette@...> wrote:

      > David wrote:
      >
      > EN cheek doesn't seem to mean exactly the same as NL kaak or SV käke.
      > And is probably not related etymologically. Etymonline says Old English
      > céake is from WG *kaukon which could not produce NL kaak or SV käke.
      > (unless they were both borrowed from Old Frisian)
      >
      > Whether it is related etymologically is debated.  However, both primitive Germanic *kaukôn and primitive Germanic *kæ:kôn would show up as <céace> in West Saxon and as <céce> in Anglian, which are exactly the forms that are found.  The controversy is mainly due to the fact that the spelling <ceoke> occurs once in late West Saxon, and this sole form seems to agree with Frisian forms (tsiake, etc.) which suggest an original *keukôn, and therefore a form *kaukôn could exist by ablaut variation.  My personal opinion is that since the normal forms in West Saxon and Anglian agree fully with Dutch <kaak> phonologically, and often mean "jaw, jawbone" as in Dutch, beside "cheek", then the English word "cheek" is probably fully cognate with the Dutch word and its Swedish correspondent.
      >
      > Andrew

    • Stephan Schneider
      Message 74 of 74 , Feb 11 5:30 AM
        Both are correct.

        Stephan

        ________________________________
        From: Stephan Schneider <stefichjo@yahoo. de>
        Subject: AW: AW: [folkspraak] Re: Words for chin and cheek?
        To: folkspraak@yahoogro ups.com

        Hello Andrew, for me "Schenkel" is the thigh, not the shank. For instance, the two arms of an angle in geometry are "Schenkel" in German, too. Another nice word with "Schenkel" is "Schenkelklopfer" , i. e. a joke that makes you hit your thigh with your hand. (It is used often ironically, saying that something was intended to be very funny, whereas the joke was rather dull.)

        Stephan

        From: Stephan Schneider <stefichjo@yahoo. de>

        Subject: AW: [folkspraak] Re: Words for chin and cheek?

        To: folkspraak@yahoogro ups.com

        We've got some activity lately, haven't we? :)

        You're right with "ritter". But it does have a suffix already. That's why it cannot receive another one in the plural form. If it were "ritt" (a "ride"), then it's plural form is "ritte". So any plural form in German has a suffix, if added or not. Therefore I don't see why you consider not having a plural suffix in FS.

        Stephan